Had A Great Time Seeing Toots & The Maytals; Dubtronic Kru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had A Great Time Seeing Toots & The Maytals; Dubtronic Kru

I just got home from Milwaukee's Summerfest, and had a great time seeing Toots & The Maytals. He was the main event on the largest of Summerfest's eight side stages which had two other reggae acts preceding him: a local reggae band called King Solomon, and Kingston-based Dubtronic Kru.

After Toots' daughter Lita sang three songs to open the show, Toots came out swinging with "Pressure Drop". That got the crowd I estimated at about 5,000 fired up, along with the smell of weed drifting through the air.

Suprisingly, the crowd knew the drill, and I could see at least two Jamaican flags in the crowd. The crowd sang and grooved for an hour and a half while Toots delivered old-school reggae with modern twists.

Dubtronic Kru performed in the time slot before Toots. Their music was equally impressive, perhaps with a bit of a harder edge, a stronger beat, than Toots. Dubtronic Kru brought out Cool Johnny Cool, a Kingston-based performer, who gave a strong performance, perhaps blurring the line between reggae and dancehall, but was given a well earned ovation.

Milwaukee JOURNAL SENTINEL Review

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainmen...125326503.html

Comment

Working...
    X