• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From long time mi a tell unno seh Soy nuh good fi eat

LETTER OF THE DAY - Not so fast, soy!

Published: Wednesday | July 6, 2011 0 Comments

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    Dr Douglas Street's article in last Saturday's Gleaner, promoting the alleged health benefits of soy, 'Healthy or not?', ignores its many adverse health effects.
    According to the independent research organisation, Soy Online Service, the phytoestrogens in unfermented soy (i.e., soy milk, soy formula and tofu) contribute to infertility in men and breast cancer in women. Soy infant formulas feminise boys because they prevent the natural testosterone surge that male infants experience in the first few months of life.
    This surge, where male infants experience testosterone levels as high as adult males, programmes boys to express male characteristics after puberty. Male children exposed during gestation to diethylstilbestrol (DES), a synthetic oestrogen that has effects on animals similar to those of phytoestrogens from soy, had testes smaller than normal on maturation (Canadian Medical Association Journal 128(10):1197-8, May 15, 1983).
    Soy also promotes premature puberty in girls. According to a study done in Puerto Rico in 1986, the most significant dietary association with premature sexual development was not chicken, but soy infant formula (American Journal of Diseases of Children 140(12):1263-1267, December 1986).
    immune disorders
    The phytic acid in soy reduces the bioavailability of iron and zinc, which are required for the development of the brain and nervous system. Soy also lacks cholesterol, which is also essential for brain and nervous system development. Additionally, soy contributes to immune disorders such as asthma, and irritable bowel syndrome.
    The only soy with health benefits is [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]organic [COLOR=blue! important]soy[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] that has been properly fermented to have the phytic acid removed. These products are tempeh, natto, miso and soy sauce. However, these products should be consumed in moderation, as they still have oestrogenic effects.
    VINCENT HENRY
    veescott@comcast.net Michigan, USA

ah willi... mi know dat long time... from de first time mi read seh soy elevate estrogen and reduce testestorone in men mi drop dat from mi diet, and dat was bout twenty-two years ago...

this letter explains a lot... why are we seeing such a rise in effeminate boys in this new generation... why are girls reaching puberty much earlier than women of previous generations... mi si all 7 year olds girls wid breast buds... many of us have long wondered why and have theorised many reasons, the steriods in food as a possible cause but this info appears more substantiative... i look forward to more on this...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
      ah willi... mi know dat long time... from de first time mi read seh soy elevate estrogen and reduce testestorone in men mi drop dat from mi diet, and dat was bout twenty-two years ago...

this letter explains a lot... why are we seeing such a rise in effeminate boys in this new generation... why are girls reaching puberty much earlier than women of previous generations... mi si all 7 year olds girls wid breast buds... many of us have long wondered why and have theorised many reasons, the steriods in food as a possible cause but this info appears more substantiative... i look forward to more on this...
      Baddaz, soy canot be the reason for this. It's usage is not that common in Jamaica, especially inner city Jamaica.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Was he talking about JA or the US?

Comment

i was really speaking of my observation of this new generation in the usa... soy based milk has mostly replaced breast milk and dairy in baby formulas due to lactose intolerance...

the jamaican inner city males is a whole different dynamic... from what i'm seeing it look like is likes and wanting tings weh dem cant afford suh dem mek demselves available fi de man dem wid money an tings... mi nuh realy kno but someting nuh right dessuh and need a study...
          'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            Soy also lacks cholesterol, which is also essential for brain and nervous system development.
            I had to come back to this. When is cholesterol intake a good thing?!? The body produces it and, as far as I know, we don't need a drop more. Indeed, some people produce more than they need, to the point where it gets dangerous.

So, it is things like this that make me wonder about the article. You wonder if it's the Milk Industry Board that sent it out.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You can be so bloody smart at times.

Saw the article and said it would be nice to see who sponsored this research.....

Almost entire civilizations depend on the prolific soy plant.

I only drink soy milk.... which reminds me to have a tall glass after work today.
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Yuh just gwaan like yuh nuh rate mi!

HL, yuh ever try di soy milk wid a shot a whites? MAAAAWD!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I think i can fid some whites ...

Will blem them later.
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                    I think i can fid some whites ...

Will blem them later.
                    HAHAHA! Every decent Jamaican household must have a bokkle somewhere!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

and with those caveats...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

lawks! how yuh suh mean pon di lazy Satday aftanoon suh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          lawks! how yuh suh mean pon di lazy Satday aftanoon suh?

Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post

===============================================

Is not the soy cause that. Ever stop to consider all the ********** that is injected into our poultry, meats etc. Not to mention, all that genetically modified foods.
                            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

I must be decent then. Thanks. What if I have more than 2? Ultra decent?

Comment

Working...
                              X