Intellectual dishonesty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intellectual dishonesty

Now, while I am not doubting the facts posed by the writer (I take them on faith), I posit that the writer tek people fi fool.

People are not yearing for the glories of old colonialist days, rather, they are looking at present day Britain and all the remaining colonies and seeing what obtains TODAY. People understand that injustices and prejudices of the past have largely (not totally) been wiped away in the rush of human progress since the 1950s. They understand that even many white English people used to be denied the basics and now all can enjoy certain basic societal rights.

Yes, even as the world is a more cruel place generally, in terms of inter-personal relationships (violence, delinquency, etc), they can see that Britain and the colonies are still much better off than what obtains in Jamaica today. The poll suggest that the responders are thinking rationally, given the evidence of our poor management of independence so far.

A pity it has to come to this, where we are now second guessing Independence!

============================================
    No need to hanker after colonial rule
    Monday, July 04, 2011

Dear Editor,
    It has been reported that 60 per cent of Jamaicans would like their country to revert to the days when Britain governed the island.
    It may be said that this burning desire to revert to the days prior to Jamaica’s Independence in 1962 is largely due to the growing dissatisfaction and frustration with the current social, economic, and political state of affairs in that island. But it may also be said that many members of the younger generation, in particular, are unaware of what transpired under the British colonial rule prior to 1962.

There is no doubt that the current level of lawlessness is alarming and disturbing. For example, the annual murder rate exceeds the pre-Independence level by more than a thousandfold. In the years prior to Independence you could count the number of annual murders on the fingers of one hand.

And it is true that successive governments have not performed in accordance with expectations of Jamaicans since Independence. Indeed, they have failed miserably.
    Nevertheless, in spite of the built-up frustrations, I do not yearn for the days when Britannia ruled the island. I am therefore disturbed with the lack of consciousness of many members of both the older and younger generation.

Both generational groups seem to be unaware that prior to Independence, 98 per cent of all eligible students were denied access to a high school education. They seem to be unaware that during the British rule blacks were denied employment in the banks and civil service, for example. They seem to be unaware that during the colonial days blacks could not set foot in the hotels, and on many of the beaches. And they seem to be unaware that many of the ills that plague the Jamaican society today directly relate to the legacy of over 300 years of British colonial rule.
    Rupert Johnson

Ontario, Canada r.b.johnson@sympatico.ca

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lette...#ixzz1REWAbVnp
    Last edited by Willi; July 5, 2011, 09:05 AM.

Mi hear seh Jamaicans a fight fi get innah dem colonies.. all need Visa..

lol ! woiie !

Comment

Well, I never thought I would live to see the day when a Jamaican PM would defend a criminal in Parliament, then lie about it then...you know the rest!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Apparently you were born after the 70s...

Comment

Thanks! Several years, actually!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ahhhm

I was talking bout regular people.

Politicians are a breed apart.

Comment

I agree 100% Willi. Nobody wants to go back to 1950s colonial Jamaica except a few plantation owners.

But people are looking at todays Cayman, Bermuda and other such places and saying "Well, it don't look so bad".

It would be interesting to know what polls in other former British colonies are saying on this topic, both in the Caribbean and in Africa.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Good point...it would be interesting.

People also looking at modern day Britain and see many walls and ceilings tron down. No black PM there, but nuff MPs and occasional Minister...

Nuff black people have top banking jobs and civili service jobs right there in Britain...and Canada too (with their black female GG).

Comment

She is no longer the GG.

Been replaced with the traditional aged gentleman of Caucasian (the popular American definition) persuasion.
                  Peter R

Comment

Working...
                  X