RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We are actually discussing Bill Johnson's Poll?!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are actually discussing Bill Johnson's Poll?!!

Personally, I’m surprised that the daily Gleaner continues to use the services of this man Bill Johnson.

This American pollster (Johnson) is, in my opinion, a joker of a pollster. Read the following extract from the newspaper article below:
    Originally posted by Dr. Hamid Ghany
    Originally posted by Dr. Hamid Ghany
    When handling the trickier aspect of conducting polls in a first-past-the-post system, Johnson translated this into a 14–three projected majority for the SLP. He was so wrong. The people of St Lucia voted resoundingly the other way.
    The article below has been copied from The Trinidad Guardian, Sunday December 17, 2006

(http://legacy.guardian.co.tt/archives/2006-12-17/HamidGhany.html )

Opinion polls vs the people in St Lucia

The victory by Sir John Compton and the United Workers Party (UWP) in St Lucia has undermined the credibility of two opinion pollsters in the Caribbean, namely Bill Johnson, who does polls for the Jamaica Gleaner and the People’s National Party (PNP) and Peter Wickham of the Barbados-based Caribbean Development Research Services (CADRES).

Both pollsters had predicted the return to power of Dr Kenny Anthony and the St Lucia Labour Party (SLP).

Perhaps, Johnson’s predictions were far more extreme than Wickham’s. Johnson predicted that the SLP would win 14 of the 17 seats, while Wickham’s worst-case outcome was predicted to be ten–seven in favour of the SLP.

The reality is that the final outcome was 11–six the other way, in favour of the UWP. The initial reaction to this is that there seemed to be a late swing in the campaign, or the methodology used by both pollsters was flawed.

In the case of Bill Johnson, his poll was conducted on November 25 and 26, but only published on December 10.

In the world of opinion polling, that kind of time delay can be misleading, because it fails to capture shifts in public opinion that have taken place in the interim.

The Johnson poll was conducted among 1,200 registered voters, and had a margin of error of plus or minus three per cent.

The poll indicated that the lead of the SLP over the UWP was 49 per cent to 32 per cent, with nine per cent undecided and ten per cent saying they would not vote.

When handling the trickier aspect of conducting polls in a first-past-the-post system, Johnson translated this into a 14–three projected majority for the SLP. He was so wrong.
    The people of St Lucia voted resoundingly the other way. Preliminary results indicate that 74,476 of the 134,443 people registered to vote cast their ballots.

This would give a turnout of about 55.39 per cent. The split between the main parties was 38,427 (51.59 per cent) for the UWP and 36,049 (48.40 per cent) for the SLP.

If one is to believe the Bill Johnson poll, then the UWP reversed an adverse 49 per cent to 32 per cent finding on November 25–26 into a 51 per cent to 48 per cent turnaround by election day.

Did the people of St Lucia shift their opinions so massively in the space of two weeks, or was this a case of a faulty methodology?

historian, isn't it noteworthy that both pollsters got it wrong... polling in the caribbean, third world by extension is extremely challenging... a whole lot of variables that are not quantifiable... how does a statistician quantify intimidation and distrust of pollsters which lead people to give false responses... it takes years to build those into the model... carl stone wasn't that accurate when he started his polling but he got better as he understood the environment and the mindset of the people...

i've done more than a fair share of surveys and polls, and know that it is not a simple undertaking, so i am willing to cut the pollsters some slack...

respect historian...

off topic, mi like de t&f piece you put ova suh... drop it ova yassuh nuh...
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

I certainly agree with you, but....

Originally posted by Baddaz View Post
      historian, isn't it noteworthy that both pollsters got it wrong... polling in the caribbean, third world by extension is extremely challenging... a whole lot of variables that are not quantifiable...

respect historian...

off topic, mi like de t&f piece you put ova suh... drop it ova yassuh nuh...
      Respect too, Baddaz my friend. I really appreciate your kind words about my post, both here and over on the track and field forum. It’s not the first you are expressing appreciation for my commentaries, and I in turn appreciate that fully .

Your points about the problems inherent in conducting surveys are, of course, excellent ones. It would be extremely difficult to argue with what you stated in your post.

However, why I started this thread is because several posters here were making a big deal over the results of a poll by the American social scientist Bill Johnson, which was published in the Gleaner, the company which regularly commissions him.
      (http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20110629/lead/lead2.html )

The point I was trying to make is that while I would certainly pay attention to Johnson’s poll, I wouldn’t waste any sleep over it. Of course, I could be very wrong in taking this strong personal stance and so I am open to counter-arguments from anyone .

By the way, Baddaz, Bill Johnson’s failure in St Lucia can hardly be compared with the shortcomings of Carl Stone or Mark Wignall (Jamaica Observer newspaper columnist Mark Wignall is the man who headed Stone’s team and carried on his work after he died). Johnson’s results were the very opposite of what eventually happened in St Lucia!! In other words, as a pollster he was as incorrect as one could possibly be!

Now, I’m aware that various independent variables can directly affect survey results, but I am still flabbergasted that a man of Johnson’s experience could make a prediction that is so incorrect it’s almost legendary! Why he still has a contract with the Gleaner Company is something I will never understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        Why he still has a contract with the Gleaner Company is something I will never understand![/FONT]
        perhaps, the gleaner feels that over the course of his career his poll results are still within the acceptable standard deviations of pollsters... lol... just saying...
        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

...yet the very article referenced points out why Johnson could have been so wrong in St. Lucia.

I wonder if any Earth shattering events occurred between the time Johnson's poll was conducted and the election in that island-state?

Then there is also the possibility that Johnson's snap-shot of the situation in Jamaica could be bang on...of course it does not mean he could not be dead wrong or anywhere between both extremes.

For my purposes and based on the responses, it had its intended purpose - shook up Lazie, Sass, Maudib and others of their ilk....at worse, I think it caused them pause.

...but what is the big deal?
          It is all part of the fun generated by these discussions. I am sure that although we give vent to our take on the political landscape in Jamaica
          I am sure we are not taking ourselves too seriously.

I expect my former schoolmate Troy Caine shall soon post his finding and they shall point to the JLP overruning the PNP. He shall like Lazie, Sass and Maudib let us know the PNP has only done wrong and the JLP only good.
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
          X