Why Clifton Brown is important!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Clifton Brown is important!!

The Clifton Brown phenomenon is extremely interesting, what is even more interesting is the varied reaction to Clifton.

1. Some people are absolutely amused without reservation.
    2. Some are amused but are ashamed to reveal that as somehow their roots card may be compromised or something, so try to twist in some unusual explanation!
    3. Some think it is a disgrace to find it funny!

The truth is all three are true depending on where you are coming from, and how you see yourself as a person within the whole Jamaican experience.

Let's look at the facts.

1. We have a disaster, a flood, and a road that cannot be crossed due to the flood water.
    2. We have a community youth who is on the scene and is making a negative thing into a positive thing for himself, I am not sure whether he is charging money for crossing the river or not but either way he is providing an invaluable service to those who are willing to use it.
    3. The youth is brave and also foolhardy to a certain degree as many of us were at that age, but clearly this man is beyond that he is enterprising and bold, which may be foolish but he is making it happen and putting himself on the line.
    4. The man has on a hardhat, this youth understands the importance of looking the part and playing the part, and whether the hard hat does anything or not since it is not strapped, he presents a striking image at the scene.
    5. It so happens that a TV crew shows up and where many at that thought would disappear for the bush, my man steps to the mike and applies the finishing touch to the final act, he actually helps people in times of danger, he dresses the part and now he talks the part.
    6. Not only does he talk the part but he steps up the rhetoric, he highlights that no one can cross it, it is dangerous and if you don't understand what you are doing it can be harmful to your health, akin to the ads that say don't try this at home as it may be fatal, he also sends the ominous warning that it may result in death, as you may wash wey to St Thomas pond, the man is direct, instructional and clearly lets every know what the possibilities are.
    7. He even takes it a notch further, the man steps up the accent and gives us a completely unique and unusual twang, that many of us know and understand at many different levels, but this man is not ashamed of what he is doing he is adapting his game to a new medium, a new time a new feeling, he has stepped up his entire game at the critical moment and his enthusiasm for the task is apparent with every word and his body language. The man nuh fraid fi express himself at all, him nuh shy!

From my standpoint Clifton is a hero, every move he has made is a positive one, there is no regret, there is only a strident and consistent effort to move forward with the resources he has at hand and he does an excellent job at it.

Those that shame probably looking too deep and probably seeing a reflection of a side of themself that they do not want to emphasize and maybe he reminds them of that old person.

what I see if the epitome of the real Jamaican youth that is enterprising, helpful and dynamic seeing an opportunity and grabbing at it with both hands and bringing all the resources that he has at hand to communicate as best as he can from where he presently stands.

I love it, make me feel proud, cause the truth is most of the youth dem probably would not be doing anything close to what this man is doing, this Clifton seem to be the enterprising country man that used to be at the heart of the Jamaican culture but seems to have disappered with the turn of the last century to be replaced by an uncaring, sullen, kissteet youth which the culture now seesm to spawn at will. give us more Clifton's I say!!!

I didn't realise some people were embarassed by the video. That can only be because of some conflict within themselves.

The man was amusing, enterprising, and helping rather than hurting. Can't really see why I would have a problem with that.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Good talk.
      ...the key is understanding.

...good advice?
      Yes! - Who the hell then cares about the twang - Whether on business money matters, or instruction on how to survive before, during or after a disaster...or good information on any number of 'things'...

Reminds of spelling - Great to be able to do it well...but who the hell knows whether one can when listening to speech?

Yes boss, it is the service being given and being able to understand what is being heard.

btw - I have often wondered if it is not a sign of being 'slow' when after being 'always' in the presence of 'Big Boy' repeated difficulty is professed or there is a real difficulty in/on understanding 'Big Boy's' way of expressing self/what 'Big Boy' is saying?????
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        btw - I have often wondered if it is not a sign of being 'slow' when after being 'always' in the presence of 'Big Boy' repeated difficulty is professed or there is a real difficulty in/on understanding 'Big Boy's' way of expressing self/what 'Big Boy' is saying?????
        HUH?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The Song of the Banana Man
          Touris, white man, wipin his face,
          Met me in Golden Grove market place.
          He looked at m'ol' clothes brown wid stain ,
          An soaked right through wid de Portlan rain,
          He cas his eye, turn up his nose,
          He says, 'You're a beggar man, I suppose?'
          He says, 'Boy, get some occupation,
          Be of some value to your nation.'
          I said, 'By God and dis big right han
          You mus recognize a banana man.

'Up in de hills, where de streams are cool,
          An mullet an janga swim in de pool,
          I have ten acres of mountain side,
          An a dainty-foot donkey dat I ride,
          Four Gros Michel, an four Lacatan,
          Some coconut trees, and some hills of yam,
          An I pasture on dat very same lan
          Five she-goats an a big black ram,
          Dat, by God an dis big right han
          Is de property of a banana man.

'I leave m'yard early-mornin time
          An set m'foot to de mountain climb,
          I ben m'back to de hot-sun toil,
          An m'cutlass rings on de stony soil,
          Ploughin an weedin, diggin an plantin
          Till Massa Sun drop back o John Crow mountain,
          Den home again in cool evenin time,
          Perhaps whistling dis likkle rhyme,
          (Sung)Praise God an m'big right han
          I will live an die a banana man.

'Banana day is my special day,
          I cut my stems an I'm on m'way,
          Load up de donkey, leave de lan
          Head down de hill to banana stan,
          When de truck comes roun I take a ride
          All de way down to de harbour side—
          Dat is de night, when you, touris man,
          Would change your place wid a banana man.
          Yes, by God, an m'big right han

'De bay is calm, an de moon is bright
          De hills look black for de sky is light,
          Down at de dock is an English ship,
          Restin after her ocean trip,
          While on de pier is a monstrous hustle,
          Tallymen, carriers, all in a bustle,
          Wid stems on deir heads in a long black snake
          Some singin de sons dat banana men make,
          Like, (Sung) Praise God an m'big right han

'Den de payment comes, an we have some fun,
          Me, Zekiel, Breda and Duppy Son.
          Down at de bar near United Wharf
          We knock back a white rum, bus a laugh,
          Fill de empty bag for further toil
          Wid saltfish, breadfruit, coconut oil.
          Den head back home to m'yard to sleep,
          A proper sleep dat is long an deep.
          Yes, by God, an m'big right han

'So when you see dese ol clothes brown wid stain,
          An soaked right through wid de Portlan rain,
          Don't cas your eye nor turn your nose,
          Don't judge a man by his patchy clothes,
          I'm a strong man, a proud man, an I'm free,
          Free as dese mountains, free as dis sea,
          I know myself, an I know my ways,
          An will sing wid pride to de end o my days
          (Sung)Praise God an m'big right han
          I will live an die a banana man.'

by Evan Jones

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Cannot understand 'Big Boy' after being in his presence for over 10 years?

I understood and appreciated what Stonigut meant by his highlighting of the contributions of Clifton Brown and what Clifton Brown represents (represents = take that in the many which ways it can be intrepreted).

...and I sure as hell understood what Clifton Brown was saying.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Big Boy? Yes! I can understand him. And Clifton.

Who I canna undastan is Karl, whose writing style is...well...just...strange?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X