• Show
Clear All

• 13-year-old Bronx girl heading to college

Move over, Doogie Howser, 13-year-old Bronx girl heading to college

BY Tanyanika Samuels
    DAILY NEWS WRITER
    Tuesday, June 21st 2011, 4:02 PM

Batin Ashante
    Autum Ashante, 13, is going to attend the University of Connecticut in the fall.

This fall, Autum Ashante will be like any other giddy freshman starting college, with one notable exception - she's 13 years old.

The Pelham Parkway teen has been accepted at the University of Connecticut, where she plans to study medicine.

"I know it's going to be hard, but I'm excited," she said.

Autum will move to Norwalk, Conn., with her father, Batin Ashante, later this summer, to be close to UConn.

"What she's doing is groundbreaking but this is not about vanity," he said.

"It's about setting the tone for other black and Latino children who will come behind her. They're always being told they are underachievers. We want to show this can be done."

Petite and cheerful, Autum has always proved exceptional. She could walk at 10 months old; she could read at age 2 and by the time she was 3, she was writing and performing poetry.

By age 8, she reportedly had an IQ of 149 (the average college graduate has an IQ score of 115).

Her father took it all in stride.

"She would stand on stage and read a book, and everyone used to marvel at that," he said. "I just thought 'How do I enhance this?' "

Ashante, a single father, chose to home-school his daughter and sought out retired teachers from the community to help tutor her. Autum, who speaks Arabic, Swahili and Spanish, has never set foot in a classroom, but that's all right with her.

"My dad always says 'the world is a classroom.' I got to go places and do different things, so it never really is boring," she said.

Indeed, Autum keeps quite busy. She regularly performs spoken-word poems at different venues across the country; she does muay thai, a form of kickboxing, and she is working on a photography/poetry book and a spoken-word album.

In her downtime, she likes to read mysteries, work out and "play around and be crazy" with her friends.

"She is a blessing from God," Ashante said. "All the things we've gotten to do together have been a blessing."

Raising a genius though, he said, has its challenges. The 50-year-old retired Corrections officer said he sometimes struggles to keep up with Autum's active mind.

"She tries to outthink me all the time," he laughed. "She's quick with it. You have to be sharp. She has me drinking ginkgo on the regular."

tsamuels@nydailynews.com
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

All I can say is wow! Looks like she will attend the UCONN campus in Stamford.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

While we will always have these prodigies I wonder if I would send my child to College at age 13.... who will she have as peers and she will spend three or four years by herself and wont be able to progress sociable.

She cant drink and she cant go to parties and will have to get parents permission for most things that would come naturally for college aged people... give her a few years to be a teenager then send her...
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

single father .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

you think she'll go wild?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
            She has me drinking ginkgo on the regular."

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

My niece at 13 pass the Duke college entry test program. My brother is not thinking of sending her anywhere yet. I can't blame him, because while she is very bright, there is a lot she need to learn.

I remember I was in a class with a 15 year old when I was in my last year of college. He looked big so until I was told I didn't know but he had no social skills whatsoever and tried to show off on some of the students in class. He was lucky them never do nothing to him out of class.

I wish her the best still, she might be mature enough.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post

Yuh see yuh
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

Could this happen in Jamaica?

Comment

Working...
                  X