• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Tivoli enquiry would also be a waste of time

A Tivoli enquiry would also be a waste of time

Wignall's World
    Mark Wignall

Sunday, June 19, 2011

HAVING been sufficiently informed by the perfect vision of hindsight, it has now come to us that the Dudus/Manatt extradition enquiry was the easier route instead of the nation making an incisive probe into the deaths of over 70 people in Tivoli Gardens in that fateful month of May last year.

The worst that could have happened in the Manatt enquiry route, based on our sordid history in these matters, would have been a few bruised egos of the men in suits and maybe it would have driven those who can't send an e-mail to brush up on computing 101.

To have launched an official enquiry into matters surrounding the deaths of over 70 people in Tivoli Gardens and that of chartered accountant Keith Clarke on May 27 at 18 Kirkland Close, Red Hills would also have resulted in the total exoneration of all members of the security forces. We know this because it is par for the course in Jamaica where justice is usually bought and sold behind closed doors.

Tivoli Gardens residents stage a peaceful street protest in support of Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke last year May, days before the security forces went into the community to arrest the former don who was wanted by the United States. The effort to apprehend Coke resulted in a gunfight between the security forces and a militia loyal to Coke in which just over 70 people were shot dead.

Doors above and slightly below Liguanea.

My friend Lloyd D'Aguilar, who was a few months ago fired from Newstalk 93 because on his programme — Looking Back, Looking Forward — he dared to interview Ragashanti, who had also just been dislodged from Nationwide, has been exhorting me who he calls, 'a progressive writer' to visit Tivoli Gardens and speak to the people there.

"Once you do that, Mark, you will get a better understanding of what really took place," he said. I have tried to explain to my friend the dilemma facing me.

First, the incursion into Tivoli Gardens by the security forces in May last year, which resulted in the deaths of at least 73 people would have required, in any self-respecting country, an official enquiry, even if all the persons killed were armed gunmen. The storming of Keith Clarke's house, miles away from the massacre in Tivoli on some pretext that it was the home of Justin O'Gilvie (Dudus' former business partner in Incomparable Enterprises) and his tragic shooting death by soldiers during which time his wife was shouting and telling them who she was -- a doctor of education, a justice of the peace — would, by itself, require an enquiry.

The fact is, in a country where human life has so little value and we are so far removed from being a civil society, at times, the choices available to us are not necessarily the ones we would lay out, if we had the power to do so.

I now find that nationally, murders have trended down more than significantly (in excess of 40 per cent) over last year and I am in no doubt that it was the ferocity of that Tivoli incursion which brought shock value to gangs throughout Jamaica that has caused the drop in the shooting deaths.

Am I then accepting that the deaths of the people in Tivoli Gardens and Keith Clarke, who was my drinking buddy, was the price paid for the success in the falling off of the murder rate? I can't do that, but what are the options available to me? Can I point to one factor outside of the Tivoli operation as being responsible for the drop in murders? Better policing? I have seen no open evidence of this although there does seem to be more policemen on the roads doing spot checks.

Although I know that Commissioner Ellington has been strident in his approach to dealing with organised criminality and gangland violence, I am not yet prepared to accept that his operational standards suddenly got better between May of last year and the present time.
    My dilemma increases as I bring my focus to bear on Tivoli Gardens, long an enclave which operated by its own rules. When my friend Lloyd presses me to visit Tivoli Gardens I am forced to tell him that by my last experience with residents of that community, I have absolutely no intention of going there again.

The last time I tried to support that community I was assaulted by some residents, male and female. That was in 2005.

Why I can no longer support Tivoli Gardens

When I just started writing for the Observer in 1996, I was more than a bit of a romantic in supporting everything that residents of inner-city areas told me. In doing so, because those residents knew where my heart was, many of them relied on me to sell their sides of the story.

Having first visited Tivoli Gardens in 1976, long before I even thought of writing, it was something of a dare to visit and even associate with anyone who lived there.

In 1996, after I heard a report on radio that the police had shot dead some men on Albert Street in Denham Town, I visited the community after all roads were blocked.

I entered the community by driving on the sidewalk adjacent to May Pen Cemetery. In some perverse way it probably helped then that no one knew who I was, as at one stage when I could go no further on the 'banking' and had to drive on the road towards a roadblock, some fierce-looking young men approached the car and asked, 'A who yu?'
    I simply told them that I wrote for the Observer and wanted to get to the truth of what took place. I was told that TV crews had been shot at.

In fact, the radio report had said that the police had encountered gunmen, they had fired on the police, the police had returned the fire, the men were shot and wounded and after being taken to the hospital, they were pronounced dead.

I had gone there because I smelled a rat. All four shot and wounded? All four eventually pronounced dead at the hospital?

My investigations indicated that the men were, at the very least, shot dead. There were drag marks on the pavement — in blood. Would the police drag a wounded man on the pavement? I was, of course, somewhat naïve to those things at the time, but by my reckoning, those four boys were executed.

Long after I had determined that the young men were indeed gunmen, but as one resident has told me, "Dem neva did have any gun dat day."

I had then spoken on The Breakfast Club and it had created quite a stir. Enough of that story though, but I should add that in the eyes of residents of Tivoli Gardens, some of whom had shot up the Denham Town Police Station (I honestly believed that was then a lie. I know better now) and those of its sister community, Denham Town, I was a hero.

In 1997, after the police had shot up the casket with the body of a Tivoli gunman named Baugh, 'war' again broke out for about four days. Tivoli gunmen and the police traded shots and four people in Tivoli Gardens and Denham Town were killed. One of the dead was a six-year-old boy who was shot while jumping up and down on his bed. At that time I examined the light-metal louvre pane where the bullet had entered and attempted to draw some parallel with the spot where the security forces were firing from. I concluded that the shot had come from the Tivoli Gardens High School.

What I did not ask myself then was this. Was there a gunman firing from the little room where the boy was?

When I wrote about that, I was seen as a hero to residents of Tivoli Gardens.
    In 2001, when 'war' again broke out, I was in Tivoli Gardens for about six hours. In fact, I could not leave because of the intense exchange of gunfire between gunmen in Tivoli and members of the security forces who had surrounded the community.

When I reported on that tragic incident I was seen as a hero to residents of Tivoli Gardens.
    But something happened in me after that. I began to listen to the voices of those who were saying, 'Mark, why are you supporting these people, that community?'

Prior to that I had seen Tivoli as a sort of JLP Israel surrounded by hostile PNP Arab states. Ironically, its member of parliament at the time was Eddie Seaga, a Jamaican of Lebanese extraction. Why, I said to myself, in plain language, would this white Jamaican Seaga be supporting a community of poor black people if there was not something just and right about it? What did he have to gain from it when it appeared to me that he had everything to lose from doing so?

In my mind, because Seaga was so vilified across Jamaica, maybe he needed someone like me who had a natural tendency to support 'underdogs' to support his cause.
    As I dug more, my views began to change but I was faced with the embarrassment of debunking all that I had written on strongly before. As I listened and observed more I came close to a 180 degree turnaround.

What of Tivoli's new leader, Bruce Golding

In 2005, I was a guest on Cliff Hughes' TV programme and in my input I had harshly criticised the new leader of the JLP, Bruce Golding.

I cannot remember what the specific issue was, but I do remember that Golding was in the TV studios to be interviewed for the second part and, having heard what I and others had said, he was not his usual self when we greeted each other before I left the studios. To be fair, he was quite cold.

A week or so later, the police shot and killed a Tivoli gunman called 'Zion Train'. Sections of the Western Kingston community went mad!

Unsure about where I was in relation to Tivoli Gardens, I phoned a friend who had close personal contact with the community and asked if it would be OK for me to visit. He said, no problem. He was on the way there and I should meet him at the Denham Town Police Station.

I drove there and parked my car directly in front of the station but on the other side of the road. As I exited I saw that there was a demonstration at Albert Street. Residents had gathered there to protest the killing of the notorious gunman. They had placards and were in a restive mood. On the steps of the police station were policemen in full battle gear.

Before I could even cross the road, a few women in the crowd saw me and beckoned to me to come across. I took it that they were welcoming of me. As I came upon the protesting residents, the first sign that something was amiss was when one woman said to me, "Missa Wignall, a whey di b.... c.... yu a do yah?"

As I walked into the heart of the crowd and asked them in general, "Tell me exactly what happened?" one young man said to me, "Yu tink sey mi neva si yu pan TV a dis di leada. Hey bway, yu fi get a gun shot inna yu marrow!"

As the crowd pressed upon me, some of the people began to slap me in the head with the placards. As I turned, others used the wooden handles to 'jook' me in the side. It had to have been about 40 to 50 people.

As scared as I was getting I believed that by appealing to them, they would see reason. "Imagine I was here for onnu in 96, in 97, in 2001. So how come onnu a gwan so now!," I said. They pressed upon me even more as a few women, older ones, begged them to leave me alone.

It was then that two policemen with rifles came off the steps of the station and said to me, "Mr Wignall, this is getting out of hand. Come inside the station."

And my friend Lloyd D'Aguilar wants me to support them?

Tivoli residents are programmed

In 1996 when I was on the ground in Tivoli Gardens, the air was thick with fear. The soldiers were walking around crouched as if they expected gunfire to erupt at any minute.
    No men were seen on the streets in any significant number but those that I did see were roughed up by the soldiers. Close to the community centre I did a little experiment with some of the women who had turned out in fair numbers.

I told them that I would be asking them questions in private and as I asked them, I did not want those who I had previously asked questions to mingle with the original group. They agreed.

As I called each one and asked, "Are there any guns in Tivoli?" each answered with a straight, believable face, "No sir, there are no guns here."

Certainly I was the fool that day.

On the day after that I was in Rema because 'war' was on between that community and Denham Town/Tivoli. To a crowd of desperado-like young men in Rema I asked the question, "Are there any guns in Rema?"

One young fellow with an evil-looking scar on his face said, "A wha type a eediat question dat. Nuff gun dey yah so!"

So, my friend Lloyd, while I believe that there had to have been excesses by the security forces in May last year, as too much hate for Tivoli Gardens had been stored up for too long, I honestly do not believe that your selective truth is listening to everything that the residents have told you.

If innocent people were shot dead by the security forces, as I believe is par for the course among them, the truth will not come by way of the soldiers and policemen, neither will it come from the residents.

So, how is the truth to be arrived at and where is the political will to sift and to determine who shot whom, who had guns firing at whom?

If a Commission of Enquiry is eventually held into the Tivoli killings, the script will read like this: The residents will say there were no gunmen firing and the security forces will say all who were killed were gunmen or supporting them. And what then?

The Jamaican society is a sick one, close to terminally ill. In large measure, in the specific instance, the residents of Tivoli Gardens have scripted their own condition by supporting wholesale criminality for too long.

Their political leaders gave them the template of 'independent criminality' many years ago, but power is vested in the hands of those who perpetrated the most foul of misdeeds. Those political leaders are the ones to go after.

Who dares to do that? Who dares to ask Eddie Seaga to explain Tivoli Gardens? Who dares to ask Bruce Golding to explain his politics, his NDM flit across the floor and his return to the very thing which he had, more than any other, condemned?

Power is secretive, difficult to hold on to, sinister and dangerous in an outsider's attempt to reduce it. It tends to draw blood and take away the breath of life.

observemark@gmail.com

Last edited by Karl; June 19, 2011, 11:24 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Of diplomacy and truth-telling

Howard Gregory
    Sunday, June 19, 2011

SEVERAL years ago while I was on a sabbatical in San José, Costa Rica, I was invited to be the preacher at the Remembrance Day Service being held in the Anglican Church of the Good Shepherd in that city. In addition to the regular members of the congregation, the service was attended by a number of dignitaries from national life and from the diplomatic corps.

In that sermon I sought to do a number of things. I first pointed to the way in which on occasions of this nature when we honour our dead soldiers, we find it necessary to justify the atrocities committed in war and the loss of these young lives by giving sanctity to wars and invoking the name of God in this process.

The commissioners who presided over the commission of enquiry into the events leading to the extradition of Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke and the hiring of the US law firm Manatt, Phelps and Phillips. From left: Anthony Irons; Emil George, chairman; and Donald Scharshmidt.

1/1

I sought to point out also that, up to the time of the two major World Wars, wars were fought by soldiers of opposing forces confronting each other, but that wars have now taken on a new twist across the world, and the primary victims are ordinary citizens, inclusive of significant percentages of women and children, and which we have come to designate in contemporary battles as "collateral damage".
    I also took note of the proliferation of landmines which were being manufactured by so-called "developed nations", and which were being planted indiscriminately in those territories in which the battle is being fought. As a consequence, ordinary civilians in the conduct of their daily activities have their limbs blown off or their lives extinguished. This would include children at play and farmers going about their round of duty.
    Although at the time there was international consensus on the harmful effects of these devices on innocent civilians, a few countries, including "developed ones", refused to stop the production of these weapons, perhaps because wars of this nature would not be fought on their territory and their citizens would not be so maimed or killed.
    At the end of the service a member of the diplomatic corps from one of the nations of the North came to me and said, "I can see that you are a real diplomat". The message was clear, I had made the points on which I wanted the congregation to focus, but without creating an unnecessary ruffling of feathers which would simply alienate those whom I wanted to reach with a message.
    I am fully aware that there are those who see this position as a cop out because, for them, the truth must just be blurted out if warranted. Perhaps I take my cue from one of the greatest transformers of human life and proclaimer of the truth — Jesus Christ — who used the symbolic language of parables to effectively disturb, engage, and challenge the worldview of His hearers when appropriate.
    While it would be presumptuous of me to attribute to the three commissioners of the Dudus/Manatt Commission of Enquiry any particular moral, religious, or philosophical motivation, it is clear to me that whatever findings they had to share in their report would have to be tempered in a language that would at least be diplomatic in nature.
    From the outset there was a situation of national ambivalence toward this commission. While there were many who were calling for such a commission, there were significant numbers who, recalling the experience of commissions of enquiry in the past, felt that this exercise would not come up with anything of consequence, and would not be worth the time and the financial outlay.
    Not to be forgotten are the loyalists of both political parties, one hoping for exoneration of its leader and party, and the other hoping that findings will emerge which will not only discredit but scandalise the leadership of the other party. Having been appointed by the prime minister, who would have a vested interest in the findings of the commission, there were questions of credibility of the commissioners, notwithstanding their professional career histories.
    As the hearings of the commission progressed and took on the form of a television drama to which some persons were fixed, whether at work or at home, it became clear that the fractious nature of the society surrounding the work of this commission was being heightened.
    The attorneys led the charge, the media reported every move, and the viewing audience took their positions on the credibility of witnesses, based again in large part on party loyalties. Every opportunity was used in the hearing, in the media, and on the talk shows to challenge the authority and integrity of the commissioners in their handling of the process.
    Under the circumstance, it is clear that there is no report that could come from the commissioners which would find ready acceptance by the overwhelming majority of the population.
    The threats coming from representative figures in the PNP concerning the staging of protest demonstrations if the findings were not in keeping with the general thinking of the public, prior to and since the release of the report, will be nothing more than mere posturing. It certainly could not have intimidated the commissioners into drafting a report which would be consistent with the expressed wishes and bias of the PNP, neither is the debate on the report which has been sought for Parliament likely to change one iota of the report.
    It is also in this light that the intimation by Senator KD Knight that preparations will start for demonstrations against the report of the commissioners must be seen. It hardly represents more than political posturing at this time.
    So now we have a report that has not offered any hard-nosed or earth-shaking revelation concerning its findings and recommendations. Why should anyone be shocked or surprised? Not only did the naysayers inform us that nothing meaningful would come from the exercise, but it was clear that whatever would come out would be something that touched on some issues but caused no offence in the process.
    Beginning with a definition of "misconduct", which would have necessitated the indictment and/or discrediting of individuals, the commissioners saw "misconduct" as constituting what is unacceptable, deliberate, dishonest and mischievous conduct on the part of the individuals who were involved in Christopher 'Dudus' Coke's extradition.
    They then dismissed the behaviour of any and all of those operative in the extradition affair as constituting misconduct. So, naturally, what follows is a language which is more of the symbolic, philosophical, and iconoclastic, and on which persons may form opinions, but not requiring or indicating any positive course of action in relation to the actors in that saga.
    What then are the findings of the commission? In short, "mistakes and errors of judgement were made", "the prime minister's involvement with Coke's extradition was inappropriate", and "it seems to us that although late in signing the authority to proceed, the minister acted reasonably in signing it when she did".
    Having been exposed to the diplomatic language as revealed by WikiLeaks in recent weeks, most of us are seeing a different understanding and use of the language of diplomacy from that of the traditional use of the symbolic, non-interfering, and non-confrontational.
    Fortunately or unfortunately the commissioners are clearly of the old school and have chosen to opt for the traditional language and interpretation of the language of diplomacy so that they can be all things to all people and not cause any offence or rock any boat. Those receiving the report can form their own opinion and come to their own conclusions. I think that there is unlikely to be any change in the opinion of members of the public from the time the hearings began and now that the report has been released.
    Given all of this language of diplomacy, one is still left to ask, where does all of this leave the people of Tivoli Gardens who were caught up in the middle of the conflict, trauma, and the loss of life which resulted from the mishandling of this situation, and what of the family of Keith Clarke whose brutal murder has been linked to the same extradition affair and for whom no answer regarding the circumstance of his death has been forthcoming?
    How does this report help the nation to come to terms with the events that transpired in Western Kingston in the wake of the extradition request, and the damage that the handling of this whole affair has caused to the international reputation of our nation with regard to the handling of corruption?
    The next time we are inclined to call for a commission of enquiry, let us first ask ourselves whether we need another exercise which results in diplomatic statements, leaving us all to form our own opinions and no wiser than we were before, but with a hefty price tag, and offering little that is concrete and the basis for collective understanding and corrective action.
    Howard Gregory is the Suffragan Bishop of Montego Bay

POST A COMMENT

You must first register and then login to be able to post a comment.

HOUSE RULES

1. We welcome reader comments on the top stories of the day. Some comments may be republished on the website or in the newspaper – email addresses will not be published.
    2. Please understand that comments are moderated and it is not always possible to publish all that have been submitted. We will, however, try to publish comments that are representative of all received.
    3. We ask that comments are civil and free of libellous or hateful material. Also please stick to the topic under discussion.
    4. Please do not write in block capitals since this makes your comment hard to read.
    5. Please don't use the comments to advertise. However, our advertising department can be more than accommodating if emailed:advertising@jamaicaobserver.com.
    6. If readers wish to report offensive comments, suggest a correction or share a story then please email: community@jamaicaobserver.com.
    7. Lastly, read our Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy, and before commenting you need to register, conveniently, by clicking the link above.

Comment (required):

You have characters left.
    For information about privacy please read our Privacy Policy.

I have read and accepted the Terms and Conditions

COMMENTS (0)

OTHER STORIES

Of diplomacy and truth-telling

Caricom's politics of expediency

Expected little, got less

A Tivoli enquiry would also be a waste of time

Caricom blues

'Time out' on the promises of European Union Partnership

A legacy lost

Strengthening the Jamaican Diaspora

Turkey sets a striking example for its neighbours
    1 comments

'Let them be like Che'

Smoking: the right to choose
    6 comments

The elephant that squeaked
    3 comments

Potholes, Christians and voters

Jamaica media, President Jagdeo, Caricom and its SG

Aren't you sadly proud now, JLP?
    27 comments

VIEW MORE VIDEOS

Today's Cartoon

Poll

How likely are you seek coverage for your uninsured property in light of the forecast for a very active 2011 hurricane season?
    Very LikelyI'm torn between doing it or notUnlikely
    View Results
    Results published weekly in Sunday Finance

Username:Password:

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...#ixzz1PidsjfNr

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I would encourage all so called human rights org. In jamaica to put forth constitutional recommendations and call for legislation to prevent our head of state from putting party,individual or constituents above the interest of the nation.

I would encourage them to do same as it pertains to the office of AG.

If anything this fiasco showed its whom the constitution serves and whom it does not.The insult or salt in the wound is the commissoners call for more powers to discipline participants who object to a kangaroo proceeding.Nations that remain quiet and tacitly or openly approve of said proceedings ,end up like Iraqi,Libya,Iran and Syria

THAT IS A HUMAN RIGHTS ISSUE
      Last edited by Sir X; June 19, 2011, 08:40 AM.

Comment

The Day Walker's great Nation Building legacy... Tivoli Gardens
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Certain Tivoli characteristics (the negative ones) are as a result of the PNP legacy.. ask Bev Manley

Comment

There are no guns, tunnels or crocodiles in Tivoli Gardens. Membah dat. I wonder if the boys in green can use that as a slogan for 2012. They use to use it before. Well, to be fair who knew about the crocs.

Comment

You boyz need to upgrade di rhetoric.. Drivah change di game pon unnuh..

Hush... try and find a next boogieman quick quick before next election !

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                There are no guns, tunnels or crocodiles in Tivoli Gardens. Membah dat. I wonder if the boys in green can use that as a slogan for 2012. They use to use it before. Well, to be fair who knew about the crocs.
                Welcome to the New Tivoli Gardens... Rebuilt by Labour

Only Showas of Blessings welcome...an the only Crocs are on resident's feet
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                X