• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Sickko, Ringo nuh easy at all.

Police on high alert after Kingston abduction

BY KIMMO MATTHEWS Observer staff reporter matthewsk@jamaicaobserver.com
    Friday, June 17, 2011

POLICE across the island have been placed on high alert following the abduction on Wednesday of a Kingston businessman and information that criminals are turning to abductions for ransom in an effort to finance their illegal activities.
    The police believe that criminals have shifted their focus in light of the clampdown by the Jamaica Constabulary Force on extortion, the cash-for-gold trade as well as the drug trade, which has disrupted the flow of money into the coffers of the criminal underworld.
    "The truth is, if you suppress murders and robberies you are going to have other crimes and that is what is happening," Assistant Commissioner Elan Powell, who heads the Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB), told the Observer yesterday. "We wouldn't say it is a trend yet but it could become if not managed properly going forward."
    Powell was speaking hours after police rescued the abducted businessman, who was being held in a Passagefort, Portmore, St Catherine home, and detaining 11 people, including two women, during the process. The detainees are believed to be part of a criminal network linked to a series of robberies and kidnapping between Portmore and Kingston.
    The gang is believed to target motorists in high-end vehicles.
    Wednesday afternoon's abduction of the businessman — who is a member of the Young Entrepreneurs Association (YEA) — occurred in the upper St Andrew community of Norbrook, sending a wave of anxiety throughout the business community.
    A ransom of several million dollars was made for the businessman's safe return but several hours later, about 1:15 am on Thursday, according to the Constabulary Communication Network, the victim was rescued in a joint police/military operation and the abductors rounded up. The businessman was unharmed. A 9mm Beretta pistol and 13 9mm cartridges were seized.
    Hours after the successful operation, the victim's family issued a release, heaping praises on the Organised Crime Investigation Division, the National Intelligence Bureau, the St Andrew North Police Division, the CIB and the military.
    "The Frankson family wishes to go on the record in thanking the security forces of Jamaica for their professional and caring response to the recovery of a kidnapped family member," said the family.
    The Young Entrepreneurs Association, too, praised the work of the police in securing the freedom of the abducted man.
    "We are happy that our colleague was reunited with his family following the events that left members of the YEA in shock," association president Samuel Coates told the Observer, while urging members of the business community to be vigilant.
    While the police declined to identify the community in Portmore where the businessman was being held, residents of Passagefort yesterday told the Observer of sustained gunfire between lawmen and gunmen. They also described what appeared to be a high-speed motor vehicle chase through their community.
    "You could hear the driving up and down as police chased the men in the streets of the community," said a woman. A man, who also asked not to be named, reported that six people were held by the police in a car.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1PZ1ilpsX
    "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Big man and big man....glad for him though, he worked hard to get where he is now
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

I happen to know the victim's family quite well. Happy it sort out!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Big up the security forces. Keep up the good work.

Comment

The ACP was my classmate at the famed School on the Hill.

Comment

Munro???

Comment

Willi, I had no idea you were a purposeful trouble maker. it is the famed Cornwall College and you knew that. CC always have running water and light.

Comment

School by the sea, nuh suh?

Comment

Working...
                X