RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very Interesting Music Comments, Gentlemen!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They had a guitarist on the skatalittes that did the remake of Police Woman on the Skava voovee album and Don Drummonds Confuscious on the skatallatiies Balls of fire album , dont know if its the same guy but he went solo to the moon .

Latin bands have tried to copy it but cant come close .

E.G Dancing mood Confuscious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1XYT...eature=related

Police woman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3sNKuHcQvw

Check out these latin kids in a ballroom....Damm good.. gallo negro ska-police woman.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JpZ06b30ME

The BBC Bob marley thingy ...It was Peter Tosh on Concrete Jungle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDMxLbMcjxY

Can you truly say Jazz would have kids dancing like that in 2011 all over the latin world ? well world ?....Talk about popularity , if its not bringing the youths to dance in droves then Jazz has a serious problem
    Last edited by Sir X; June 17, 2011, 10:16 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Lyn tait cut a complimation album in 05 which really showed his class.

Lyn Taitt - Hold Me Tight: Anthology 1965-1973 [Audio CD] by Lyn Taitt

Overview - Online stores - Nearby stores - Tracks - Related albums
      $10 online
      All Music Guide rating

By Lyn Taitt - Trojan (2005) - Rocksteady
      If guitarist Lyn Taitt didn't single-handedly invent rocksteady, his slowed-down, innovative instrumental arrangements certainly helped define it. A native Trinidadian, Taitt moved to Jamaica in 1962, where he began working in various ska bands, including the Sheiks and the Cavaliers. He formed the Comets in 1964, but his most famous band, the Jets, came together in 1966. The Jets (which at their peak featured a lineup of Taitt and Hux Brown on guitars, Bryan Atkinson on bass, and Gladstone "Gladdy" Anderson on piano) recorded what is arguably the first rocksteady track, "Hold Them," for producer Joe Gibbs in 1967 when Taitt slowed the ska pace of the song down and placed the emphasis on the bass line rather than the horns. Taitt & the Jets recorded for all the major Jamaican producers of the day, including Gibbs, Duke Reid, Sonia Pottinger, Leslie Kong, Derrick Morgan, Ken Lack, Bunny Lee, and Lee "Scratch" Perry, and an in-depth anthology like this two-disc set has been long overdue. The first disc assembles instrumentals drawn from Taitt & the Jets' two Federal LPs, Sounds Rock Steady and Rock Steady Greatest Hits, and includes classics like "Soloman," "The Brush," the slow-burning and funky "Intensified '68," and the beautiful "Rainbow Valley," which features Gladdy Anderson. The second disc spotlights vocal tracks where Taitt & the Jets served as the session band, including Hopeton Lewis' laconic "Cool Collie," the Jamaicans' "Cool Night," the Overtakers' smooth and vocally polished "Girl You Ruff," the Melodians' "Swing and Dine," the Kilowatts' bouncy and eccentric version of Sam Cooke's "Bring It on Home," and Texan Johnny Nash's infectious "Hold Me Tight," which was a Top Ten hit in the U.K. in 1968. Vastly respected in Jamaica, Taitt is barely known elsewhere, a situation this substantial anthology should help address. ~ Steve Leggett, Rovi « less

Check it out.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Definitely Not Chuck Berry!!

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
        Chuck berry - This man defines Rock, all those Rock guitarist imitae him all the way to the bathroom - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvw6o...eature=related
        TDowl, there are guitarists playing in Jamaica right now who could make Chuck Berry look like an elementary kid on the guitar!! What I’m saying here is that there is just no way under the sun that we can seriously regard Churck Berry as a “great” guitar soloist in any way, shape or form!

Ignore the flattering comments on the YouTube video you posted!! (I just watched the video a few minutes ago.)

Chuck Berry, like other blues players (Muddy Waters, Albert Collins, etc.), played basic chords and blues phrases. He was a blues who played riffs and influenced recording artists in his time, plus he had an immensely charismatic presence on stage. Nothing more, nothing less, in my opinion.

Comment

Not Lyn Tait in This Sense!

Originally posted by X View Post
          Lyn tait cut a complimation album in 05 which really showed his class.

Check it out.
          X, I know that album, plus, there are tracks from it on YouTube.

Please understand that I’m not knocking Lyn Tait’s abilities as a guitarist or his immense contribution to the development of Jamaican music. The man contributed in significant ways to the development of rock steady and also reggae.

Why I have not included him in the list of “greatest” Jamaican guitar soloists is because I honestly have no idea how good a soloist he really is! He is a good rhythm guitarist, and that much is obvious, and he can play melodies and tunes on a guitar. However, if I’m going to judge “great” solos by what I have heard Jamaican guitarists like Lennox Gordon, Leroy “Gibby” Morrison, Ernest Ranglin, etc. do, then I have no idea how I could include Lyn Tait because I have never heard a record on which he played a blazing solo break in a song. In my post yesterday I compared Lyn Tait’s style with that of another Jamaican studio great, Hux Brown.

A “great solo break,” to me, is something like what Donald Kinsey played on the live version of Peter Tosh’s “Rastafari Is”! That is really, really good soloing.

Comment

Well its your list.

Comment

I also like Eric Johnson solo piece on Minstrel Gigolo from the Chris Cross 1979 album Sailing.
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Hendrix actually played with them on stage but they say he wasn't a discipline enough player for them. He was in his early twenties and used his real name. I guess he would go off in his solo and do his thing.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Great Player!

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                  I also like Eric Johnson solo piece on Minstrel Gigolo from the Chris Cross 1979 album Sailing.
                  Excellent solo! I know Eric Johnson very well from other projects. He is a genuinely outstanding jazz and rock guitarist, and is right up there with those guys I regard as the “greatest” guitarists around today!

Tilla, believe it or not, I never heard this particular Christopher Cross song before you mentioned it in your post and I listened to it on YouTube (just now). The person who uploaded this selection placed both “Sailing” and “Minstrel Gigolo” in a single upload:
                  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riIgYjS77E4 )

The guitar solo is very beautiful, but Eric Johnson is such a genuinely good guitarist that he succeeded in playing an interesting solo over this particular rhythm (listen to the syncopated pattern that the rhythm section was playing at one point beneath the guitar solo).

Comment

They did a three track combo with this upload. The first track in the combo is titled "The Light Is On" and the solo guitar piece on it is by Larry Carlton. I was forgetting that one as a good guitar solo piece too. You know Larry to be quite an accomplished guitarist in his own right.

Then they played "Sailing" which is the title track. I just love that acoustic piano and it eases itself into the music.

Minstrel Gigolo was the last track. I have loved it from back in the early 80s when I first heard it.
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                    X