• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aren't you sadly proud now, JLP?

Aren't you sadly proud now, JLP?

MARK WIGNALL

Thursday, June 16, 2011

As for me, I sought nothing more than what the man and woman at street level knew was just and palpably obvious.

I needed no long file of huddled humanity, broken and accepting of their fate, or kings and princes lined against a wall and shot down as the crowd raised a loud cry in support of the bloodlust. I simply wanted justice.

Manatt Commissioners (L to R) Anthony Irons, Émil George and Donald Scharschmidt

J
    ustice to me was that talk with Miss Ida and Mass Jus and the yuppie seated at the Pegasus poolside with his Benz never far from his remote, and all sharing a view that although there must be social differences between them, this time around, there was a sign of change.

I needed nothing more than our guts and ability to sift sand from salt pork for us to believe that this JLP administration that came into power in 2007 was, after all, the real deal.

A read into the excessively short (58 pages) Manatt/Extradition Report tells me that until the mechanics of what the common man uses to demand change are changed, we will be always in that state where the status quo becomes empowered to maintain its destructive hold on the vast majority of us.

Having been the first Commission of Enquiry to have been so publicised, televised and transmitted to so many across the social divide, what came out in it was done in real time and hardly subject to the convenient analyses of those of us who, in our formative years, packed in more school hours than others.

Miss Ida with her perennial smile and Mass Jus with ill-fitting dentures saw and heard it just as those using their BBs to communicate beheld the 20 witnesses and the legal minds sometimes clashing in that $78-million grand waste of time.

One of the most glaring findings is this one. Against the background of Manatt, Phelps and Phillips insisting at all times that the firm was in a contract with the Government of Jamaica, the commission has found that it was the JLP which had employed the services of the American law firm to lobby on its behalf. Where is the evidence of this that the commission has brought to the public, apart from simply implying that because the report has said so, that fact gives it credence? Where is it, considering that Émil George, chairman, was, in the moments when he was forced to comment on matters having to do with direct contact with MPP, seemingly not too taken up with pursuing that route?

Remember now, that was what the prime minister was taken to task for when he was questioned by Dr Peter Phillips of the PNP and denied most stridently that any such engagement had been made. That was what he later apologised for, or something of the sort.

Christopher "Dudus" Coke was a man of means and the JLP and the government were always in awe of him, of the powers of the JLP-controlled Tivoli and its arsenal, and the powers that the whole meant to the JLP. He was truly the "President". When the Americans requested his extradition, it was always obvious that he was never a man who was once arrested on the streets of New York for shoplifting. The allegations of drug and gun running across international borders made him big time.

Last year, the government, including especially the prime minister, led the entire nation in a song-and-dance routine about his rights, when every one of us knew that if Dudus had been just another Jamaican, no voices would have been raised on his behalf.

So in all of that, the report has confirmed, in its pages, that his constitutional rights were denied. Was it not also close to acceptance during the enquiry that there was evidence given on one of the supporting affidavits that the attorney general, Dorothy Lightbourne, had had other evidence to sign the extradition request apart from the controversial interception of telephonic communication? Did we not see that line of questioning shot down during the enquiry? And now, in the report, the worst that is said about the role of the attorney general is that she could have acted sooner and probably had memory lapses!

Memory lapses tend to put the small man in prison more times than we are prepared to admit, especially as the legalities swirl over his head in a courtroom.

Amazingly, of the four main recommendations that the report has made, are two that speak to giving future commissions more power. Not only were those leads to the future not a specific part of the initial terms of reference, but it seems to me that those have been made for the simple reason that the chairmanship of the Commission was utterly weak. Yeah, it's payback time! In words!

Then two of the most credible witnesses - Peter Phillips, PNP security minister in 2004 when the MOUs were signed, and former police commissioner, Hardley Lewin, are mentioned as overstepping their bounds. Utterly amazing!

Frankly, even for its brevity, the report is not worth the paper ($1.3 million per page) it's written on. I totally agree with the PNP that it is a whitewash and a travesty of what we all saw, heard, and to a lesser extent, knew, but I would not be prepared to march with the party. In its day it was no damn better.

I am reminded of the lazy but witty schoolboy given the essay to write, "The Cricket Match". Next day he presents it and it is one line, one page. Rain, No Play.
    In this instance, there was indeed a game - a most sinister one - but it does seem as if the score was long determined before the last ball was bowled.

I am forever left with the memory of Émil George and Donald Scharschmidt, two of the lawyers at the chair of the enquiry huddled as Anthony Irons, public servant par excellence, is left out of the deliberations. Irons seemed then to be an innocent bystander.

To what extent was that taken through to the completion of the report?

As past enquiries have gone down in this country, the ruling administration has got what it has desired - a clean bill of health. We were the fools for believing that what we all saw and heard made us enraged and fearful of the power of government and that from one corner justice could be had.

Now we have more reason to be even more fearful.

observemark@gmail.com

Last edited by Karl; June 16, 2011, 12:55 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

A Travesty Of Justice'

Published: Thursday | June 16, 2011

Pastor Charles Francis, Faith United Church of God International. - Contributed

Anastasia Cunningham, Senior Gleaner Writer

Though several members of the clergy say they have not yet had a chance to read the findings of the 58-page report on the Manatt-Dudus commission of enquiry, others are viewing it as woefully lacking.

The Reverend Karl Johnson, general secretary of the Jamaica Baptist Union, said yesterday he was disturbed by what he had read so far.

"I get the impression that the commissioners are wanting us to believe that the whole series of events was just a comedy of errors," said Johnson.

"This country was almost brought to her knees, 73 people minimum died, and they are wanting us to believe that the whole thing was simply a comedy of error? If that is true, are we not just a nation of simpletons, with people in sensitive positions making all these mistakes? Something is wrong."

Accountability

Johnson said the whole matter of accountability remains unanswered and he is left with the view that the commission of enquiry was a very expensive non-event in a cash-strapped country.

Pastor Charles Francis, of the Faith United Church of God International, felt the report was a "travesty of justice".

"How can the commissioners say that, with how the whole thing was handled and led to the loss of so many lives and a series of unfortunate events, that it was just an 'error', a 'mistake' on the part of those responsible?" asked Francis.

"This is a slap in the face of the Jamaican public, a total disregard for human rights. It just confirms when others say there is no justice inJamaica."

Francis felt more blame should be laid at the feet of those who were responsible.

"People should have been held criminally responsible, some people should have lost their jobs," he declared.

Francis said, in his view, the commissioners have taken a friendly approach in the report, careful not to step on any toes, make any harsh criticism, judgement or recommendation.

"I've always maintained from the beginning that the enquiry was a grand waste of time and money and this measly report just proves it. The commissioners acted ineffectively during the enquiry, so I honestly did not expect their findings to be any different," said the pastor.

anastasia.cunningham@gleanerjm.com
    Last edited by Karl; June 16, 2011, 01:04 PM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I hope something good comes out of this , we cannot continue with this hypocritical constitutional system, where parties believe the constitution serves a political interest and not the peoples interest.

No checks and balances, only gun and political checks !

Comment

People's interest? A wha dat??? A new party?

LoL

Comment

Got your mssg on my droid phone @ work blocking me from replying.....later when i get home

Comment

No problemo.

Next time get an iPhone or BBerry. LoL

Comment

I don't know why this Wignal fellow can't see the obvious 'facts' in the COE report. If certain posters see it then it must be clear as day. Is wha do him?
              This report clears Bruce and the crime syndicate.

Comment

Originally posted by Rudi View Post
                I don't know why this Wignal fellow can't see the obvious 'facts' in the COE report. If certain posters see it then it must be clear as day. Is wha do him?
                This report clears Bruce and the crime syndicate.
                Still searching Rudi? Based on the EVIDENCE presented there is only one conclusion. You, Mark and the rest refuse to see that. The only person who went into an agreement with MPP stated publicly that it was incorrect. Better unuh give it up ... more important issues deh fi deal wid. What unuh fi worry bout is if the OPM breached any laws in acquiring land for JDIP project. Time unuh stop majoring in minor.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Imagine desperate and deluded souls like lazie and ben with guns all u need to do is put your orders on letter heads,syria ,libya and iran needs you ,they dont have peacefull demonstrators but armed thugs.....its on letter heads

Tribalist

Comment

majoring in minor? the death of 73 persons is minor?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      majoring in minor? the death of 73 persons is minor?!
                      Another CoE will address that. Just because this thing nuh pan out the way unuh wanted unuh vex. If unuh did stop the cayliss chatter and follow idiots .... unuh wouldn't end up looking so foolish. GET OVER IT!
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie, I take comfort in knowing that there is not one single independent person, NOT A ONE!, who thought this report was nothing more than a travesty. The commissioners should be ashamed of themselves. Indeed, there should be sanctions applied against this sort of puerile crap.

Yes, it did not pan out the way I wanted it to. But I am not alone. Indeed, I challenge you to name even one independent person who thought this report was based on any sensible analysis or prepared by people who should have sense.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                          Lazie, I take comfort in knowing that there is not one single independent person, NOT A ONE!, who thought this report was nothing more than a travesty. The commissioners should be ashamed of themselves. Indeed, there should be sanctions applied against this sort of puerile crap.

Yes, it did not pan out the way I wanted it to. But I am not alone. Indeed, I challenge you to name even one independent person who thought this report was based on any sensible analysis or prepared by people who should have sense.
                          Who waan complain can continue complain. Supporters of the PNP is far from independent. The Human Rights groups are tying what happened in Tivoli to this, how many times the PM must say when the PD done him work a CoE will be set up?

There was NO EVIDENCE that anything illegal or could be labelled as misconduct. Every witness excepting those from the DPP's office said there was a breach. The AG, SG, DSG, various lawyers who were consulted ALL said there was a breach. During the CoE, the only lawyers who didn't agree was star boy and him pony. As a matter of fact the misconduct came from all the meddling fools. It was proven that Coke's rights were violated something the PM was saying from he started answering the termites in Parliament and what came out was that they were insisting on additional evidence. What was wrong with that?

KD's antics is not evidence and the commissioners made reference to it as well. Making submissions without presenting evidence. Act like unuh have sense.

Comment

So you can't name anyone. I am not surprised.

Thanks for trying though.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

not minor at all, how many lives have been potentially save since the "incursion" last year, i.e. what does the reduction of murders amount to in real terms? any one?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X