Gov’t refuses to bow to UC Rusal’s unreasonable demands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov’t refuses to bow to UC Rusal’s unreasonable demands

The Government has declared that it will not bow to unreasonable demands from Russian aluminium giant UC Rusal regarding the reopening of its Kirkvine plant in Manchester.
    Prime Minister Bruce Golding has confirmed reports carried by RJR News a week ago that all is not well with the negotiations.
    However, he is still optimistic that an agreement will be reached.
    Mr. Golding told Parliament on Tuesday [June 14] that environmental issues such as the disposal of bauxite waste are hampering talks between both sides.
    He says negotiations will still continue to facilitate the resumption of mining at Kirkvine.
    “The discussions are continuing I saw the most recent response from Rusal which I think were submitted on Friday, I got it yesterday and I met with the team this morning and they are to have further discussions with Rusal,”
    “We are trying to work together to secure the re-opening of the plant but the Minister of Finance has done his part in terms of facilitating the reopening but there are some things that cannot be the subject of concession and one such thing is the environment,” Mr. Golding said.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X