Discussion: Great Guitar Solo Breaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussion: Great Guitar Solo Breaks

This thread focuses on guitar instrumental solo breaks within a song. I’m referring here to guitar work that made you go “Wow!” the first time you heard it, just as I did, for example, when I first heard rock guitarist Eddie Van Halen’s blazing solo on Michael Jackson’s “Beat It” back in the early 1980s.

I have deliberately limited my input here. It is my hope that other forumites will share their favorite guitar solos (within the context of a song).

Historian’s Great Jamaican Guitar Solo Breaks
    (Listed alphabetically here according to the guitarist’s surname. This list, of course, is NOT complete.)

(Please note that not all the soloists below are Jamaican. Blues guitarist Al Anderson and rock guitarist Wayne Perkins are both Americans, but they have been included for obvious reasons.)

Al Anderson: guitar solo on Bob Marley’s “Woman No Cry” (Live at the Lyceum in London).
    Rupert Bent, Sr.: guitar solo on Toots and the Maytals’ ska classic, “Never You Change.”
    Wayne Perkins: guitar solo on Bob Marley and the Wailers’ “Catch A Fire” (Island Records).
    Ernie Ranglin: guitar solo on the Wailers’ “It Hurts To Be Alone.”
    Unknown guitarist: solo on live performance of “A Jamaican in New York” by Shinehead. This performance was in Kingston back in either the late 1980s or early 1990s.

Great Non-Jamaican Guitar Solos
    (Listed alphabetically here according to the soloist’s surname)

Dean Parks: guitar solo that closed out Rita Coolidge’s version of “We’re All Alone.”
    Eddie van Halen: guitar solo on Michael Jackson’s “Beat It.”
    Tony Peluso: guitar solo that closed out the Carpenters’ “Please Mr. Postman.”
    Richie Sambora: guitar solo on Bon Jovi’s “Bed of Roses.”
    Unknown studio guitarist: guitar solo on Tifanny’s “Could’ve Been.”

how about the guitar solo on rastafari is (peter tosh captured live) and the guitar solors on babylon the bandit by steel pulse?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Guitar solo on concrete jungle ..BBC studio ?

Soloist on Confuscious by dancing mood from argentinia or was it police woman ?
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Lyn Tait kept it simple but complicated.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

lawd massah .... yuh coulda be a fashionista! *to be said with a lisp* thith thummer blue ith the new yellow! the dretheth will be big yet small, short but long and exciting yet subdued"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Ohh Jamaican ? Suh Tait nuh inna it , im from trinidad and di man dem from argentinia excluded .....Sorry ...I will excuse myself.

Comment

I like the simplicity and non-pretentiousness of the solos in the Temptations songs:

* The way you do the things you do
              * My girl
              * Wish it would rain
              * Too proud to beg
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Did any of you see a Documentary named "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". ?

It is about the Funk Brothers who were in in-studio band during the classic Motown days. Very talented musicians who never really got much recognition.

Historian will be quick to point out that while Motown paid the bills, most of them were Jazz musicians by night. LOL.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

saw it!
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post

Great Non-Jamaican Guitar Solos
                    (Listed alphabetically here according to the soloist’s surname)

Dean Parks: guitar solo that closed out Rita Coolidge’s version of “We’re All Alone.”
                    Eddie van Halen: guitar solo on Michael Jackson’s “Beat It.”
                    Tony Peluso: guitar solo that closed out the Carpenters’ “Please Mr. Postman.”
                    Richie Sambora: guitar solo on Bon Jovi’s “Bed of Roses.”
                    Unknown studio guitarist: guitar solo on Tifanny’s “Could’ve Been.”
                    Add to this for me is Neal Schon of Journey.
                    He did the solo guitar piece on Who Is Crying Now by Journey.
                    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Working...
                    X