Historian’s Picks: Greatest Bass Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian’s Picks: Greatest Bass Players

Bass playing at a high level is by no means simple. At one end of the spectrum we have the genres where bass players generally “lock-in” to a I-II-V groove or, alternatively, a I-IV-V groove, with much emphasis on the root and dominant notes. This is characteristic of much of dance music, including Caribbean genres like reggae, calypso and soca.

At the other end of the spectrum we have the jazz and jazz-fusion bass players who display incredible knowledge and chops, including slapping-and-popping, hammer-on and pull-offs, harmonics, chords, arpeggios, and so on.

Below are
    (a) Historian’s Top 5 Greatest Jamaican Bass Players and
    (b) Historian’s Top 10 Greatest International Bass Players
    (c) Historian’s Top 5 Greatest Standup- Bass Players.

Worldwide, there are more recorded electric bass guitarists than standup bass players, and virtually none in Jamaica. I have therefore created a third list featuring my personal All-Time Top 5 Greatest Standup-Bass Players.

The great bass players below are not listed in terms of preference or greatness, but rather, alphabetically.

Historian’s Top Five Greatest Jamaican Bass Guitarists
    (Listed alphabetically here)

There is absolutely no question in my mind that the men below, who are brilliant in a variety of genres including jazz, funk and reggae, are the greatest Jamaican bass players I have ever heard. Incidentally, accomplished classical guitarist and bassist extraordinaire Mikey Fletcher (Dean Fraser’s 809 Band, Shaggy, etc.) is included here because, although born in England, he grew up in Jamaica from around the age of 11 or 12.

Glen Browne
    Michael “Mickey” Fletcher
    George “Fully” Fullwood
    Rohan Reid

The fifth name might be a young gospel genre bassist, Dwayne Livingstone

Historian’s Top TEN International Bass Guitarists
    (It is impossible for me, at the present time, to limit my list to five!)

Jeff Berlin
    Stanley Clarke
    James Jamerson
    Marcus Miller
    Jaco Pastorious
    John Pattituci
    Victor Wooten

(Note: I’m still trying to decide on the final three. )

Historian’s Top Five All-Time Greatest Standup-Bass Players

Ron Carter
    Dave Holland
    Charles Mingus
    Neils-Henning Orsted Pederson
    Ray Brown or Miroslav Vituous (I cannot decide)

yuh nuh give mark king nuh ratings?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Mark King is Awesome!

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      yuh nuh give mark king nuh ratings?
      Gamma, thanks for your response, boss. You’ve made an excellent suggestion here, although I am not surprised, as I’m aware that you clearly have a very diverse taste in music, much more than the average person that I know. In fact, you were the person who introduced me to Mark King right here on this forum.

In my honest opinion, Mark King has to be among the greatest bass players around! He is amazing, and his slap and popping technique is absolutely superb! I rate him highly, but I’m not sure if he is one of the ten I rate most highly.

Some of the names are easy; for example, the world has seen very few geniuses like the late Jaco Pastorious. Others, for example the really outstanding mark Egan, I am still pondering.

I’ve also been pondering the inclusion of Larry Graham, not because he is necessarily supremely great, but rather, because of his historical importance as the originator of the slap and pop style of playing the electric bass. His story is well known, so I won’t repeat it here. But the style of people like Marcus Miller and Mark King are a definite evolution of Larry Graham’s revolutionary approach.

By the way, Gamma, I make these music posts as a way of providing an alternative to the seemingly endless PNP-JLP political discussions and arguments here.

Comment

What the name of the bass player in Roots Radix (I think thats what its called) band?
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Roots Radix's Bass Player

Originally posted by HL View Post
          What the name of the bass player in Roots Radix (I think thats what its called) band?
          HL, boss , the bass player you’re referring to is probably “Flabba”; his real name was Errol Holt. Bass players like Flabba, Leroy Sibbles and Sagittarius Band’s Derrick Barnett are certainly outstanding reggae bass players. And I do mean really outstanding!

In my listing of Jamaican bass players, though, I went for the high-end, the Jamaican versions of Gamma’s Mark King, so to speak. In other words, the virtuosos of local bass guitar.

Comment

Many thanks Historical one!

I appreciate the added dimension to give to this site.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

thank yuh sah and i take it as such. my tastes seem simple enough to me ... how does the music make me feel....?

i also pay attention to the lyrics.

anyway, i am SURE some people on here could fina a way to insert politics..but .... head straight...eye on the prize!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Historian

Agree with that 100% ....an alternative to the seemingly endless PNP-JLP political discussions and arguments here.

Keep it up.
                THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

"seemingly endless PNP-JLP political discussions and arguments" Oh you make me feel like fish out of water, sikes just kidding, it's refreshing relief.

Comment

Working...
                  X