'Prime Minister Golding's involvement was inappropriate'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Prime Minister Golding's involvement was inappropriate'

The Manatt-Dudus Commission of Inquiry has ruled that Prime Minister Bruce Golding’s involvement in the extradition saga involving West Kingston drug kingpin Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke was ‘inappropriate’.

“(Golding) should have distanced himself completely from the matter. His failure to do this led to the unfortunate suspicion that he was protecting an alleged narcotics dealer and drug smuggler,” the report said.

The report, which was tabled today in Parliament, also said that Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) should not have been involved in the Coke extradition situation, and to the extent it was “there may have been inappropriate commingling”.

“We feel that it was an unfortunate mistake because it fueled suggestions that the move was made to protect Mr. Coke because he was an important man to the JLP," the report said.

The report, which was 58 pages long, gave four general recommendations.
    The recommendations are:

1 The posts of Minister of Justice and Attorney General should be split; the Attorney General need not be a member of either House.

2 The Cabinet should be informed of any amendments or memoranda affecting constitutional rights.

3 Commissioners of inquiry should be given the powers of a Supreme Court Judge for the purpose of being able to cite for contempt.

4 The inquiries Act should provide that commissioners can state a case for the opinion of the Supreme Court in matters of law.

The report was finalised after two months of testimonies from several politicians and civil servants.

The report has not found any one criminally liable for the events surrounding the extradition of Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke.

That saga held Jamaica captive for over nine months, ending in a manhunt for Coke who escaped a security incursion directed at him in West Kingston.

At least 73 persons were killed in the incursion.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Curious to know more. No surprise about not holding anyone criminally responsible..surprised about the two last points making key points...seems like an excuse for not being more specfic and definitive. Very curious on what was said about the Minister of Justice in the full report. She is the one I think either lied throughout or showed incompetence.

Comment

Originally posted by Plush View Post
      Curious to know more. No surprise about not holding anyone criminally responsible..surprised about the two last points making key points...seems like an excuse for not being more specfic and definitive. Very curious on what was said about the Minister of Justice in the full report. She is the one I think either lied throughout or showed incompetence.
      Plush, I know we hold different views on the issue, but seriously, criminal responsible for what?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

73 deaths maybe? just a suggestion... having said that I don't know that such a charge could ever stick as the deaths occurred under a SOE... there could also have been another charge made (there may be a host of others) against certain individuals such as obstruction of justice;is there such a thing in local law, eh Gamma?
        Peter R

Comment

March mi seh! Tell mi where to congregate, Star Bwoy!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
            73 deaths maybe? just a suggestion... having said that I don't know that such a charge could ever stick as the deaths occurred under a SOE... there could also have been another charge made (there may be a host of others) against certain individuals such as obstruction of justice;is there such a thing in local law, eh Gamma?
            ... that would have to wait for the other CoE. Based on the evidence in the just concluded CoE, which criminal act was committed?

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              March mi seh! Tell mi where to congregate, Star Bwoy!
              Wha happen inna March?

Comment

What is the consequence for "inappropriate" behaviour??? some people wouda lose dem wuk... does the PM now come out and make a statement? just curious...
                Peter R

Comment

He already apologized.. last year..

Comment

That's my point Lazie, that's why I wasn't surprised there. However, I listened a report on RJR and they prettty much said everyone was exonerated, except the PM I guess. In my mind something went wrong and no one is held accountable. That's the fundamental thing wrong with Jamica, no one is ever held accountable and punished whether it be suspended, fired, whatever. Accountability..Where is it. all I saw was three old stooge crying for more pover and going with the obvious of saying Bruce shouldn't have stepped in (we know that), and the MOUs that infringe on the rights of Jamaicans should have been brought to Cabinet/Parliament..Ok, I think a dummy could have delivered this whether they JLP or PNP. I guess we all see and heard so we don't need these waste of time 3 stooges to say anything. I say Protest for salaries civil servants...because when the government has money to waste money like this, then why shouldn't workers get paid?

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                      ...and what about misuse of GOJ property (JLP - a Golding seh suh) - Using civil servants and GOJ property to plan and work at JLP work (some would say that work was protecting Dudus...although Lazie will claim it was about something other...but be that as it may Likle Brucie seh a did JLP wuk!)?
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

and that's enough? in light of the conclusion of inappropriateness the least he should do is call elections now and let the people decide if they still want him as PM. Elections due soon anyway...
                        Peter R

Comment

Peter Phillips acted unconstitutionally. He got the biggest slap!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Plush View Post
                            I say Protest for salaries civil servants...because when the government has money to waste money like this, then why shouldn't workers get paid?
                            Nothing went wrong, the commishes say. But 73 people died and billions of dollars went up in smoke from the Tivoli incursion and this enquiry.

Joke ting!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Hey Bruce apologized for his 'inappropriate' behaviour so why can't we move on. The tribalists might not realize it but this was not a good result for the JLP. Inappropriate behaviour is an off colour or sexist joke not by any stretch of any imagination. Tribalists watch the fallout and not just from PNP supporters. No credibility whatsover. I feel it for people like Tufton and yes it must be said Audley Shaw too.They will also be tainted by this crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X