Barbados at it again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barbados at it again.

PRIME Minister Bruce Golding has questioned the timing of a recent detention of a Caribbean Airlines plane in Barbados at a time when pressure is being brought against Jamaica to allow REDjet to fly into the island.
    Golding said he was disturbed by reports he received recently that the Caribbean Airlines plane was "harassed" in Barbados.

GOLDING… that is not the way that any Government will ever be able to get the Government that I lead to respond
    1/1

"What I am told took place two days ago when a Caribbean Airlines plane was held up; don't want to use the word detained, and the suspicion is that it is an aggressive action and I hope it is not, because that is not the way we in Caricom must resolve Caricom issues," Golding said Saturday.

The prime minister, who was addressing a Jamaica Labour Party high-level meeting at the Jamaica Conference Centre in downtown, Kingston, said the Barbados-based REDjet had tried to fly to Jamaica when Air Jamaica was still around, but permission was denied as he was not prepared for the Lovebird planes to "start dropping out of the sky".

He said that with the conclusion of the recent arrangements for Caribbean Airlines to acquire Air Jamaica, pressure is new being brought to bear for REDjet to be allowed to fly into Jamaica.

Golding said that with REDjet now being regarded by the Barbadian Government as its national carrier, there is an insistence that they be allowed to fly into Jamaica pursuant to the Open Skies Agreement as well as the provisions of the Treaty of Chagaramus.

"...That is not the way that any Government will ever be able to get the Government that I lead to respond; I am not unaccustomed to being faced down by a foreign Government but I have a face too and Jamaica's interest must always be harmonised with external partners, but must never be sacrificed," said a tough-talking Golding.

He explained further that he has since communicated to Transport Minister Mike Henry his intention to have dialogue on the matter with both the Trinidad and Tobago and the Barbados prime ministers by today.

"We are not saying approval will not be granted but in the spirit of the collaboration that saw the closure of the deal with Caribbean Airline that decision has to await the appropriate consultation," he explained.

Last week, the Barbados tourism minister Richard Sealy came out in support of the low-cost budget carrier, saying it was important for there to be other players within the aviation industry in the Caribbean.

He said that the Government fully supports REDjet in its efforts to become operational and "we continue to engage at every level to see to it that REDjet becomes a reality".

In April, REDjet announced US$9.99 fares between Barbados and Guyana, Trinidad and Jamaica for flights that were originally scheduled to commence on May 8.

But the airline has been experiencing administrative problems in Trinidad and Tobago and Jamaica and has had to cancel its operations for a period. The airline, which now services the Barbados to Guyana route, has also not been able to fly to the United States.

Meanwhile, Golding reiterated that although Jamaica took a 16 per cent stake in Caribbean Airlines, it was written in the agreement that Government will not be required to put up any further capital or absorb any loss.
    "So if the airline find that it needs to increase capital it has to come from Trinidad," he said.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1PCLSEoV5

Willi,

This time I am in the Bajans corner... the TT govt and by extension the JA govt are involved in protectionism. What we need are more Redjets in the Caribbean, not fewer... if the Guyana and Barbadian authorities can approve the airlines, what are the problems that JA and T&T are seeing? all they are doing is runng Redjet through the redtape wringer... we did fuss when JA patty couden mek guh ah Trinidad... same ting wi doing wid Redjet.
    Peter R

Comment

You have to really wonder what is the purpose of CARICOM when after all these years basic free market issues such as these require so much effort to resolve.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

All in due course. Barbados does not have skin in the game!

RedJet are Irish people nuh? Same think if RyanAir was coming in.

They can drive Carib air out of bizniz and then raise their fare to whatever when THEY have the monopoly and we would be the sucker.

Comment

But Willi, there are many foreign owned companies operating in the West Indies and that's no problem. What makes Redjet so different?

Frankly, they will be filling a niche that CAL is not currently servicing efficiently... Barbados to Guyana, and TT to Jamaica direct. CAL and its subsidiary Air Jamaica are servicing the Caribbean to large metropolitan city routes , Miami , NY, Toronto etc. along with(some) inter-island travel but by far the big business for these airlines is to North America. Redjet will not send them out of business. However, since the spanner has been thrown into their (redjet's) spokes, I hear they won't do the TT to Jamaica route direct...however, the threat of Redjet's entry has seen CAL improve it's offering to the Caribbean public, and we now are seeing a couple direct flights (or is it one?) per week from TT to Kgn.
          Peter R

Comment

The approval will come in due course after due consideration and proper timing. Unno really expect $10 fare fi last? That is price dumping to me and I dont want to swap kettle fi frying pan. Too much tax payers dollaz at stake fi mek di Irish play wi fi fool.

Long run, short ketch!

Comment

Willi, They are following a model that low cost airliners fhave adopted... the low fares will not continue, if they last a year they will last long; Redjet stated that the first 250,000 seats will be sold at the deep discount... by my simple mathematics that would amount to just over 300 days of low fares, if they fly two planes that seat approx 200 persons, one daily round trip each at capacity ... The point though is that this will be a benefit for the travelling Caribbean public... one of the reasons i end up in Florida (and North America) more than anywhere else is simple because of the ease of getting there. If it becomes more affordable and easier to get around these islands I can see more benefits overall than negatives... regardless of the ownership. Just suh mi see it...

The fares will in all likelihood rise but, if they rise too high they will lose their customers. The fares and flying options to JA for example that CAL is now offering in light of the impending competition may be where they end up, but they are certainly more affordable than before (the threat of) Redjet.
              Peter R

Comment

CAL (read Jamaica and Trinidad) is playing the proverbial ass!!!!! They have ripped off the Caribbean public for years with high fares and low service (22 kgs) when you cld fly MIA/NY/Toronto etc with 2 pieces and cheaper than going Ja or even Bdos. I had to argue, draw fi mi BB to get CAL not to charge me US$78 for change of flight returning from B'dos to POS. This after their website said the 5:55pm flight I was to take was leaving 9:45pm!!! This after flying time 16 hrs fr Brazil!!! Wanted to charge me for change to 3:30pm flight since they said my original flight was actually leaving at 5:55pm. I showed them their webpage.....didn't pay!! A man next to me said "thats why we need Redjet".
                The flying public need choice in the Caribbean - just as we get going any other place.

Comment

Working...
                X