X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSA backs Tax Administration JA official in row with Vaz

Termites coming out of the woodwork!

CSA backs Tax Administration JA official in row with Daryl Vaz

The Jamaica Civil Service Association (JCSA) has threatened strong measures in protest against any legal action taken against Gladstone Turner, the head of the Enforcement Team at Tax Administration Jamaica.

Daryl Vaz, the Minister with responsibility for Information, has threatened legal action against Mr. Turner, following an aborted raid on the premises of Auto Traders 2000 Limited, which is owned and operated by Ricky Vaz, the minister’s brother, on Monday, June 6.

The tax administrators had instructed the Enforcement Team to discontinue the collection exercise, based on negotiations with representatives of Auto Traders 2000.

On Wednesday, the information minister boldly declared that there was no Government intervention in the aborted seizure of assets at the auto establishment owned by his brother,

Mr. Vaz insisted that $4 million was paid on the spot, with the understanding that negotiations would continue towards full settlement of the outstanding liabilities.

No money paid on the spot - Turner

However, Mr. Turner, the man at the centre of the operation, declared that Mr. Vaz is not telling the truth.

"I can clarify that monies were not paid on the spot as was indicated on the newscast. There was no money paid on the spot, however it is true that monies were paid. I saw a cheque the next morning when I went to the office for $4 million and another million dollars was paid during the day," Mr. Turner said.

But in a swift response Friday morning, an upset Mr. Vaz told RJR News that he was preparing to defend himself adding that the matter was now in his lawyer's hands.

Never been done

Mr. Turner also disagreed with the explanation given by tax officials for the halting of the exercise on Monday, June 6.

He said it was never the case in previous operations where the senior tax officials would contact him to abort a tax enforcement exercise.

Poorly handled

As a legal showdown looms between Mr. Turner and the information minister, Robert Chung, the First Vice-President of the JCSA, has pledged the association' support for head of the Enforcement Team at Tax Administration Jamaica.

According to Mr. Chung, the issue has been poorly handled.

"This is something that has to be reported to the head of the Tax Administration and if what the officer is saying is not true then it will be dealt with at that because an investigation has to be done to determine whether or not whatever he’s claiming is true," he said.

While not specifying what measures the JCSA is prepared to take, Mr. Chung said this will be decided by the members if the need arises.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

"This is something that has to be reported to the head of the Tax Administration and if what the officer is saying is not true then it will be dealt with at that because an investigation has to be done to determine whether or not whatever he’s claiming is true," he said.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

you notice they didn't post the clarification by Vaz saying the negociate the amount of 4 million and he called his accountant to pay it. The collecter didn't say otherwise. Go back on the RJR website and play what he said. Listen for yourself.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Mi hear enuff. Mi just a sit back and see how it play out.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Unuh cant help youself. Defending the indefensible from how long. I have now accepted that it's just so it go. Keep up the search for the crocodiles and torture chambers in jungle.

Comment

They "back him"? Sound like they sending him to his slaughter if you ask me. They want it reported to the people Turner is licking out against to determine whether he is telling the truth or not?

Comment

did you answer my question yet?

Comment

Vaz did not clarify anything,he retracted.It is silly to argue no political interference in one instance while ignoring it in subsequent instances,do remember political interference is the problem.

Comment

Darn,if they came to your business place,you would probably negotiate with the tax dept via the field agents,Ricky went to the top

Comment

This is getting silly now..

Comment

Originally posted by Muadib View Post
                      This is getting silly now..
                      Silly?Your boss quick fi spit out de figure 4 mill as if fi sey all dat money pay when wi a sey all dat money owed.
                      I have said it before,corporations can't vote,why everyone refuse to disclose how much taxes was owed?
                      Seeing D.Vaz was so quick to spit out the amout paid he should tell how much was owed,so we may have a better chance of understanding his statements.

Comment

Just heard an interview with Chung and CLEARLY ....this dude jumped in without knowing the facts!
                        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

NNN?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                            NNN?
                            .. the only Emmy Award winning station. Check it out.
                            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

i will!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X