X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daryl Vaz clashes with Tax Administration officials

Daryl Vaz clashes with Tax Administration officials

Daryl Vaz.

A legal showdown is looming between Daryl Vaz, Minister with responsibility for Information, and a senior official of Tax Administration Jamaica.

This follows an aborted raid on the premises of businessman Ricky Vaz on Monday [June 6].

The tax administrators had instructed the Enforcement Team to discontinue the collection exercise, based on negotiations with representatives of the firm Auto Traders 2000.

On Wednesday the Information Minister boldly declared that there was no government intervention in the aborted seizure of assets at the auto establishment owned by his brother, Ricky.

Mr. Vaz insisted that $4 million was paid on the spot, with the understanding that negotiations would continue towards full settlement of the outstanding liabilities.

However, the man at the centre of the operation, Enforcement Team Leader Gladstone Turner is maintaining that Mr. Vaz is not telling the truth.

“I can clarify that monies were not paid on the spot as was indicated on the newscast. There was no money paid on the spot, however it is true that monies were paid. I saw a cheque the next morning when I went to the office for $4 million and another million dollars was paid during the day,” Mr. Turner said.

But in a swift response this morning, an upset Information Minister told RJR News he is preparing to defend himself.

Mr. Vaz says the matter is now in his lawyer's hands.

“I was the one who was hesitant in commenting on this matter. I have been brought squarely in play by insinuation and the bottom line is that I have to defend myself. I am expecting now that I have been brought in that I am going to send the transcripts of all of the interviews to my lawyers who can advise me better, I have advised my brother of the same,” he said.

“I want to categorically say once again that what was done in this matter is nothing untoward, it is absolutely straightforward based on the operations manual that has been published by the tax authorities and it has now become a political football and since it has become a political football, let us play,” Mr. Vaz said.

On Thursday [June 9] Tax Administration Jamaica issued a release emphasising that seizure operations can be halted if the delinquent taxpayer makes full restitution on the spot.

Meanwhile, Mr. Turner is disagreeing with the explanation given by tax officials for the halting of the exercise on Monday [June 6].

He says it was never the case in previous operations where the senior tax officials would contact him to abort a tax enforcement exercise.

“With respect to inequity, I think I consider what took place to be not equitable and I say that unequivocally and categorically because to me the action was curtailed prematurely,” Mr. Turner said.

“We have done matters like that in the past and have been allowed to do the negotiations ourselves based on the taxpayers compliance record and the nature of the case and how delinquent the taxpayer is,” he said.

He says the latest tax matter involving Ricky Vaz dates back to 1994 and has passed through three different collection stages which provided an opportunity for him to pay the outstanding arrears.
    Last edited by Karl; June 10, 2011, 03:55 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Don't see the need to take on or even sue Turner .... TA officals have confirmed they called off the operation because of negotiations ... he should now leave it alone for Turner to get himself out of this one.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

well whoever did the deal needs to come forward and explain what happen.

To clear themselves Daryl and Ricky need to publish their telephone calls for that day.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

LOL. Like me say unuh ah di best. You might want revisit some of your posts on this matter. I thought this was just a run of the mill operation and the comrades were trying to hype it up. As a poster use to say "creatures of the night". Unuh good that's all mi can say.

Comment

you can't defend yourself. You are blind. The fact is there is no proof so far that Vaz interfere and you can't defend any gossip, rumour or anything you have.

Are you willing to apologise if Daryl Vaz didn't interfere? Answer that.

Comment

Vaz ask Gladstone if him want to dance... now dat di Termite has been identified.. Game on !

Comment

Unuh good. Please direct me to where I said that Vaz interfered. What we know is that the tax-man was called off when siezing the property of a cabinet minister's brother. The claim being it was standard operating procedure. The actual tax-man on the ground says this has NEVER happenned before(he must be one of those comrades Lazie talks about). You say nothing no wrong. Call me blind one more time but I just don't see you and your crew having the same reaction if the shoe was on the other foot.
              Especially if the person performing the siezure basically confirms that in his opinion there was interferance. Me not going mention as to when money pay etc.

Comment

Gladstone sound vex.. like him did want damage a man...

Let us see if him can dance...

Comment

Ricky Vaz said he called his accountant and they made a deal with the tax administration. Is that also a LIE. Somebody from the tax admin stopped it. Did that person receive the money and stopped it?

Again you have no proof of against Daryl Vaz so your argument is baseless until you have proof.

Are you willing to apologise if Daryl Vaz did nothing wrong?

What is accused is after phone call Daryl Vaz intruct the tax department to stop it. Now can you prove that to be factual?

Comment

Let's get ready to rumble. I wonder if him civil service pension safe.

Comment

I must tell you, Sass, this is the best frying pan impersonation I have ever seen. Jim Carrey would be impressed!

Lazie, you'll get a nomination, but the Oscar is Sass'!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

If me laff tidday...!

Lazie, Sass and Maudib are shameless souls.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

stop, Sass. just stop!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Did you choose to listen to the offical response from the Tax administration?

I just hear it on RJR. Listen it and continue on your stance and see who get award.

Comment

yeah let you spew your so called propoganda. You have not one ounce of proof that Vaz did anything wrong, only that it "look bad".

Comment

Working...
                              X