The effect of POnzi scheme on the economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The effect of POnzi scheme on the economy

• In January 2007, a letter to the editor from a junior government minister described the FSC and Financial Investigation Division’s raid on OLINT as a “Gestapo-like invasion” which was a “vulgar abuse of state power.” It argued that OLINT was a boon to the Jamaican economy, and that rather than expatriating capital, OLINT’s payments to club members were generating foreign exchange reflows of $7 million weekly during November–December 2006.
    • In November 2007, a prominent attorney wrote that the financial community was trying to sabotage Cash Plus’ obvious success.
    • In December 2007, several influential church leaders declared that the country would lose if OLINT and LewFam were forced to close, and that individuals should be free to invest once adequate information is given.

Against this backdrop, there were some public manifestations of support from the government for the FSC. In January 2007, finance minister Omar Davies warned that people who put money in the schemes did so without the protection of the government.

According to a February 2007 FSC press release, the junior minister’s comments described above were condemned by the Cabinet as not expressing the position of the government. Later in 2007, the tax administration indicated that all income, including illegal income from UIS, was taxable. Further support from the government came in January 2008, when the Cabinet endorsed the FSC’s actions against schemes and indicated that the FSC would continue to act against them.

A leading newspaper stated in April 2008 that a review of its coverage of Cash Plus found that eight of 55 stories were promotion pieces, nine of 55 would have failed its current code of ethics, and that it had inaccurately reported several major real estate purchases by Cash Plus which did not actually take place.

Size and impact

It appears that the schemes (Cash Plus and OLINT in particular) grew dramatically after the FSC’s intervention on OLINT and LewFam in late 2006. It seems that the intervention served to advertise the schemes, while there were no immediate follow-up actions charging them or their perpetrators with any crime. Apparently, the court’s decision to prohibit OLINT from accepting new members while not preventing additional investments was followed by a proliferation of new schemes that attracted new investors and channelled their funds into OLINT through the accounts of existing OLINT members. According to the CaPRI study, a November 2007 survey of 400 investors in UIS found that most had invested in the 12 months preceding the survey.

Cash Plus took in investor funds of J$22 billion ($260 million or 2% of GDP) during 2004–07 from 35–45 thousand investors, according to a May 2008 interim report by its receiver. During August 2006–May 2007, two entities associated with David Smith, OLINT TCI and TCI FX Traders, deposited $100 million into its accounts in i-Trade FX LLC.20 For other schemes, there is no reliable information, as they do not provide audited or unaudited financial statements or a list of assets. The January 2008 CaPRI study estimated that Jamaican UIS have taken in investments of 12.5-25% of GDP. The results of the study’s survey of 400 investors suggest that around 50,000 households invested in these schemes, with a typical investment of around J$200,000 to J$300,000 (about $2,800-$4,100). Most of the investors were middle class, which the study argued would limit the potential for social unrest if the schemes collapsed.

http://businessifc.com/articles/Ponz...-Caribbean.htm

• Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Nice article.

Can't seem to find where it's indicated that the Ponzi schemes created any value that would lead to poverty reduction...especially since most of the funds collected seem to have been held outside Jamaica
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

" In January 2007, a letter to the editor from a junior government minister described the FSC and Financial Investigation Division’s raid on OLINT as a “Gestapo-like invasion” which was a “vulgar abuse of state power.” It argued that OLINT was a boon to the Jamaican economy, and that rather than expatriating capital, OLINT’s payments to club members were generating foreign exchange reflows of $7 million weekly during November–December 2006. "

Like both Willi and I are saying it doesn't add real wealth but short term boom. If you see how many household was involved, it must affected GDP.

You don't have to have real wealth but just disposal income to cut poverty.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

So the minister of govt who made that statement was an economist? It is correct because it was published in a newspaper?

Such statements should not be taken as gospel... especially from a politician whose party was receiving funds...and who may have had a personal stake in the scheme and an interest in protecting it

The idea that a Ponzi scheme can "cut poverty" is ludicrous....But you can believe what you like

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

temporarily it will make money jingle, it is not long term and will create a boom which will result in long term problem. Ask these low class investors who tell you "money use to run" .

Comment

what is a "low class investor"?

Money used to run when the world economy was not in recession.... if you believe the Ponzi money was recyled below the poverty line in a substantial way...there's a Flat Bridge coming up for sale soon...yuh cyan buy dat tuh..lol

Comment

is this a part of your thesis?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

if you notice I posted the source.

Comment

Well no wonder you can't explain how poverty decrease with production and wealth. While debt ballon.

I gave about 4 reasons not one.

Comment

Yes, Ennis is an economist and had a firm that did econ analysis for business clients.

Comment

So, you have an explanation?

Comment

Anything that affect 15% of GDP affects poverty or wealth.

Aah ahhh. You catch him with "jigs". Watch him bop and weave now. Jigs was Junior Minister in Finance at one time.

Comment

I am not an expert on Ponzi schemes.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Jiggs is the one who defended Olint!

Comment

Not about Ponzi, explanation for the purported hugh increase in poverty in Jamaica since 2007.

Comment

Working...
                              X