Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The side of the story ppl choose to ignore

Govt denies involvement in halt of exercise to collect outstanding taxes

Daryl Vaz, the Minister of State with responsibility for information, telecommunications and special projects, has denied Government intervention in the aborted seizure of assets by tax authorities from a popular auto accessories establishment owned by his brother.

On Monday, revenue sources revealed that a special enforcement team assigned to Tax Administration Jamaica had gone to Auto Traders 2000 Limited, to collect outstanding taxes.

The team was reportedly instructed via a mobile phone call to halt the operation with immediate effect.

However, Mr. Vaz used the Post Cabinet press briefing on Wednesday to explain what he said were the facts surrounding the operation.

“It has been insinuated that I intervened in a tax matter relating to my brother. Let me make it clear that I did not do so, neither would I ever do so, especially with my luck. The facts are that they went, there was a objection, there has been a protracted negotiation that has not come to an amicable solution and a demand was made and a partial payment was made," Mr. Vaz said.

He added that following a discussion with his brother's accountants, a part payment was made possible.

According to Mr. Vaz, $4 million was paid on the spot with the understanding that negotiations would continue in an effort towards full settlement of the outstanding liabilities.

He stated that that option is available to any taxpayer on whom a demand is made or who faces seizure of his or her assets.

The information minister also insisted that his brother received no special favours.

http://rjrnewsonline.com/news/local/...standing-taxes
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

So, because Vaz says so it is good enough?!?

Get real!

This should be investigated.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So the argument change now.

Again I asked if there is any proof that Vaz was the person called?

It is easy to jump to conculsions.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        So, because Vaz says so it is good enough?!?

Get real!

This should be investigated.
        RJR added another report after you posted the link and that report mentioned that money was paid and negotiations were ongoing. You jokers only picking out stuff that fit unuh agenda.

The same thing happened a while back with an auto dealer who paid money and the taxmen backed off. Why unuh never bitch then?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

The fact that a whistle-blower was involved suggests there was a deviation from the norm,so Vaz,s assertion about it is an available option is probably wrong.The top dawgs from the tax department did not call the press,nor was it Vaz.It had to be the field agents that sense wrongdoings based on their experience.There are two types of involvementd,direct and indirect

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
            The fact that a whistle-blower was involved suggests there was a deviation from the norm,so Vaz,s assertion about it is an available option is probably wrong.The top dawgs from the tax department did not call the press,nor was it Vaz.It had to be the field agents that sense wrongdoings based on their experience.There are two types of involvementd,direct and indirect
            ... try spin it how unuh want ...mi notice lately people prefer to speculate.

Comment

Why would the brother of a Govt official be a tax dodger?Their relative isn't a friend to the cause.

Comment

Wait the president brother was a criminal in the US.

That is not even a good question Rocky. For all I know there are politicians themselves who are tax dodgers, ask Charlie Ranglin etc.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

who? billy carter?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

OBTW,often we are forced to speculate as was the case when the PM initially stated non-involvement in the Dudus debacle,bold declarations were made then too.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                      OBTW,often we are forced to speculate as was the case when the PM initially stated non-involvement in the Dudus debacle,bold declarations were made then too.
                      .. be more specific nuh? Let the speculation begin.

Comment

Well you saw whoever it is for what he is right?
                        And when did the US become the paradigm?

Comment

Okay,Bruce said it was the costitutional rights of J'cans is why his fingerprint was all over the issue,the fact that he changed made his later declaration more likely;he was concern about something else.He also declared the Govt did not hire Manatt only to be later forced to admit his party did hire,a meaningless distinction.

Comment

Clinton brother.

Comment

There are too many politican relatives in Jamaica that are tax cheats. Can you explain how Bunting and Golding company they part owned paid no tax on Hendonism 3? Too many to talk about. Can you judge Dudus brother by Dudus actions?

Comment

Working...
                              X