• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear energy in jamaica

Did Paulwell say that?

Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Dear Editor,
    I saw in the news where the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant's problems worsened to the point where it was placed in the same class as Chernobyl. Some politicians and others are pushing for nuclear power plants to be installed in Jamaica.
    This might not be too bad if proper care is taken. Maybe we could consider one of the new concept fail- safe reactors (in development) or perhaps a Thorium-fuelled reactor after the Indians perfect the technology. This makes you wonder about Philip Paulwell, the PNP shadow minister of energy, who was reported in The Gleaner in March as saying that a 50-megawatt nuclear power plant could be the size of a bathtub.
    If someone told me there was such a reactor in the next room, I'd find a pencil and write my last will and testament as fast as I could, because I'd expect to be dead in days due to radiation poisoning.
    Being an engineer and having a basic idea of the size of things, I figure that the only thing that could be the size of a bathtub would be the unshielded reactor core, and even one of the cooling water pumps for dissipating the megawatts of waste energy would be bigger than a bathtub.
    This size reactor would have to be placed beside a source of cooling water, such as the sea, and would have to pump thousands of gallons per minute to remove the waste heat. How about us putting a nuclear reactor beside the nearest available large body of water for cooling?
    We in Jamaica are even now reported to be expecting a major earthquake, and our island is criss-crossed with faults, and we have faults offshore, so should we put it beside the sea with the possibility of a Fukushima repeat? As it is, almost all our conventional power plants are near the sea, so a disaster only leaves us with an oily mess and no electricity.
    Is ignorance bliss? Not in nuclear reactors it isn't! Ignorance and miscalculation in nuclear power equals death, contamination, and genetic mutation/cancer (as in Chernobyl even now)! Contamination with Plutonium 236 (which has a half-life of 24,000 years), a fission byproduct of Uranium would persist for tens of thousands of years.
    Perhaps Mr Paulwell should consider getting some engineering advice to avoid delivering himself of such a load of nonsense again. Perhaps politicians should be replaced by engineers? They might get it right.
    Howard Chin

hmc14@cwjamaica.com

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lette...#ixzz1Ob9aH928

I saw where Paulwell said such things about nuclear power. There are indeed reactors of small size with a huge power output.
    Russkies & Yanks have submarines powered by small nuclear reactors putting out 200+ megawatts... which is 25% or more of the entire installed generating capacity in Jamaica...from 1 vessel.

One medium sized nuclear reactor of 1000 megawatts could easily power all of Jamaica..... that might cost $3B and free us from the hydrocarbon extortionists.... they're also now building smaller commercial reactors of say 300 megawatts which may be more appropriate for Jamaica.

However the nuclear option is a non-starter tho.... wi too small & tourism dependent... if one ah dem ting deh buss wich part wi ah run guh? Lime Cay & Pigeon Cay dem areddy book out by Maudib an di Latte crowd.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

A sub generating 200 megawatts???

Dat sounds excessive. How you make it detection proof then?

Comment

Well HL asked a even better question. "where are we going to put the nuclear waste?"

If Germany getting rid of their reactors, I don't see why we should want one.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Haffi hand it to yuh...yuh karrect:

India launched its first submarine in 2009, the 6000 dwt Arihant SSBN, with a single 85 MW PWR driving a 70 MW steam turbine. It is reported to have cost US$ 2.9 billion, and several more are planned. India is also leasing an almost-new 7900 dwt (12,770 tonne submerged) Russian Akula-II class nuclear attack submarine for ten years from 2010, at a cost of US$ 650 million: the Chakra, formerly Nerpa. It has a single 190 MWt VM-5/ OK-650 PWR driving a 32 MW steam turbine and two 2 MWe turbogenerators.
          The USA has the main navy with nuclear-powered aircraft carriers, while both it and Russia have had nuclear-powered cruisers (USA: 9, Russia 4). The USA had built 219 nuclear-powered vessels to mid 2010, and then had five submarines and an aircraft carrier under construction. All US aircraft carriers and submarines are nuclear-powered.
          The US Navy has accumulated over 6200 reactor-years of accident-free experience over the course of 230 million kilometres, and operated 82 nuclear-powered ships (11 aircraft carriers, 71 submarines - 18 SSBN/SSGN, 53 SSN) with 103 reactors as of March 2010.
          The Russian Navy has logged over 6000 nautical reactor-years. It appears to have eight strategic submarines (SSBN/SSGN) in operation and 13 nuclear-powered attack submarines (SSN), plus some diesel subs. Russia has announced that it will build eight new nuclear SSBN submarines in its plan to 2015. Its only nuclear-powered carrier project was cancelled in 1992. It has one nuclear-powered cruiser in operation and three others being overhauled.
          France has a nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and ten nuclear submarines (4 SSBN, 6 Rubis class SSN). The UK has 12 submarines, all nuclear powered (4 SSBN, 8 SSN). China is understood to have about ten nuclear submarines (possibly 3 SSBN, 7 SSN).

Comment

Dem all have thermal signatures...unavoidable due to the extreme heat.

Comment

That is a problem for 25 years in the future. Costs about USD$10m to safely dump the waste.

The energy density is great and the nuclear Naval industry in the US is accident free. Submarine and ship reactors have to be more robust due to tavelling and battle manouvers...yet still they are very safe....so far.

I think that with the learnings from the Naval nuke industry and lower powered safe designs it COULD be possible to go this route safely. It haffi be done correctly though.

Dont we have a Canadian slow-poke research reactor up at UWI?

Comment

Willi I will not trust it. Knowing our workmanship and corrupt politicians. The people in New Orleans thought they were safe too.

We are prone to cat 4 hurricanes and we have experience with Earthquake so I wouldn't even think in that direction. Use our solar, ethonal, wind and all the other sources we have. One simple accident can mean too much to our little island GDP.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

The largest Russian vessel has twin units producing 190MW... each http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf34.html

Most of the noise produced by submarines are from propellers moving water...the machine noises are mostly suppressed...plus decaying uranium naturally produces heat to boil water to produce steam to run turbines to produce power...not much noise

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Small Nuclear Power Reactors
                    http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf33.html
                    Last edited by Willi; June 7, 2011, 10:55 AM.

Comment

yep..mi ave ah likkle intress in di subjek

Comment

Russia takes in nuclear waste as an industry... reprocesses it into fuel grade material an sell it back...

Comment

I didnt mean mechanical noise!

A nuclear sub is essentially a supercomputer. Thus it generates tremendous electro-mag noise and a great deal of radio freq interference. Couple this with the electrical output of the Nuke engine and you have a need for superior shielding. This RFI, etc can be detected remotely by the enemy, but shielding with stealth tech material can deal with a lot of this. However, the enormous sea water heat distortion from cooling the reactor is another issue. Infrared imaging by satellite can prolly detect this.

On another note: these Nuke subs have at least 100 tons of lead shielding around the reactor...not sure if this is just the primary shielding or the combination of weight for primary and secondary shielding.

The point is moot anyway, dem fi upgrade to a matter/anti-matter reactor powered by di-lithium crystals and use a forcefield to enable containment around the core. LoL

Comment

U know seh dem use shielding material from the Nuke industry as a performance tweak in hi-end audio circles?

Check out Black Ravioli!

Comment

not really...heat is not a problem with detection. the reactor are lead shielded and they retain & re-use the heat for power generation.

subs have to be wary of noise, comm signals plus magnetism..the metal may be detectable especially from the air

Comment

Working...
                              X