X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Govt agencies at odds over Christiana road estimates

Christiana road project controversy deepens
    2011-06-06

The head of the National Works Agency has refuted a Jamaica Information Service (JIS) report that the initial cost of the controversial Christiana Bypass project was $500 million.

In an article published today in The Gavel, in The Gleaner newspaper, a September 2010 JIS report was cited, saying the road construction project would have cost the Jamaican equivalent of US$6 million.

However, the NWA CEO Patrick Wong told Parliament’s Public Administration and Appropriations Committee last week that the project will cost $800 million.

Contacted for an explanation this morning, Wong initially declined to provide an immediate response.

However, when pressed he said the JIS report was inaccurate.

The Contractor General Greg Christie has demanded the detailed particulars of the controversial road construction project in Christiana.

He gave the NWA until midday Friday to provide his office with the details of the proposed 800 million-dollar project.

Wong said the agency is looking to provide the information even before Friday.

The Opposition has raised concern about the cost of the project to construct the one-kilometre of roadway in Christiana, which is in the North East Manchester constituency of the finance minister Audley Shaw.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

suh wait.. Christie nuh even duh him wuk yet ?

Heh, heh.. dis project and di bill announce 4 months ago innah di papah.. what all the excitement about now ?

Comment

I guess it depends on what exchange rate yuh use. US$6M is exactly JA$800 if the exchange rate is...mi division not so sort out still.

I wonder if there is any other town in Jamaica that could use a development road? What a coincidence that the only one we have heard about falls in Shaw's constituency!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I have attempted to drive through that area during many a rush hour. The congestion and safety concerns are huge.
        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Is it any worse than Spauldings, or Browns Town?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The economy of the Chrisitana area is actually bigger than those two. Nonetheless, as I said in another post, many other towns will need to have expensive bypasses. I just hope there will be access controls along the bypasses to ensure they dont become non-functional.

Comment

Well maybe unnu need fi elect a finance minister a Browns town. Them nuh have no great ball field demand up deh like TG and Arnett.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                I guess it depends on what exchange rate yuh use. US$6M is exactly JA$800 if the exchange rate is...mi division not so sort out still.
                JA$133.33 to US$1

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Thanks! Is computah yuh use or calculatah?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

abacus mi use... bean counting

Comment

Well, if fi you people get back in next year, the exchange rate may get there!

Comment

You people!?! My only concern is to kick Liad Bruce out of public office. Mi nuh care bout nutten else aftah dat!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          Well maybe unnu need fi elect a finance minister a Browns town. Them nuh have no great ball field demand up deh like TG and Arnett.
                          The fact that work is to be done in Brown's Town show that ppl only mekking up noise on the issue.
                          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

K. D. describes cost of Manchester road as a "monumental disgrace"

Senator K. D. Knight, (Photo: The Gleaner).
                            K.D. Knight, a People's National Party (PNP) Senator and former cabinet minister, has blasted the Bruce Golding-led Government for the hundreds of millions of dollars that he claims is being wasted on a road in Manchester.

The expenditure on the controversial Christiana road, which is now the subject of an investigation by the Office of the Contractor General, is projected to cost $800 million.

But Mr. Knight, who was addressing a PNP rally at Orange Bay in Hanover Sunday night, described the massive expenditure of funds on the one kilometre stretch of road as a "monumental disgrace".

Mr. Knight did not mince words in expressing his disgust with the cost to construct the road.

He demanded answers and asserted that the Golding Government will be hearing from him on the matter as soon as he gets more information.

"I’d like to know who they bought the land from, I’d like to know who are the contractors (and) I’d like to know who approved the $800 million because the moment I hear who approved it, I am going to write that minister a letter and tell them that ‘Star Boy’ says pack your bags and go," Mr. Knight told party supporters.

The PNP Senator believes that no amount of explanation can justify the exorbitant cost to fix that road.

"(They’re) talking about that piece of road was needed and justifying (that) $800 million instead of being ashamed of themselves," Mr. Knight stated.

He added that the amount of money said to have been spent to acquire land is unbelievable.

According to Mr. Knight, he is anxiously awaiting the results of an investigation to be undertaken by the Contractor General.

Hayles hits backs at the PM

Ian Hayles, the PNP Member of Parliament (MP) for Western Hanover, has taken aim at Prime Minister Bruce Golding, who recently suggested that he was neglecting the constituency.

At a function on Sunday, Mr. Hayles said he was constantly appealing for help to fix roads in the constituency, but the Government has not assisted.

According to Mr. Hayles, the $80 million he received was over four years ago.

Mr. Hayles claimed that others are given priority even though he is the MP.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Was KD speaking about the decaying white elephant in his constituency?

Comment

Working...
                              X