X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sandals Defends Hiring Policy

Gordon 'Butch' Stewart
    McPherse Thompson, Assistant Editor - Business

Sandals Resorts International has hit back at the unknown sender of an email criticising the company for reserving high-paying managerial jobs for foreigners at its local properties, saying its entire board comprises Jamaican and Caribbean nationals and that locals are represented at every level of the organisation.

The email has been the subject of litigation in New York courts as Sandals sought to force the Californian-headquartered Google Inc to disclose wide-ranging information about the sender of the email to a number of 'undisclosed recipients'.

Sandals considered the contents libellous, and filed a petition seeking disclosure of information and materials that would enable it to build a case against the email sender, who suggested that the company benefited from subsidies from the Jamaican Government, while hiring native Jamaicans for low-paying menial jobs and reserving its high-skill, high-paying jobs for foreigners.

The courts have thrown out its case against Google.

Read More: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...business1.html
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

"Nearly half" of its general managers are Jamaican.

LOL! And they think this is something to state proudly !

It it really that hard to find qualified Jamaicans for those positions? They did say that the 3 resorts in St Lucia have 3 St Lucians running them. I wonder what the breakdown is for the other islands.

I better shut up before Sandals start to demand that reggaeboyzsc.com turn over my information.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Come on Iman, his son is jamaican and others in the inner circle. Granted it's family owned business and small in comparison to other multinationals.

Comment

I have been writing about this very issue for a long time.

Comment

I don't see the big deal. The inner circle is comprised of Jamaicans. They hire a lot of Jamaicans.

As global company picks should be picking the best for their top positions.

I wonder how they compare to Kerzner International?

Comment

I worked in the ATL Group which includes Sandals and I know a thing or two about the kinds of directors Butch likes. You can call me an expert in Sandals hiring practices. (snicker)

So, Butch can stay deh a talk!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I think we've had these discussions before and it was agreed or rather alleged he had a distinct likeness for some kinds of people (over others)...some people like Muadib even revered it.

Comment

And trust mi when I tell you again, it had nothing to do with qualifications. But guess what - a fi him ting!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

We need to look deeper into the numbers because I in the 80s some of these hotels send people to Canada and US to train and they don't return.

I also have two very good brethren who started out on the low end of the pole and doing very good at Sandals. Both swear by it because Sandals have their own management programs in place now. When I was in the industry I got every training I could from JTB, CHTA etc.

I still think Sandals is better than many of the hotels.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Stop talking with coded language and make your point!
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                    X