Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US $3-b project ignored - By Both Parties

US $3-b project ignored

Doctor laments inaction of successive governments; says dry dock facility can employ thousands
    Sunday, June 05, 2011

A proposal by Jamaican medical doctor, Lloyd Cole, for the construction of a US billion-dollar dry dock facility at Jackson Bay in Clarendon has remained in a state of stillbirth for over 20 years, even after receiving endorsements from government ministers across successive administrations.

Now, Dr Cole, obviously frustrated with the procrastination by State officials, is making another appeal for the estimated US$3-billion project which, he says, could employ as many as 5,000 persons and transform that section of the island into a huge industrial city.

this country deserves much more than barely eking out an economic exice after decade

"I just want someone or some group or someone in governmental authority to take this project to its natural level," Dr Cole said in an interview with the Sunday Observer. "Forget about me. I am not important, but this country deserves much more than barely eking out an economic existence decade after decade."

Cole said he conceptualised the facility in 1990 believing that it can meet the service needs of cruise ships, cargo ships, and pleasure boats of all international marine categories and sizes.

The plan, he said, was based on his belief that Jamaica's location in relation to the Panama Canal sea lanes, the Eastern seaboard of Mexico, the United States and Canada makes the island the ideal location for a major maritime facility.

To set the plan in motion, Cole formed International Dry Dock Services and Allied Facilities Ltd, made contact with the relevant authorities in Jamaica — political and otherwise — and in the international community, sought approvals, had surveys done, drafted project documents on the plan in which he itemised the numerous linkages and the ability to transform Clarendon and its environs into an industrial city and Jamaica as a major international maritime hub.

"When this project was first thought of, the whole idea behind it was that a project of that nature, being service-oriented, would encourage technical skills, Jamaicans abroad and in Jamaica to focus attention on the development of the area and Jamaica in general, and, of course, they would be well-positioned to get a piece of the action as it develops," Cole had said in an article appearing in the Observer in May 2004. "So then, it would inspire confidence in the first instance and of course in general for all areas of development."

He pointed out that the only other facility in the Caribbean Basin capable of offering similar services is at the Panama Canal, which does, on average, 14,000 transits per year.

Dr Cole said he has spent millions of his own money in bringing the project plans to as far as he can take them.

"At all stages, it was obvious that the Government, at any time, would have to be directly involved," he said. "A massive project of this nature would need government-to-government involvement. It makes no sense to me that those in authority, in government, have not seen it fit to pursue this project and run with it.

"I have had interviews with the Chinese and they have nodded their interest and approval but only if the Government is on board."

Dr Cole showed this writer an e-mail he received in 2006 from the financial director of Dubai Drydocks, Sameer Y Khan, stating interest in the project.
    "I think a feasibility study is absolutely essential as we have limited knowledge of the shipping lanes in that area," Khan wrote. "This has to be done by yourselves. In principle we would be willing to act as adviser and investor, providing this is seen to be a profitable venture... The study should also consider the expansion of the Panama Canal and the impact that will have on the type vessels that will enter the area."

Cole said he has sent copies of the e-mail to everyone in Government who knows of the project and who had given their endorsement.

"Minister Mike Henry knows of it. The prime minister knows of it. Just the announcement that the Government is interested in pursuing such a project would lead to huge levels of increase in business confidence in Jamaica and attention from foreign investors," Cole said.

Minister Henry was among the numerous persons who have endorsed Dr Cole's dry dock development plan. On October 3, 2007, shortly after the general election that brought Henry's party to office, he responded to a letter from Dr Cole.

"Thank you most sincerely for your congratulatory letter. I appreciate the confidence you have placed in this administration and you can be assured that we will make effort to propel the country in a direction which can only redound to the best interest of Jamaicans and the country. I have noted your project and will do the best I can," Henry wrote.

On December 24, 2008, Henry, in response to another letter from Cole, wrote: "Dear Dr Cole, Re: The International Dry Dock Services and Allied Facilities Project. Thank you for your letter of December 12, 2008 concerning the above. I have requested an update from my policy officer who is dealing with the matter and you can be assured that all efforts will be made to ensure that this project will greatly benefit Jamaica."

On July 28, 2009 the minister again wrote to Dr Cole, saying: "Thanks for your letter of July 20, 2009 and for the kind remarks you have expressed. Given my interest in this project, I am following up the matter."

Dr Cole has been receiving endorsements of the plan since 1994 when then Prime Minister PJ Patterson gave it his support in writing on March 29.

On September 16, 1997 Dr Paul Robertson, the then minister of industry, investment and commerce, wrote to Cole saying: "This is to inform you that the above mentioned project is part of the portfolio of investment projects by the Government of Jamaica's investment promotion agency (JAMPRO)... The Government will provide such support and assistance as may be necessary and appropriate to facilitate the movement of this project from concept to implementation."

Among the others who endorsed it are Phillip Paulwell, then minister of commerce and technology (3/11/98); Dr Peter Phillips, then minister of transport and works (7/1/99); Portia Simpson Miller, then minister of labour, social security and sports (18/2/99); Francis Tulloch, then minister of tourism (3/05/99); Vin Lawrence, then chairman, Urban Development Corporation (22/2/99), and a host of public sector technocrats, and officials in academia.

On May 18, 1999, Dr Cole also received endorsement from Bruce Golding who, at the time, was leading the National Democratic Movement.

"I enjoyed meeting with you last Friday and I am very impressed with the proposal you outlined for a major dry dock facility along our south coast," Golding wrote.

"This project makes eminent sense, given our strategic location proximate to an important sea lane for international cargo vessels. I must commend you on the creativity and imagination that you have put into it. Please keep me informed as the project develops. You are assured of any assistance I can give."

On April 14, 2009 Cole sent a memo to Golding, now the prime minister, in which he stated the following: "Bauxite is not renewable and will be exhausted in the near, foreseeable future. Agriculture -- Jamaica has limited amount of flat, arable land for mechanised farming. There are restrictions by quotas and fixed prices on the global market. It is susceptible to natural disasters.

"Tourism — There is insufficient quality infrastructure, eg, entertainment and other varied attractions to attract visitor arrivals in large numbers beyond what is now in place. It is a sensitive industry.

"The above facts seriously limit Jamaica's capability to expand beyond subsistence. Jamaica needs major industrial projects as outlined in the International Dry Dock Services and Allied Facilities manual. The lifting of certain restrictions by President Obama, his enlightened attitude towards Cuba, and the recent visit to that island by members of the US Congress signal a new era of US relations with Cuba. It is only a matter of time before Cuba seizes the initiative on projects such as the proposed dry dock, leaving Jamaica nursing regrets."

Added Cole: "I urge my Government to make every effort to implement this innovative and far-reaching project. Dubai has offered to 'advise and invest' in this project, pending pre-feasibility study. This is the project for medium and long-term sustainable development. Budget manipulation, job cuts and taxation without substantial innovative projects development merely postpone economic disaster and are vain attempts to solve or deter the nation's economic woes beyond Third World subsistency."

Cole estimates that the much-needed pre-feasibility study would cost about US$0.5 million, the full study about US$2 million and the project anywhere between US$2 billion and US$3 billion. Construction would likely run for in excess of five years.

TOMORROW: The economic potential of Dr Lloyd Cole's project

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1OPPNxmXe
    Last edited by Karl; June 5, 2011, 12:19 PM.

in all matters that defy reason.. follow the money...

Comment

A set of bumbling idiots, dem si dung pan di ganja investment now the ports?
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Muadib, yuh very we3ll seh mi nuh connected, show a bredda nuh, cho.

Comment

I have seen di workings over the years.. Jamaica is too 'small' for Billion dollar projects to take off based on merit.. certainly ones that threaten the 'establishment' and 'vested interests'.. yuh cyaan leave out certain man...

Ah mi fi tell yuh..

Yuh nuh si what happen to Ian Moore ?

Comment

Working...
          X