• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Rapture, No job!

No rapture, no job - Preacher fired but doesn't want pity

Crystal Harrison, Star Writer

Michael Lewis

Doomsday preacher, Michael Lewis, the man who came on local television predicting May 21 to be Judgement Day is now without a job after being fired but he is asking Jamaicans not to feel sorry for him.

Lewis, who was an auditor at a major hotel chain, told THE STAR that he was fired after the Labour Day holiday without an explanation for his dismissal.

"It is clear why I was fired because I am probably the best auditor in town and they had no problems with my work; but I did that (television) interview with the full knowledge of all the possible consequences," he said. "I wasn't really surprised by the dismissal, I was more surprised at the timing of the dismissal, my first day back at work."

Lewis shared the view of the prophecy that was put forward by the American Harold Camping, president of Christian Radio Network Family Stations Inc, that May 21 would have been Judgement Day.

A confident Lewis had predicted that the day before May 21, there would have been a great earthquake.

Some Jamaicans who believed in the prophecy flocked several churches around the island to get baptised. However, May 21 passed and the prediction has been regarded as a false alarm. Since then, a number of local persons have claimed that Lewis should have been beaten or committed to Bellevue for his fake prophecy.

A confident Lewis, however, told THE STAR that he is not fearful and doesn't believe that the May 21 prediction was a flop.

According to him, May 21 was Judgement Day; but it didn't materialise the way he had expected.

"Judgement came, and God's salvation is over. The door of salvation is now closed and the Rapture will happen on October 21," he said.

Lewis further reasoned: "People are saying that we cannot know the minute or the hour that God will put in his appearance, but why is it we cannot know? It was not yet time for them to know the time but Ecclesiastes 8, verse 5 says that a wise man can discern the time and the Judgement. I want any pastor to respond to at least one time where God brought judgement on the Earth and didn't give a warning."

In terms of his former employers, Lewis claims that he isn't planning to take legal action. "God is my judge and I don't fear man; but I fear God who can destroy the body and the soul," he said.

In the meantime, when THE STAR contacted Lewis' former place of employment the company's public relations assistant said that they had no comment on the matter at this time

As to his next step, Lewis said that he has not made a decision.
    Last edited by Karl; June 2, 2011, 09:25 PM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Him nuh need any job. Just have a fling until the new Rapture comes
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

I wonder how many more years before religious people give up on this idea? Another 500-1000 perhaps? Maybe its just a part of being humans.

For anyone who reads the New Testament objectively, it is clear that writers like Apostle Paul were convinced that Jesus would be coming back in thier lifetime. Thats basically what they were preaching although modern day churches will of course interpret it differently since he hasn't come back almost 2000 years later.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Heathen! Infidel!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Me sorry fi him, no sah, him soon open church full a woman, and then pass mi pon de Northern Coastal Highway inna him Bimmer head to the Ritz pon vacation, no mi dady..

Comment

DEM SERIOUS lol

Comment

I wonder on what basis he was fired...but he said he would not take them to court, certainly his former employers know they cnat just fire him for his religious beliefs...
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

same thing mi a wonder

Comment

for making a complete ass of himself? and by extension, his company. is that a good enough reason to fire someone? i think so!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

which skool him use 2 go

Comment

And anyway, he has to prepare for another Rapture in 4 months, so he needs the time off.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                        I wonder how many more years before religious people give up on this idea? Another 500-1000 perhaps? Maybe its just a part of being humans.

For anyone who reads the New Testament objectively, it is clear that writers like Apostle Paul were convinced that Jesus would be coming back in thier lifetime. Thats basically what they were preaching although modern day churches will of course interpret it differently since he hasn't come back almost 2000 years later.
                        Lie dat yuh ah tell ... Bruce came back in 2007... for a chosen few Apostles like Muadib, Lazie & Co

Rather than signifying a human trait...It's just part of being a sycophant

LOL
                        Last edited by Don1; June 3, 2011, 02:31 PM.
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Almost removed the last remaining faith,what if he had won as the leader of the third party?

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                            Almost removed the last remaining faith,what if he had won as the leader of the third party?
                            A statistical impossibility
                            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

well ..... all of that is not helped by "a day is like a thousand years in the eyes of the lord"

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X