• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desi Jones, Argument done

Desi Jones well 'Skooled' in drumming
    published: Sunday | June 24, 2007

Drummer Desi Jones. - Ian Allen/Staff Photographer
    Krista Henry, Staff Reporter
    Feeling the rhythm with each tap, drummer Desi Jones speaks to his audience with each performance. A musical son of Sonny Bradshaw, Jones is also a key member of the popular backing band Skool.
    Although an expert drummer, Jones began his musical journey with a recorder at the Institute of Jamaica Junior Centre. It was at the centre that he first discovered drums - the conga drums - under the direction of his teachers Mackie Burnette and Mr. Lewis. His love for drumming came from watching other drummers while growing up.
    "Locally, my mentors were Calvin McKenzie, Tony 'JJ' Smith and Leroy 'Horsemouth' Wallace. Like most drummers in Jamaica I was also influenced by Sly Dunbar, whom I consider to be the greatest rhythm innovator from Jamaica. While a member of the Salvation Army Kingston Central Corps I was taught the trombone by Bandmaster John Mills. While in the Salvation Army band the young people started a gospel/ pop reggae band and I became the drumset player," Jones said.
    However, his biggest break came when he joined forces with trumpeter Sonny Bradshaw. "At CARIFESTA 1976 in Jamaica I was introduced to Mr. Sonny Bradshaw by Dean Fraser. I was playing congas for the Eddie Thomas Dance Group at the festival and the drummer for the Sonny Bradshaw Seven met in an accident. Sonny took the chance and allowed me to play for the band that day. Later in the year I was offered the job and I took it," Jones said.
    Wide range
    Musically, Jones' style runs the range of reggae, jazz, Latin and Jamaican traditional beats. It was this diversity that led him to playing with the Skool Band since 1988. Skool has provided backing for numerous artistes, one of the main ones being the legendary Jimmy Cliff with whom they have travelled the world. Jones says that he has toured all continents except for Antarctica, gaining inspiration along the way.
    "I get inspiration from the knowledge that with just a simple beat I can make people dance. The drums can also make a person's mood change from joy to sadness," he said.
    With that in mind, Jones strives to continue improving his technique day by day, since music is his passion, having never wanted to pursue another course. According to Jones if you have the passion and drive for music then go for it; strive for the best. Although he has never released a solo album Jones, say he has "produced, arranged and played on a number of CDs for Mutabaruka, Carlene Davis, Peter Ashbourne, Skool Band and (the album) The Art Of Reggae Drumming".
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Oh my I did not read this article before posting the previous post.I would like to add the taxi rhythm is to J'cans what the Spinners' 'Reason' is to Americans.

Comment

Nevertheless....

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      Desi Jones well 'Skooled' in drumming
      published: Sunday | June 24, 2007

"Locally, my mentors were Calvin McKenzie, Tony 'JJ' Smith and Leroy 'Horsemouth' Wallace. Like most drummers in Jamaica I was also influenced by Sly Dunbar, whom I consider to be the greatest rhythm innovator from Jamaica.

Wide range
      Musically, Jones' style runs the range of reggae, jazz, Latin and Jamaican traditional beats. It was this diversity that led him to playing with the Skool Band since 1988. , arranged and played on a number of CDs for Mutabaruka, Carlene
      Good post, Assasin, but why the “argument done” comment in your title line? Because Desi considered Sly Dunbar the “greatest rhythm innovator from Jamaica” does not mean that Sly is the greater of the two drummers today!

By the way, what I have been patiently trying to state, without appearing too overbearing, is that Desi Jones is, without question, the single most utilized drummer inn Jamaica for major live events, from independence celebrations to jazz festivals. There is no question about this.

Comment

Sly certainly can't stretch no more. Mi wonder how him do it. Contribute to so many studio hits per year yet touring worldwide.

Desi a do him thing and and a make a money while at it, fine, but could sly be in any more demand than he is right now?

Sly a Master. Is like you a compare Pele or Maradonna with Messi as far as I am concerned. It is who is the latest against the greatest. A few years ago Lazie use to tell me Dhino is the greatest. LOL.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
          Oh my I did not read this article before posting the previous post.I would like to add the taxi rhythm is to J'cans what the Spinners' 'Reason' is to Americans.
          Which Spinners chune dat?

Is EW&F yuh ah talk?
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Yes to neckback,thanks!

Comment

Working...
            X