Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, Jazz is Partially a Criterion

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
    It seems like having a Jazz influence is his biggest thing and playing from sheet.

A major part of drumming to me is the pattern and originality. He is making Sly out to be just a Studio drummer, No he is a Great Studio drummer.

Again I have seen the work of Winston Grenning and what I know of Dessie Jones and ...... Has he improved just because he is sort after in the Jazz community?? Chalice is a minor group but a it Desi used to build himself for about 5 years.

Both Grenning and Jones are good drummers still but you think so many great musicians such as Herbie Hancock. Monti Alexander, etc. a good sought after any average studio drummer?
    I kept saying it during my discussions with poster X: the greatest musicians tend to veer towards jazz for the simple reason that, beyond a certain stage of musical development, jazz is what musicians invariably and logically turn to. This is because jazz, more than any other form of music (including classical) offers the greatest scope for melodic, harmonic and rhythmic extensions. No other genre offers the room for creative explorations and unrestricted creativity as jazz does.

Don’t believe me? Then check out many of the foremost Jamaican musicians (Jon Williams, Dean Fraser, Peter Ashbourne, Harold Butler, Sparrow Martin, Seretse Small, Ernest Ranglin, Owen Grey, Dr. Kathy Brown (she is a really good pianist), Maurice Gordon, Majorie Whylie, Dale Haslam, Othneil Lewis, Deleon White, Charmaine Limonius, and numerous others) and see what they play primarily.

One does not have to play from sheet, as modern jazz is primarily improvisational in nature. By the way, since you mentioned Monty Alexander, the fact is that Desi Jones most often accompanies him (much more often than any other Jamaican drummer), and not only at the Air Jamaica Jazz and Blues Festival. You have been away from Jamaica for too long, as although Desi got his formative years in Chalice, that was almost three decades ago!! Since then he has honed his skills in countless jazz settings.

You need to check out 21 st century Jones. Assasin, you have left the non-reggae music scene in Jamaica for too long!

Comment

I am saying there is no formula for where to start and where to end, it is subjective.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

i know what i like and how i like it!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

???? I-man you a make mi dizzy. If it is subjective why should we take out the work he has in the public domain yet include all of Sly's???

Historian used a formula to reach his judgement, that is what I wanted to know, then we can talk. If he it is "Jazz influenced" then I will leave it alone but anything else whether it is Reggae, POP, ROCK, R&B, Hip Hop, Ska, Rocksteady, quadrille etc, Sly inna di mix.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

yeah I haven't really been following Jazz since of late, I like some originality. Love fi take in some Jazz yes but when it comes to music, I don't just want to hear somebody's version, but something new, something different too.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Thank You!

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
              Chalice was just a stepping stone for Desi though, you can't judge his ability based on that.

I saw an interview with Wayne Armond years ago where he basically said Desi really had to leave the group because thier kind of music was way too limited for his talent. How often you hear a band leader saying that about a group member who leaves them.
              Thank you for making this input, Islandman!

The problem is that Assasin, despite his vast knowledge of Jamaica’s reggae music scene, is not in touch with Jamaica’s music scene today.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                I kept saying it during my discussions with poster X: the greatest musicians tend to veer towards jazz for the simple reason that, beyond a certain stage of musical development, jazz is what musicians invariably and logically turn to. This is because jazz, more than any other form of music (including classical) offers the greatest scope for melodic, harmonic and rhythmic extensions. No other genre offers the room for creative explorations and unrestricted creativity as jazz does.

Don’t believe me? Then check out many of the foremost Jamaican musicians (Jon Williams, Dean Fraser, Peter Ashbourne, Harold Butler, Sparrow Martin, Seretse Small, Ernest Ranglin, Owen Grey, Dr. Kathy Brown (she is a really good pianist), Maurice Gordon, Majorie Whylie, Dale Haslam, Othneil Lewis, Deleon White, Charmaine Limonius, and numerous others) and see what they play primarily.
                Dat mean seh Vybz Kartel soon reach Jazz den

White Face Simini mi seh
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Yeah but it is a fallacy to think transition to Jazz signifies one has arrived,and Sly is that reality.

Comment

Nice!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I am raising the Bar - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA5dt...eature=related

Comment

This what Historian is talking about - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrYBE...eature=related

Comment

Working...
                        X