Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Drummer Sly Dunbar

Originally posted by Assasin
    How Sly nuh inna the top 5? you have something against him??

Sly is a very good drummer, Listen to his earlier non computerized work.
    You have something against the man? He is rated amongst the top 5 drummers in the world and his achievement is there to be counted. You can't call so many drummers and nuh mention Sly. you have a bias historian.

Originally posted by Ambassadah
    Don't know who you will replace but in my opinion the top five has to include Winston Grennan. Also as Assassin says Sly deserves top 5 consideration as well.

Thank you for your comments, gentlemen , although I’m not sure why the harsh accusations of “bias” and having “something against the man” have come into play here. I can assure you that, in reality, Sly Dunbar is NOT among the top five (5) -- nor even the Top 20 -- drummers in the world!

Now, I’ll just sit back and watch the inevitable nationalistic criticisms about not recognizing our own and other such nonsense come into play now. But I can assure you that, despite the phenomenon we know as globalization, this world is still a much larger place than some of us seem to realize! The eastern and western hemispheres are saturated with astonishing musicians, including drummers, and I’m referring here to drummers who can create miracles in any odd-beat time signature! We need to listen more widely than we obviously have been doing.

(By the way, I notice that there have been no comments about my list of the “Top 5 Drummers of All Time” in my opening post in that other thread.)

Of course I am fully aware of Sly Dunbar’s body of work! I also know the man personally, although the last time I saw him up close was way back in the early to mid-1980s when I visited Channel One studios on Maxfield Ave. The highly rated recording engineer Scientist was at work on a project I was assisting with. Sly was just hanging out in the studio that evening. From the little I know of him, Sly is one of the humblest and nicest persons one can meet, and I like and respect him tremendously.

I did not include Sly in my Top 5 Greatest Jamaican Drummers simply because the five I have listed are, in my honest opinion, technically more advanced drummers than Sly, based on what I have heard them do!

Be careful about assessing musicians based on Top-20 record sales!
    In fact, on the matter of rating Sly, despite the work he has done with several international stars, does this make him a greater drummer than, say, the very eclectic and accomplished fellow Jamaican drummer Desi Jones who is obviously equally at home interpreting the most complex jazz arrangements with odd time signatures or the simplest reggae grooves? Looking at the issue another way, what is there about Sly’s drumming on Cyndi Lauper’s hit, “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” or the Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes’ movie soundtrack hit, “Up Where We Belong” (from the movie “An Officer and a Gentleman”) that is different from what the typical A-List studio drummer in LA or New York or Nashville would have done?

I did not expect my “Top 5” list to be agreed on by everyone. I can assure you, however, that this list is not based on perceived greatness according to the local or foreign media (some of whom employ writers who are not qualified to make objective assessments of anything musical), but rather on my conclusions after listening closely -- very closely -- to these drummers over several decades. Mention was made in that other thread of the 1980s reggae super group Black Uhuru, for instance. How anyone can adequately assess Sly’s abilities based on his work with Black Uhuru (a group whose arrangements posed no serious demands whatsoever in terms of drumming) is beyond me!

(By the way, when I compile my list of “Great Bass Players,” Robbie Shakespeare, who is a highly overrated bassist at best, will not be included. Robbie’s technique, knowledge and style are, at best, simplistic when compared with several Jamaican and Caribbean bass players. In fact, the bass solo he played during the cultural segment of the World Cup Cricket, held at the stadium in Trelawney a couple of years ago, is as clear a testament as ever to Robbie’s severe limitations as a bassist. And speaking of Caribbean bass players, this morning I was listening to the late soca singer Arrow. Next time readers here get a chance to listen to “Hot, Hot, Hot,” check out Arrow’s bass player. Now, that is tasteful, technically competent bass playing!!)

in the world ok ...none of the reggae drummers you mentioned were top 5 so i can understand but i am baffled as to why he is not in your top 5 REGGAE or jamaican drummers ..... don't really see how this "nationlism" epithet that you threw out is relevant here ... but i am willing to learn.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Nothing Baffling, Gamma

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      in the world ok ...none of the reggae drummers you mentioned were top 5 so i can understand but i am baffled as to why he is not in your top 5 REGGAE or jamaican drummers ..... don't really see how this "nationlism" epithet that you threw out is relevant here ... but i am willing to learn.
      Gamma, check out the following drummer. He is Jamaican guitar great Owen Grey’s drummer at Sumfest 2005. Listen to his intricate drum solo on “Linstead Market” and give me your feedback. This is what I usually refer to when I talk about “great” drumming. His solo starts at around 7.06
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDLJ_XkRWo

Now, first of all, I did not try to make a (limiting) list of “reggae” drummers,” but rather, “Jamaican drummers.”

Secondly, Sly Dunbar is not on the list because I am not sure what criteria I would use to access him. Unlike Desi Jones or Carl Ayton or that unfortunate drummer Calvin McKenzie, I have never seen Sly play complex material. Sly is a very, very tasteful and creative drummer, but aside from those recordings in 4/4 time signatures (reggae and otherwise) and the intertwined riffs, what set of criteria would I use to explain his “greatness”? He is no different from any of the A-List of studio drummers in LA or New York, trust me on this!!

The young Jamaican Calvin McKenzie, before the untimely end of his career, used to play stuff in complex syncopated rhythms, all embedded in unusual time signatures. I wish I had tapes of his drum work with keyboardist Harold Butler and guitarist Lennox Gordon back in the 1970s! However, to get an idea of what I’m referring to, take some time and check out the work of drummers like Max Roach and Elvin Jones, both of whom TDowl referred to in another other thread.

My reference to “nationalism” is deliberate, as several times I have seen criticisms of anything Jamaica on this forum tossed aside as being “unpatriotic” (or words to that effect).

Comment

so ypur criteria is not about body of work etc but about technique? sly is well sought after in the music world outside of reggae for his creativity so that tells me he is well respected amongst his musical peers.

using my criteria ... music that i love...he would be up there in the top 5.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

"Below: Section I (Jamaican drummers); Section II (Greatest of All Times)"

Have you ever hear Billy Vernon or Lance Thelwell & The Celestials, or Mark hammond band? have you ever seen the drummers play for a Rhumba dancer?

Comment

mi want fi know what are the citeria. Historian, saying you have something against the man is a matter of relating my shock at you leaving the man out.

I use to see Winston Grenning back in the nineties and I can tell you based on what I see he has nothing on Sly(that is my opinion).

SLY is the most creative drummer out of Jamaica. There are studio drumming but Sly is also a very good live drummer. Take out Desi Jones and others you mention perfect recording and match it up to some of Sly's recording work and it is nowhere close. Desi was the resident drummer for Chalice so and the work come nowhere close to some of Sly Recording.

Yes Sly is one of the humblest person you can find and if he collect on royalty for all his work him woulda richer than any artist from Jamaica.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

you stay deh. Sly make simple riddim patterns that others can't do -

When Sly did a remix for Madonna and send 2 version for her to choose one, she said she wanted both.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

My Final Point

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                so ypur criteria is not about body of work etc but about technique? sly is well sought after in the music world outside of reggae for his creativity so that tells me he is well respected amongst his musical peers.

using my criteria ... music that i love...he would be up there in the top 5.

Originally posted by Assasin
                SLY is the most creative drummer out of Jamaica. There are studio drumming but Sly is also a very good live drummer. Take out Desi Jones and others you mention perfect recording and match it up to some of Sly's recording work and it is nowhere close. Desi was the resident drummer for Chalice so and the work come nowhere close to some of Sly Recording.

Assasin, you miss my point completely, boss! I was not referring to Desi’s work with Chalice! I did not even remember that he was drummer for that minor reggae group (Chalice). I am referring to his jazz work with all the leading jazz aggregations in Jamaica. It is not by coincidence that Desi Jones ends up being the drummer on so many of the biggest live jazz projects in Jamaica! He is that advanced a drummer!

Gamma, let’s not get into this “sought after” thing, as popularity does not always equate to greatness. There are numerous musicians who would NOT take part in popular music recording even if their lives depended on it!! They absolutely abhor commercial music. These are what we call the purists, and the world of jazz is filled with these people.

Also, there are many other drummers who are sought after! A drummer like John Robinson (an American) is probably the most recorded drummer in the USA, yet I suspect that very few posters here are aware of him!

You listen to a wide variety of music, and so here’s a tiny sample of over-used drummers (I do not have time to make a longer list):
                Bernard Purdie
                Steve Gadd
                the late Jeff Porcaro (studio drummer who with his colleagues formed the super group Toto)
                Billy Cobham
                Leon “Ndugu” Chancler
                Narada Michael Walden
                John Robinson
                Simon Phillips

Older sought after drummers include Tony Williams, Danny Gottlieb, etc.

There are a vast number of drummers across the USA, Canada, Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Europe who are well sought after, depending on the project that the particular producer(s) have in mind.

Comment

hey...that is why it is your list ..... however you have strayed from the point of JAMAICAN or reggae drummers

Comment

It seems like having a Jazz influence is his biggest thing and playing from sheet.

A major part of drumming to me is the pattern and originality. He is making Sly out to be just a Studio drummer, No he is a Great Studio drummer.

Again I have seen the work of Winston Grenning and what I know of Dessie Jones and ...... Has he improved just because he is sort after in the Jazz community?? Chalice is a minor group but a it Desi used to build himself for about 5 years.

Both Grenning and Jones are good drummers still but you think so many great musicians such as Herbie Hancock. Monti Alexander, etc. a good sought after any average studio drummer?

Comment

Chalice was just a stepping stone for Desi though, you can't judge his ability based on that.

I saw an interview with Wayne Armond years ago where he basically said Desi really had to leave the group because thier kind of music was way too limited for his talent. How often you hear a band leader saying that about a group member who leaves them.
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

it may have been a stepping stone but it is still a part of his body of work that has to be judged as well.

As I said Desi is a good drummer and the same citeria we have to use to judge Sly we have to use it to judge him as well. You have to check the whole catolog.

Comment

Up to a point. Judge the whole catalog yes, but within the context of what the opportunities were.

Look at acting for example, how many black actors start off doing some really third grade low budget movies with ordinary acting because that is what pay the bills, but once them get a chance with a decent script them mash it up. Take Jamie Fox as Ray Charles for example.

I don't think Historian is biased against Sly, he is just a technician where music is concerned so his list will reflect technical ability as the key criteria.As Gamma say it is HIS list.

If you judging say the best DJs of all-time, some people will go with riding the riddim, some will go more with lyrical content, some maybe with live performances.
                          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Agreed,it
                            would be interesting to hear the views of theJ'can drummersthat made his nevertheless impressive list.In terms of accomplishment and recognition it's hard to imagine why Sly did not make the list of Jamaican...,all things equal,he would be a household name in the US.

Comment

Well what are the citeria you using to judge???

The fact is you are taking out a whole 5 or so years of Desi work. Do we exclude some of Sly's work as well, when he was struggling or just knock up something fi a friend that he has no interest in?

Where does it end? or do we take the whole body of work???
                              In judging Will Smith or Jamie Fox, where does it start??? Eddie Murphy did some teribble movies and that is not even when he was struggling.

The fact is there is a whole body of work in the domain, and while it is Historian list, he seems more in tune to Jazz influence than anything else. If that is the case then he can keep his list and say Jamaican Jazz influenced Drummers but we don't have a lot of great Jamaican drummers and not even to mention Sly in his original post seem very odd to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X