No announcement yet.

One Turd's 2/3 Mile Road = US$9m.... Value for Money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The argument is that the road cost too much, not value for money and is part of an election slush fund.

On the face of it, it seems to be true, but I am open to hear more facts on the matter.

"The Opposition has raised concern about the cost of the project to construct the one-kilometre of roadway in Christiana, which is in the North East Manchester constituency of the finance minister Audley Shaw."

Comment

Oh... is suh it guh ?

China ask for one project ?

What are the lists of projects presented to the Chinese ?

Dem wuk based on OUR priority ?

Must be nice...

Comment

suh is ongly yuh have license fi put forward di bullshiit ?

And is not even yours in dis case.. yuh juss a fallah back ah it !

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          The argument is that the road cost too much, not value for money and is part of an election slush fund.

On the face of it, it seems to be true, but I am open to hear more facts on the matter.

"The Opposition has raised concern about the cost of the project to construct the one-kilometre of roadway in Christiana, which is in the North East Manchester constituency of the finance minister Audley Shaw."
          One opinion I have is that the road is VERY expensive for a mere 1000 meters. Whether this is a fair cost for such a road...I am not competent to say....neither is anyone who is not in possession of the engineering specs for the scope of the job... even if they may have the technical expertise.

My main argument however is not the hard cost... but the economic cost of this JDIP re-election fund
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Mosiah, I dont use that language to you. I am arguing from a position of expertise and familiarity with the locations. I am not resorting to personal nor coarse descriptors.
            I do these projects a dime a dozen and you dont. I dont just do schedules. I am not a fan of the ministers involved but they are right in this case. It might not be $800 mill, it might be over or under, but it is a difficult project that cannot be compared to Bogue whatsoever. The degree of complexity is significantly different. The engineering, the construction, the construction equipment, the equipment operators, the materials are much, much more expensive. Just think of the foundations alone for the bridges and the heavy equipment that must be used in the construction. I saw Bogue under construction every month and I know it is very simple construction compared with the Manchester project.
            The only argument should be whether the money should be spent on another project. However, this is a needed project and the components make it expensive.
            I frequently look at another project which is a mini version of this, between Highgate and Anotto Bay. If they had done what they are doing here, it would not have washed out and now left to cost the government several times the original cost for the initial proper solution.

There are other solutions such as the Rio Cobre upstream management and Flat Bridge replacement/alternative that need to be done in tandem. Each time those comprehensive solutions are presented, a similar response comes from critics.

The Manchester project will provide significant economic benefit but is being challenged primarily because of Audley Shaw.
            "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

infrastructure is always a drain on economy.. don't... ?

Nuh yuh did a big up PJ Highway slush fund ?

Mek up yuh mind nuh !

Comment

LOL... suh Chineyman come inna di place an demand fi spen money pon road? Dem did demand fi spen money pon foolfool stadium an Convention Center tuh?

Mi neva know seh dem suh demanding lol

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Willi, take it from me, it is an unusual short segment. It is not typical. There are several other short segments of roads in Jamaica which cost disproportionately more than typical sections do.

I take this the same way they just talked about how Chris Tufton's ministry is doing non-sense on some issues. I was stunned. In that case as in this, the people who are managing and controlling the projects are career civil servants. It seems to me that the politics is so polarizing that even when something good is done, we have to find some way to villify the people involved.

Again, I repeat, I am no fan of many of the individuals involved in these projects. But in this case, the project will really be beneficial to many.

Comment

Tell mi how it guh again suh mi nuh misrepresent..

Chiney ask fi our 'priority' project and den dem jump.. ?

Please confirm..

Comment

Never heard the HWY 2K framed as an election related matter...I don't recall even the JLP seriously making that claim... if they did please point to it

HWY 2k and the North coast hwy are long term, strategic additions to Jamaica's asset base. The JDIP is short term stimulus spending with an eye on gains in the next election... YOU have been sounding that particular trumpet for a while

I actually like infrastructure spending... what I don't like is the absolute neglect BOTH tribes display towards education which is far above further road spending in terms of long term ROI.

Comment

Now yuh deh pon di rite track

Chiney certainly don't come ah yard demanding to spend on road werk

Comment

Westman, I have not offered any "professional" nor "expert" advice on this road. Afterall, I am a mere scheduler. (Never mind that some of my schedules are cost and resource loaded, but that's another matter.) So, I am trying to see where this expert talk got into this conversation. Why the need to show me up, that I am not an expert in road construction as you are?!?

That's all I am saying.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Their project selection criteria is based on our priorities...

Interesting...

Yuh a real clown to rhatid...

Comment

This contentious project is actually a very strategic project. It is no different than the Old Harbout bypass and many others which were strategic. There are some places where travel time was reduced from a couple hours to minutes at key times of day and where traffic volumes and commerce increased significantly. This helped schools , banks, factories, tourism and many other things.

Comment

summady pass more pop-corn !

Comment

Working...
                                X