Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foreigners in Land of Our Birth

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    I WRITE to express my thoughts on the current customs policy regarding 'non-Jamaicans' taking gifts from overseas into [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Jamaica[/COLOR][/COLOR].
    I am a Jamaican living overseas and in January 2010 I visited home via the Norman Manley International [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Airport[/COLOR][/COLOR]. To my surprise, I was searched and charged for a few travel-size gifts that I had in my [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]suitcase[/COLOR][/COLOR]. When I asked why I was being charged J$4,000 for items for which I had paid the equivalent of J$1,275, I was told that foreigners were not allowed to take in any gifts.
    Although I had my receipts in my suitcase, the customs officer refused to look at them and assessed them independently. I am not for one minute blaming the customs officers as they act on instructions from their 'higher ups'. This is, however, a deterrent for Jamaicans who live overseas and hold a foreign passport to come to Jamaica.
    I am asking that since we are being classified as 'foreigners' the Ministry of Tourism look into the matter and advocate for changes. What if countries such as England, Canada and the United States were to reciprocate this policy? The tourism ministry sells Jamaica abroad and encourages people to buy Jamaican, so why are we Jamaicans who reside overseas being harassed by our own government?
    I am, etc.,
    Jacqueline Graham
    jhmg212@aol.com

how dem must know seh she a jamaican? ... what proof shi show dem?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

bag and pan. LOL
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X