Historian's Top 5 Greatest - Drummers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian's Top 5 Greatest - Drummers

Below: Section I (Jamaican drummers); Section II (Greatest of All Times)

Some of Jamaica’s superstar drummers, like the late, awesomely talented Carl Ayton (Bloodfire Posse) and the great Sparrow Martin (Alpha Boys School musical director), I have had the pleasure of meeting.

The list below is divided into two sections. Below, in Section I, are my all-time Top 5 Favorite Jamaican Drummers. They are not listed in terms of preference or greatness, but rather, alphabetically.

HISTORIAN’S TOP 5 GREATEST JAMAICAN DRUMMERS
    (listed alphabetically here)

Carl Ayton
    Carlton “Santa” Davis
    Desi Jones
    Lloyd Knibb
    Leroy “Horsemouth” Wallace

If my list extended beyond merely the top five greatest, then other fantastic drummers like Winston Grennan, Neville “Sparrow” Martin, Tony “Ruption” Williams, etc. would be among that extended top list.

HISTORIAN’S TOP 5 GREATEST DRUMMERS OF ALL TIMES
    (listed alphabetically here)

Billy Cobham
    Steve Gadd
    Jeff Porcaro
    Buddy Rich
    Tony Williams

How Sly nuh inna the top 5? you have something against him??

Sly is a very good drummer, Listen to his earlier non computerized work.
    You have something against the man? He is rated amongst the top 5 drummers in the world and his achievement is there to be counted. You can't call so many drummers and nuh mention Sly. you have a bias historian.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

for or against?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

uuummmmm..Max Roach.Elvin Jones.

Comment

Don't know who you will replace but in my opinion the top five has to include Winston Grennan. Also as Assassin says Sly deserves top 5 consideration as well.

Comment

Greatest 100 Drummers, what do you think - http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/page..._jazzdrum.html

Comment

Just listen Black Uhuru, D Brown "sitting and watching", Gwen Guthrie "Nothing but the Rent" , Tom Tom Club "Genius of Love", "Unmetered Taxi" "Murder she Wrote", Halfpint "Greetings" just to name a few and tell me you can get better Drumming. None of them innovative like Sly.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I can recall the Black Uhuru Anthem album right now. Sly and Robbie were great on that.

I think Sly also did some work with Cyndi Lauper.
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I think Sly played on "Girls wanna have fun".

Comment

ANTHEM ... what a wikkid chune sah?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Excellent Selections!

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
                      uuummmmm..Max Roach.Elvin Jones.
                      Can’t argue with you here, TDowl ! Max Roach and Elvin Jones are indeed perfect examples of superior drummers! There is no question that these two giants of jazz belong high on any list of “Greatest Drummers of All Times”!!

Comment

Yes indeed. Haul and pull it. . .
                        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

how can we forget that Grace Jones Album???

Pull up to the Bumper and My Jamaican Guy amongst others?

Comment

Working...
                          X