X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-faced Golding - illegal info is ok if it's not against

Gleaner EDITORIAL - Golding As Advocate For The Gleaner
    Published: Wednesday | June 1, 20110 Comments
    Whatever may be the gaps between his ideas and their execution, Prime Minister Bruce Golding is an eloquent speaker, with a sharp, analytical mind and the capacity to get to the kernel of issues.

Indeed, this newspaper, on many matters, would be willing and proud to have Mr Golding as its advocate, certain that he would grasp, and articulate with clarity, the issues that often confront media, such as tensions between when the public's right to know in support of democracy trumps conventions of privacy and the right of the State to maintain secrets.

In fact, in the current situation, in which Mr Golding has criticised The Gleaner for publishing stories based on leaked US diplomatic cables provided by WikiLeaks, we can think of no better champion of this newspaper's case than Mr Golding himself.

Here is Mr Golding's argument in our defence:

"I was accused of using information which I knew to be illegally obtained. You get information in all kinds of ways.

"When you get that information and that information tells you that something wrong has taken place, something that could corrupt the political process in this country, what do you do with it? What is this side saying?

"Let me make it clear that if information comes to me that I consider to be information that requires the public to be made aware in protection of my democracy, you coulda preach till you drop down, I going to be calling press conference after press conference!"

As much as it seems so, Prime Minister Golding was not really speaking in support of The Gleaner's decision to publish the WikiLeaks cables, which we did not purloin and which WikiLeaks would publish anyway.

Mr Golding, then the opposition leader, spoke those words in October 2006 in the House of Representatives, in support of a no-confidence motion that his party brought against the then People's National Party (PNP) government over the Trafigura scandal.

Trafigura Beheer is a Dutch company that traded oil on Jamaica's behalf. The organisation made what, ostensibly, was a donation of J$31 million to the PNP to support its annual conference the previous month. Mr Golding smelled kickbacks, or at least an inducement to the party for the Government to provide more contracts.

unseemly influence

The money was passed through an account at FirstCaribbean International Bank (FCIB) controlled by Mr Colin Campbell, who was, at the time, the general secretary of the PNP, as well as the information minister.

An employee of the bank - who, sadly, has since died - as well as FCIB, was sued by Mr Campbell for breach of confidence. The employee was accused not only of passing information about the account at her bank, but using her position to get information about an account Mr Campbell operated at another.

The case was eventually settled out of court, generously in Mr Campbell's favour.

Mr Golding was aware of the potential consequence of the leak to the bank, but insisted that a larger principle was at play: providing the public with information as part of a process which he deemed was in defence of Jamaica's democracy.

Mr Golding was, of course, right that Mr Campbell, as party and government official, couldn't at a whim shed one skin for the other.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

LoL

True. Cant have yuh cake and eat it too.

Dont see why he complains anyway, as wikileaks is in the public domain.

Comment

Mighty decent of you in these confusing times,it has everything to do with objectivity.
      The Gleaner has its ills,it will turn its back on good journalists when it deems them not fashionable(even the ones defending the newspaper),but Bruce picked the wrong newspaper to mess with.

Comment

That sharp analytical mind it is often claimed Golding has, is not so sharp or analytical. ...and as Prime Minister the proof is much too often on display.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Gleaner getting desperate.. comparing di Wiki-leaks dem ah publish with Trafigura...

lol !

Comment

Golding nuh realise a politics and same way them get out Seaga. When he was riding in him never realise? If you can't manage the heat then.... A so it go people always a go come after you and alway have their favorites.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

...and Bruce makes it easy. He says one thing and then says quite another when it suits him. That's what happens when you are a congenital liar, with no conviction towards anything but telling the next lie.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                ...and Bruce makes it easy. He says one thing and then says quite another when it suits him. That's what happens when you are a congenital liar, with no conviction towards anything but telling the next lie.
                suh Gelding shudda get convicted fi dem kina conviction?
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

straight! crook dat!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

He just irks you that is all.

Every tician from a garrison constituency is likely a murderer or accessory to murder, yet still no ones does nothing about it, except give them more national honours.

Sigh....

Comment

Working...
                    X