RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Historian...there's hope after all....!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Never Worried About American Kids

Originally posted by HL View Post
    On Sunday I went to the Atlanta Jazz Fest in Peidmont Park. It was fantastic!!

The opening acts were High School kids playing (big band) Count Basie/Duke Ellington style Jazz. The kids also played Jazz quartet and quintet arrangements. I was extremely impressed.

I was happy to know that there were lots kids with musical appreciation that transcends the irritating (2 cord) crap coming from Vybes Cartel et al.

Oh BTW: X would be impressed... even though Ska was not on the menu.
    HL, boss, the truth is that I am not in the least bit worried about American kids when it comes to music . Although we have the useless pop stuff like Lady Gaga, etc. and the seemingly never-ending hip-hop and rap stuff, the kids who study music actually study jazz or classical material. I’ve seen so many child prodigies in the USA who actually play great music!

Here’s a YouTube sample of what I mean when I say that I’m not worried about American kids and their music education. This videotape is from the 2000 Grammy Awards:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX3VDb4swYo

The ones I’m worried about are Jamaican kids. No wonder the state of our music is what it is (with a handful of exceptions) .[/font]

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      didn't know about it. Actually we were going to go Piedmont Park on sunday but went swimming instead. Had no idea they had a Jazz fest there.
      Come on Sass - get with the programme. Nuff cultural things to do in Hotlanta
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

I hope everyone watched your YouTube attachment.

Extremely poignant!! There's hope afterall!!
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Yes I have said it before, Jamaicans on a whole needs to get more involved in playing instruments.

Comment

See one here... Perry was a classmate at JC.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBu9v...eature=related
            Peter R

Comment

Nice & Mellow...never heard of him tho
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

See I never heard of this guy before, just as how there are musicians that I know who never got any big ups.

Cool and deadly.

Comment

Eugene Grey, at 12 he was playing Harmonica(Mouth Organ) for the Rusea's band Serenades(Festival winner) - http://www.eugenegrey.com/

file:///F:/Lucea/Eugene%20Grey.htm

Comment

Perry is my vintage... i.e. more aged than you but a JC man nonetheless. He was not known as a musician in school, he took up the guitar in his mid to late teens and eventually attended JA school of music. Looks like he has experienced some success with his music. If you can make a living doing what you love, what more can a man ask...
                    Peter R

Comment

I go to a few things that is kids friendly. As they get older we will be doing more.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                      X