• Show
Clear All

• New opposition spokesmen speak

New opposition spokesmen speak

Published: Friday | May 27, 2011

Dr Peter Phillips

Mark Golding

Ronald Thwaites

On Tuesday, Opposition Leader Portia Simpson Miller unveiled her new shadow Cabinet. The Gleaner sought comments from spokespersons who have been given new responsibilities.

Ronald Thwaites - Education
    Universal literacy, in as short a time as possible, a complete emphasis on early childhood education so that we can earn dividends on the higher levels of education, and a move to personal responsibility and adequate financing for tertiary education away from the institutional funding that we have at present. Try to bring long-term Jamaican funds into the pool of investing in tertiary education. An inspiring of the teaching profession and a recognition that this is the number-one priority for development in this country, bar none, number-one priority. I hope to contribute somewhat to those objectives.

Mark Golding - Justice
    The main areas of focus for me would be to try and improve the efficiency of the court system for persons who use it … . I would like to see the court system more supportive of the overall economic objectives of the country by being held in the high esteem through deliverable services that the users of the court reasonably expect and, thereby, encouraging investment in the country and allowing disputes to be settled fairly and expeditiously.
    On the criminal side of things, I would like to see the implementation of the recommendations that have already been developed through the Justice Reform Project that ended in 2007.

Dr Peter Phillips - Finance, Planning and the Public Service
    The issue that we face as a country is how to get growth, sustained growth, to provide the jobs that we need and the resources to restore our social services. We also need to look at the whole issue of the continued reforms of our financial systems and our tax reform arrangements, because, above all else, we need to ensure that we all understand as a country that we cannot borrow our way to prosperity. What we'll have to do is to find ways to generate the conditions for our people to be enterprising - small, medium, large - and even the micro elements, how to create the environment that encourages and facilitates enterprise, while at the same time, ensuring that we have equitable growth.

We are going to be providing vigorous critique of the Government, which quite frankly has not pursued an effective growth agenda … we will be, in a little while, proposing some of the things that we believe can stimulate growth in the way that we need.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X