X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A night of unbelievable terror

A night of unbelievable terror

Friday, May 27, 2011

Claudine Clarke, who describes herself as the proud (older) daughter of the late Keith Oxford Clarke, recounts the events of the night of May 27, 2010 when her father was shot dead in his Kirkland Heights home by members of the security forces.

Keith Clarke’s house in Kirkland Heights, St Andrew, where he was shot dead on May 27 last year by members of the security forces who were searching for then fugitive Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke.
    CLARKE… was a man of integrity with an almost fanatical respect for the law and good values

Keith Clarke’s house in Kirkland Heights, St Andrew, where he was shot dead on May 27 last year by members of the security forces who were searching for then fugitive Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke.

EARLY May 2010, days before what is now referred to as "the West Kingston incursion", I watched intently with the rest of Jamaica as the 'Dudus' saga unfolded.

It was not unlike reading a mystery thriller, with questions swirling in my mind pertaining to potential plot twists. What was going to happen next? What will ultimately happen to the main character? How would the other characters fare out?

I turned to a chapter called "Foolish Sacrifice". I watched women on TV pledging to die for Christopher Coke, constantly pondering if this was reality. Were people really willing to sacrifice themselves to protect one man? I remember hoping it would not come to that.

I read on to a chapter called "The Incursion". Admittedly it was almost a little intriguing. The scene was set for the usual 'good' versus 'evil' war scene. The so-called opponents of the state had previously mounted their pre-emptive strikes by setting symbols like a police station ablaze.

Like many Jamaicans at that point, I figured these persons had laid down the gauntlet for war. Dispassionately my belief was to stop "them" before they could kill "us". I watched the news reports about the actual "mission" by the police force and military. I had numerous BlackBerry conversations about it, spoke with friends and read Facebook postings; the usual reactions that an ordinary Jamaican my age would have.

I put down the book. My father came by my house to visit his granddaughter. He did the usual, made silly noises with her, commented on how big she was getting, spoke about how smart and great this 1-1/2-year-old was, hugged and kissed her. We turned on the

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1NZ69jRmK
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Him breddah seh all dung tuh di fowl in him yard was PNP.. how him couldah mix up wit Dudus...?

Comment

So sorry!

...from Bruce Golding and his collegues took the decision to protect Duddus...many tragedies where set in motion.

...this also points to one of the reasons I hate guns... If Mr. Clarke had no gun...had therefore not fired on the security forces, would he still be alive? Was there a split second when in the absence of Mr. Clarke having a gun in hand, decisions could be made where that would have preserved his life?

So sorry! I feel his daughter's pain.
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

bourgeois class

Yes this is tragic, but do we only get an article from the Observer when it comes to incidents relating to people from the bourgeois class? I did not see any articles about the ghetto youth Kentucky Kid and his demise at the hands of the security forces by the Observer. A good ting we have JFJ,youtube & Al Jazerra!
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

um.. but I thought this happened in the attempt to bring in Dudus ?

I am confused now..

Please explain...

Comment

"how would you feel if you wake up one morning and saw a big M-16 nozzle at at yuh Jaw.."

Comment

did the family members write an editorial? if they did and did not get it published then i am with you on that ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

write an editorial ? write ?

ergo JFJ...

Comment

I thought you of all people would be able to shed light on this tragedy, the likes of which must have played out on many individuals whose stories remain untold.
                  Peter R

Comment

it's taking over 1 year for ballistics tests to be completed. are we serious about solving crime? or is locking up and shooting young garrison youths good enough?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                    X