Anybody following the story of the Atl. preacher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody following the story of the Atl. preacher

who vacation in Ja and on his way back was caught with a bullet in his bag?

At first the News station here was trying to act as if it was a setup. The guy went hunting a few years ago and left a bullet in the bag which he said really use.

It got a lot of feature on the news, The pastor was fine 3000 US in Ja.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

American pastor to pay $250,000 for bullet found in luggage
    BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer
    Saturday, May 21, 2011

MONTEGO BAY, St James — A 26-year-old American pastor was on Thursday fined after admitting to having a .22 bullet in his luggage while attempting to leave the island earlier this week.
    Steven Carter — pastor of the Church at Southside in Athens, Georgia, in the southern United States — pleaded guilty to illegal possession of ammunition in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court.
    He was fined $250,000 or six months imprisonment by Acting Senior Resident Magistrate Carolin Tie.
    Carter, who wore a green T-shirt and shorts to court, and his wife were leaving the island on Monday after a brief holiday when the bullet was found in a hidden compartment in his suitcase. He was arrested and charged.
    In mitigation, defence attorney Martyn Thomas said Carter was not aware of the ammunition in the bag. Thomas told the court that his client had enjoyed hunting with his father and that the bag had been passed to him several years ago and had not used for at least three years.
    The attorney said his client and his wife had visited Jamaica to celebrate her birthday on May 12th.
    In handing down the sentence, RM Tie agreed that the ammunition could have been in the bag by accident, given that there was only a single shot.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...#ixzz1N0xoYARJ
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

thanks Sickko. It is big up here on the news. News team even went to airport to meet the man.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

So how did they miss the bullet when he was boarding in Atlanta if he's suggesting it was in his bag all along? That should worry the Atlanta airport people.I thought they checked all bags on departure... (I am assuming it was a carry-on). Kudos to the JA customs/security I would say, accidental or otherwise on the pastor's part...unless security frame him??
        Peter R

Comment

yeah they missed it in ATL. At first some news people here was framing it as setup and some conspiracy. Some people were nervous as he could get up to 7 years in jail. The Jamaican authorities need to get some credit for their overall handling of this situation in a professional manner.

Comment

Working...
          X