• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Franklin came close to being locked up - Judge

Franklin came close to being locked up - Judge

Published: Saturday | May 21, 2011 0 Comments

Franklin

SUPREME COURT Judge Donald McIntosh said yesterday that Senator Aundré Franklin came close to being locked up based on remarks he had made in court on Wednesday. He had told the judge he was offended by the manner in which the judge spoke to him and pointed out that on one occasion the judge told him to "leave, leave" the courtroom during an objection from one of the lawyers.
    The Senator said the judge did not say please and pointed out that it was only when he was going for lunch that the judge had said "please".
    Franklin had taken issue with the judge during his testimony when the judge commented on some of his answers under cross-examination.
    After he completed his evidence yesterday the judge asked him if he were still of the view that he was rude.
    Senator Franklin replied "I have put that behind me."
    "I am still asking if you think that on Wednesday morning I was rude to you," the Judge persisted and in response Senator Franklin said "no sir." The judge then pointed out that other people were in court and if he were rude they would have noted it.
    "I am not in the habit of locking up witnesses, I came close to it, but what is the point" the judge added.
    The judge explained that when a matter was being tried before a jury he tried as much as he could to let witnesses express themselves because he was not the one trying the case, it was the jurors who had to decide for themselves what they made of the witnesses . "So I will not lock you up even if you deserve it", the judge emphasised.
    "Thank you sir," Senator Franklin said.
    barbara.gayle@gleanerjm.com
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Franklin's plight - Senator admits being charged but did not attend court

Published: Saturday | May 21, 2011 0 Comments

Barbara Gayle, Staff Reporter GOVERNMENT SENATOR Aundré Franklin has admitted under cross-examination that when he was a teacher at the New Day All-Age and Junior High School he was charged with injuring the deceased Andre Thomas but he (Franklin) did not attend court.
    Questioned yesterday as to the reason he did not attend court, he said he was told not to go. He admitted that someone had bailed him and he was given a paper to attend court.
    Pressed further by defence lawyer Linton Walters, he said: "I think it was André's father who told me I did not have to go to court". He said he did not know what happened to the case.
    Senator Franklin said he was aware that if he had a conviction he could not be a Senator or a Parliamentary Secretary.
    It was first suggested to him that he was charged for breaking Thomas' hand but he said no, the hand had only a weal on it.
    He denied the suggestion that he came to court to tell lies on the policemen because he was beholden to Thomas for saving his political career.
    Senator Franklin was testifying at the trial of the four policemen who are accused of murdering 18-year-old Grants Pen resident André Thomas.
    On Wednesday, Senator Franklin testified in the Home Circuit Court that he saw Andre Thomas with both hands in the air and then heard gunshots. He said three policemen were around Thomas when he was shot. He said he knew Thomas for 10 years and used to be his teacher.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

The judge was out of order to attribute the sad state of affairs of Jamaica to Franklin and other politcians of the same mold,the seasoned judge also condescended when he wondered how Franklin performed as a school teacher when that was a matter of contention by one of the lawyers....
      The good judge should at least have clean hands to make any demands...

Comment

Working...
      X