Sly Dunbar
    Barrett(Wailers)
    Stewart(Third word)
    Dessi Jones
    Winston Grenning
    Lloyd Knibbs

This is not listed in order
    Anymore to add to this list?
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

grizzly nesbitt from steel pulse

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Thanks G.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Grennan

check this out, sometimes we don't realise what we have.

I use to watch this man play at a little small club in the 1990s and he would tell me a few things and ask me if I never heard of him. I then realised he contributed to Reggae. Sometimes we underated so many of our own..
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

'Horsemouth ' Wallace
        Trevor "Sparrow" Thompson(Now Generation band, now with Skatalites.
        'Tim" Nelson (Burning Spear band, and the Wailers band.

Comment

The drummer for Aswad, can't remember his name, and I think he is from the African continent. Deadly drummer.

Comment

Zeb Gayle is Aswad drummer

Comment

Some people say Willie Stewart was not very good but here are two names that you might never have heard of but they are among the most sought after drummers in Reggae.

Paul Kastic- he is the musical director Tarrus Riley now and used to lead bands for Maxi Priest and others.

Tony 'Ruption' Williams the present drummer for Third World

Both are from Montego bay and former members of the Montego Bay Boys Club that has produced some of the best musicians around right now
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

never seen them but thanks for the info Sickko. Will pay more attention to them. I personally think Willi was a good drummer.

Comment

Good Names!

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
                  Some people say Willie Stewart was not very good but here are two names that you might never have heard of but they are among the most sought after drummers in Reggae.

Paul Kastic- he is the musical director Tarrus Riley now and used to lead bands for Maxi Priest and others.

Tony 'Ruption' Williams the present drummer for Third World
                  Tony “Ruption” Williams is indeed an outstanding drummer. This guy is really good! And Tony, like you correctly said, replaced Willie Stewart when the latter left Third World.

I’m not sure if I agree with those who say Willie was “not very good.” He certainly never impacted the development of our music in the huge way that, for example Leroy “Horsemouth” Wallace or Lloyd Knibb did. In fact, Willie was nowhere in the same class of giants like “Horsemouth” Wallace, Lloyd Knibb or Tony Williams. However, Willie came with lots of experience, derived to a great extent from his years with groups such as Byron Lee and the Dragonaires, and polished during his early years with Third World.

I might post a list of outstanding Jamaican drummers (not just reggae) later.

Comment

Anyone familiar with Drummies William "Wilso" Dickson & The Play Boys was based in Mo Bay in the 60's or Ansel Malcolm.

Comment

A Lot of "Unknowns"

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']There are a lot more, although the term “greatest” makes things a little complicated. Some of the “unknowns” include drummers-turned-singers like Glen Washington who, like American Teddy Pendergrass, moved from behind the traps to the front of the stage.[/FONT]

Comment

Phil Collins as well
                        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

glenn frey too if i am not mistaken.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Not Sure Of Glenn Frey

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                            glenn frey too if i am not mistaken.
                            I never associated Glenn Frey with drums, though . I know him as a rhythm guitarist with the Eagles.

And talking about guitarists, remember “Hotel California”? (I’m referring here to the original version.) That beautiful extended dual guitar solo was played by two excellent lead guitarists who were members of the Eagles. I’m referring here to Don Felder and Joe Walsh.

Comment

sorry don henley madonna started her musical career as a drummer too. she was with a band called the breakfast club whose drummer stephen bray is a favourite of mine. btw i think randy jackson also played ssome bass for the breakfast club from time to time...

Comment

Working...
                              X