Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Becoming Grace Jones

http://www.stylelist.com/2011/05/19/.../?ncid=webmail

Was her father or uncle a high school teacher in Jamaica? Mi nuh memba right now.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Her grand father played in a big band.

Comment

Close

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
        Was her father or uncle a high school teacher in Jamaica? Mi nuh memba right now.
        I think her father was a preacher.

Comment

yes that is what i seem to recall ... and either himself or her mother was a school teacher/principal ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Yep, she is the daughter of a preacher man
            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
            - Langston Hughes

Comment

Dan Williams
              In May of 2007, I heard from Donovan Williams, one of four grandchildren of John "Dan" Williams. He recalls attending his farhers funeral after he died of a heart attack after completing a tour of the Caribbean with his band. Donovan surprised me by with the information that Dan Williams is the grandfather of disco singer, actor and model Grace Jones.

Comment

On these recordings, with Fly's backing band was often billed as the Dan Williams Orchestra. (This band does not appear to have recorded with any singer other than Fly.) These performances are high spirited, slick affairs. Fine vocals and jazz chops abound, featuring piano, several percussionists, bass and lead clarinet. We have a good idea of some of the musicians from Daniel Neely's excellent article, "Long Time Gal! Mento is Back!" in the December 2001 issue of The Beat magazine. In addition
                Jamaican recording pioneer
                Rupert Lyon (Lord Fly) and his sax
                courtesy of great grand niece
                Mish Kumar-Misir

to Fly on vocals and saxophone, there was:

Comment

Mento and Jazz
                  Page last revised: 3/12/11
                  Jazz and mento have enjoyed a long relationship, with recordings first appearing in the 1920s and continuing today. Jamaica produced not only a rich repertoire of folk/mento songs, but also a host of talented jazz musicians. It's not surprising that Jamaican jazz musicians would take these songs and perform them in jazz.

Comment

Born in Lucea, Jamaica in 1905 to a musical family, Lord Fly (Rupert Linly Lyon , called 'Pertie' by friends and family) has the distinction of the recording the first records for the first Jamaican label, MRS. As a child, Rupert played violin and organ, but by the time he was 25, he was playing saxophone professionally. His jazzy dance band mento sounds less and less like the Jamaican music that followed. But would have Jamaica produced other mento, ska, reggae, and dancehall records if not for the success of Fly's initial recordings? If for no other reason, Lord Fly is assured a place in the Jamaican music hall of fame.

Comment

Yes, her Dad was a preacher, she is from Spanish Town and the family is close to mine.

Her Unc was deputy principal at KC.

The Jones family is a big one and prominent in Spanish Town....though I think they are all gone from Span Town now.

Comment

Ok, I recall a relative was taught by her uncle at KC.
                        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                        X