PNPYO threatens to protest again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PNPYO threatens to protest again

The People’s National Party Youth Organisation (PNPYO) is threatening national protest if the government goes ahead with proposals to expand the number of items on which General Consumption Tax (GCT) is applied.

If the proposal contained in a green paper which has been tabled in parliament is agreed on, it could see GCT being applied to basic food items.

However, Acting President of the PNPYO, Junior Rose, says there is already a tremendous amount of pressure on Jamaicans and any increase in prices could drive many Jamaicans over the edge.

The PNPYO also says the proposed Customs Administration Fees and the Advance GCT at the ports will negatively impact the manufacturing industry.

The organisation says the two measures could result in cash flow problems and higher costs on imported raw material.

Rose says the PNPYO is calling for the government to refrain from implementing these measures, which he has described as oppressive.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Dem shouldah demonstrate when fi dem Govt ah raise lef, right an center. Man guh siddung an cool unnuh self. Eben GCT fi dem Govt raise if memory serve mi right, ah weh dem did deh dem time deh.

Comment

PNP introduced the GCT in about 1991.
      12.5% if memory serves me right.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
        PNP introduced the GCT in about 1991.
        12.5% if memory serves me right.

Unuh a waste time, in the green paper the proposal is to reduce GCT and increase the amount of items that attract GCT. I guess the PNPYO doing what they do best, prove that empty barrels make the most noise.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

So only rice, flour and saltfish poor people buy? So when them buy a basket of say 15 goods and pay 12% on it, don't they leave the shop better off than paying 17% on most goods and a few exempted?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
          X