Is He Jamaica’s Greatest Bass Player?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is He Jamaica’s Greatest Bass Player?

I suspect that no reader on this forum has ever heard of Jamaica’s Rohan Reid. This young man, in my opinion, is probably the greatest Jamaican bass guitarist ever.

I was privileged to know Rohan from he was a youngster growing up in Kingston. He first started his music career as a bass player with the Grace Thrillers somewhere around the tender age of 12. In the 1990s, Rohan, along with the great drummer Desi Jones, formed the outstanding rhythm section for the acclaimed jazz group at the regular Mutual Life jazz sessions.

Rohan later moved on to various gigs in the USA, including being the bass player in the Disney World house band. He now lives in New York, I believe.

Here is a YouTube link link for “Dry Weather Road,” one of his tracks from his album, “Rifle Road”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mZetoi4284

Aston "Family Man" Barrett
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Love the music!!!

Jamaica has so many unsung musical heroes. Eugene Gray, Richard Greene...et al.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

http://www.brianatkinson.com/

Comment

Unsung Musical Heroes

Originally posted by HL View Post
          Love the music!!!

Jamaica has so many unsung musical heroes. Eugene Gray, Richard Greene...et al.
          Thanks, HL boss. And you are definitely correct in your statement that “Jamaica has so many unsung musical heroes.” You are so correct with this statement!

By the way, I have always been a fan of Jamaican guitarist Eugene Grey. Here is one of my favorites, “Linstead Market”:
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrDLJ_XkRWo

You know, HL, one of my many regrets over the many years that I’ve been involved in music is the sorry state of music education in Jamaica. But, when I see how we have developed our homegrown world class track and field clubs (MVP and Racers) and the results, I feel that culture-rich Jamaica will eventually see it fit to introduce music education on a serious, major scale in every high school.

This is one of the dreams I’ve always had!

Comment

Nope

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
            Aston "Family Man" Barrett
            Most definitely not in the same class at all as bass players like Rohan Reid and Dwayne Livingstone!!

Comment

not know 'bout that, but there is an album out by marcus miller called " tutu revisted". he of a jamaican lineage and i've never heard a bass guitar played like that.
              “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

Eugene Grey, and to think he started out playing Mouth Organ with the Serenades, and in that band was Brian "Bones" Atkinson and Ike Bennett who went on to play with the Crystalites, can you imagine they back up Moccasin now Niney, and Earl "The Pope" Edrum.

Comment

I Agree With You!

Originally posted by Raggs View Post
                  not know 'bout that, but there is an album out by marcus miller called " tutu revisted". he of a jamaican lineage and i've never heard a bass guitar played like that.
                  I completely agree with you, Raggs!

Marcus Miller is indeed one of the great bass players on the planet, and he is in a different league than most bass players. He’s also a more technically developed and experienced bass player than Rohan Reid. I’ve always listened to and admired Marcus’ extraordinary playing.

Marcus is in the same class of other geniuses like Victor Wooten, Jeff Berlin, Stanley Clarke, John Patituci, and so on. In fact, I did not mention Marcus Miller only because I was focusing on the Jamaican-born players .

Comment

Rohan Reid is an excellent bass player.

Where would you guys rank Mikey Fletcher, LLoyd Parkes and Leroy Sibbles? Sibbles is also an excellent bass player but he is underrated because he is more known as a singer from Heptones fame and now doing it as solo artiste. However, he is (in my opinion) our best bass player...counting Rohan Reid.
                    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

What are his accomplishments, and your friendship with him is likely to have an impact on your views.
                      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Thanks, Farmah

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                        Rohan Reid is an excellent bass player.

Where would you guys rank Mikey Fletcher, LLoyd Parkes and Leroy Sibbles? Sibbles is also an excellent bass player but he is underrated because he is more known as a singer from Heptones fame and now doing it as solo artiste. However, he is (in my opinion) our best bass player...counting Rohan Reid.
                        Farmah, I’m glad you know Rohan Reid ! This guy Reid is simply brilliant, although there is another young Jamaican, Dwayne Livingstone, who is probably on the same level. I’ll post a YouTube link for Livingstone later.

Also, Mikey Fletcher is another superb, very knowledgeable bass player. I suspect that he was classically trained (guitar) when he was growing up in England, but I’m not sure. I’ve spoken to Mikey Fletcher on one or two occasions back in the 1980s when he was with Dean Fraser, but I never asked him. But I particularly admired Mikey’s work with Dean Fraser’s 809 Band. Mikey, of course, later went on to become Shaggy’s bass player.

Leroy Sibbles is one of the most important bass players as far as the development of Jamaica’s rock steady and reggae are concerned. However, as in the case of Lloyd Parkes, it’s hard to fathom Sibbles’ level of musical development and bass technique in that playing reggae and rock steady grooves pose no great amount of technical challenge and theoretical knowledge. More than anything else, the ability to create a steady, rhythmic groove and good musical taste are important in commercial music such as soul, reggae, rock steady, and so on.

(Nevertheless, bass players like Derrick Barnett of Sagittarius Band are also good soloists.)

Comment

I'll Let You Judge, Boss

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
                          What are his accomplishments, and your friendship with him is likely to have an impact on your views.
                          Hortical, I respect your questions, boss. However, Rohan Reid is a brilliant, technical highly developed jazz musician. Jamaicans like Rohan and the violin player Jon Williams are in a class by themselves. I haven’t kept touch with his work after he left Jamaica, except for the time he spent as a bass player with the Disney World band.

Here are two links featuring Rohan. Judge for yourself:
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aURfjmOfvhQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erM-p...eature=related

Comment

Mouth Organ
                            Is wha dat boss?
                            Anyway, I was telling my wife just the other day that they called the harmonica a mouth organ in Jamaica.
                            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I have been there before with most of these bassist but Dr. Paul is also a good bassy too.

Playing live these Reggae Bass player can actually work it more than on record.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X