No announcement yet.

Lloyd Knibbs Pased Away RIP Drummie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TDowl be carefull they dismiss it as Horn music...lol ...How can you take a man seriously when he says he recollects Byron Lee pulling more crowds than the Skatallites.

but we were known as an uptown band.........,Lyn said. And ska was known as "'ghetto music', as they called it"

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../ent/ent3.html
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I heard Byron got his break when Carlos Malcolm did not honor a gig(money problem I Believe).

I was dancing to big Band before the Dragons were around, matter of fact Barry Saddler was the baritone Sax man for Kitos band, which goes back to the 40's.

Here is a good read from the fore runner to Kito, Granville Edwards -http://groups.google.com/group/alt.obituaries/browse_thread/thread/166c53679fa2e65f/4517076479527098?hl=en

Comment

Just a minute

Originally posted by X View Post
        TDowl be carefull they dismiss it as Horn music...lol ...How can you take a man seriously when he says he recollects Byron Lee pulling more crowds than the Skatallites.

Lyn said. And ska was known as "'ghetto music', as they called it"

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../ent/ent3.html
        X, I’m deliberately allowing you to vent! Trust me o this: as a musician who has played ska numerous times in the past, and someone who is deeply immersed in jazz, there is a great deal that I could teach you about both ska and jazz, but what’s the point?

Nevertheless, I’ll say this one thing. I wasn’t guessing when I commented on Byron Lee and the Dragonaires’ popularity in Kingston when compared with the Skatalites. I don’t have my source with me at this moment, but my comment was based on a poll survey conducted in Kingston back in the early 1960s (if my memory is correct, around 1963). In that popularity survey, the Skatalites placed fifth behind groups like the Mighty Vikings.

My comments have absolutely nothing to do with ghetto origins or lifestyles (ganja smoking, etc.) or anything of the sort. I have absolutely no interest in whether a musician came from downtown or uptown! No interest whatsoever! Please understand that.

Comment

Thanks my friend , thats what its all about appreciating our own form of JAZZ !

SKA !

Its disturbing that some who call themselves Historians would dismiss it , while others and more accomplished Jazz musicains have embraced it as a part of thier own a genre , Dizzy, Shearing , Sarah Vaughn ! When the founding fathers rate themselves as just as accomplished as the greats in Jazz , some Historians are still trying to understand it.

In its purest form it is undeniable on par with JAZZ and in my opinion more popular , proof in the 1st , 2nd and 3 and 4 th waves, expect a 5th and 6th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxk-PmKWRt8

Ska a carry di swing.
          Last edited by Sir X; May 17, 2011, 09:45 AM.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

LOL....Yeah ...You actually read one of my articles and not quote me out of context.

Boss Vent ? ....lol you just have to xplain yuhself , and trust me you have alot to do.I gave you 2 or three articles ? with sources references.

Yours are pending from howlong.I will see this as another pending one.

Comment

Working...
            X