No announcement yet.

Google's cloud computer set to rain on Microsoft's parade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

its not new, google have said somethings around this that make one wonder what are they talking about. Keep in mind BPaS is the same for Microsoft. Everybody has cloud offering. the device in of itself is just an endpoint.
    Last edited by OJ; May 13, 2011, 02:53 PM.

Comment

not sure either both very un secure platforms. not ready for corp but very strong on the consumer side

Comment

Microsoft has cloud too. Just bought Skype.. Microsoft does not make pc that is a commodity. I believe it will come down to the ability of securing cloud services. If we look at what just happened to amazon and sony we will see the risks. While consumers will jump at this corporations will be Leary .

Comment

that was impossible for John Publik before cloud computing except in a closed loop intranet which by definition is not open or available to anyone on demand...in fact device agnostic access ito your personal data & apps is a fundamental part of the value proposition of the cloud model

Try unnastan the difference between a Model change and Technology change....there is no technology innovation here..but a different way of operating

... fram sintin nuh deh pon di JLP website...it look yuh lost

LOL
          Last edited by Don1; May 13, 2011, 03:25 PM.
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

For some applications and some corporations I agree no or not any time soon, but that may be like 10-25% of corporations. That still leaves a big market out there though.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Me? ..yes...why should I maintain independent servers and pay for an internal IT infrastructure ...dat haffi get farmed out to Amazon ar smaddy else

I would wager most of the new web related businesses farm out to data centers

Pretty common occurrence...no?

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Iman you make a nice point but when you reduce the equation it comes down to dumb terminal and mainframes. Why do I want to analyze a song, when it comes with the info built to be read my the software on my PC? When I just came in this country, you write your code then use dial up to access the mainframe to run and debug your code (it's the same you are doing with your song).

Did you know that PC changed the why progaming is done? Back in the days you had one guru who wrote the code and the whole corp had to build a shrine to him (this is why they could dress to owrk how they wanted) object oriented programming killed that. If you go back to having everything in the cloud it's the same way power will be concetrated in one hand (and you will passworsd such as God resurfacing). Hey I understand the hotmails and even backups (corporations will be very careful here) being in cloud but you are back to these building with many servers (hey mainfames or whatever) but I just like to run and store some stuff at my home at times. I'm no ludite but at the same time I'm not that big with smart phones and other gimmicks. I use a simple cell and try not to use it most times (only when I must).

Comment

thanks for breaking it down..

not a new technology by any means...just a new business model especially at the consumer level

all that bundled software to load on computers and gadgets to connect to the machine for different functions will wither away over time

some companies will sink and some swim

Comment

"some companies will sink and some swim" Oh yes I hope you did see the Sony excutives; all bowing in shame.

When the cloud gets penetrated everything will drop in one swoop. Music and emails in the cloud is one thing but corps' spreadhseet, memos and power points is another.

BTW until google can get their apps to the CEO's admin asst. MS office will stay locked in place. Let them keep thinking it's the IT dept. that chooses excel and word over wordperfect et al. At times you would surprised where power lies in these corporation.

and how will they dethrone outlook (main stay of admin asst)? ah well

Comment

You do realise that Outlook, word and the rest of Office are on thier way to the cloud too, right? You never hear bout Office 365? mek me help you out:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/offic...-software.aspx

Now if Office on the desktop was "locked in place" as you say, then why would MS do this?

And you do realise that many companies are putting thier customer data on Salesforce.com, and run thier payroll on sites like Paychex.com?
                      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yuh think is tiday MS ah toy wid going wid office in di cloud? The day the do they become vulnerable (the admin asst. can't protect them anymore because the IT director can talk talk about secrity to the CEO and how it's no better that chrome). MS will have both, 365 is to stay current "just in case".

Which corporations? small to mid. Usually anywhere thig guys go the little ones follow.

Comment

I have given you the definition of Cloud Computing.. your argument is not with me..

Cloud Computing is user agnostic.. it is not defined by who the user is or how access is obtained (internet, intranet..)

Yuh head tough is a shame..

Comment

See if you can get this to penetrate Don1 brain..

mi feel seh him stuck pon di messenger not the message..

Comment

yep...and the computer is an abacus with a screen...

In this current era cloud computing results in anyone, anywhere having access to a specific desktop with data & apps residing on the web...that's what's called a new paradigm...or a new model...changing the device centered model.

This is the new model that is unprecedented...the limited mainframe based intranets you refer to are just that...limited. They never caused access everywhere to personal data by anyone. The revolution is not in technology but in mass access to a specified, virtual desktop

No amount of posturing can contradict that.. but gwaan duh yuh ting ah yuh MO dat..
                              Last edited by Don1; May 13, 2011, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Right now a lot of company moving to email to Google and others as it involve less maintenance and it is just a budget line. You don't have to plan for server upgrade to run mailservers.

The only problem is whenever there is a big breach it is going to be NASTY. How can you gurantee that Google etc. will protect your personal data?
                                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                                X