• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unmarried Jamaican fathers to be registered

Unmarried Jamaican fathers to be registered
    Jamaica Observer
    Wednesday, May 04, 2011

CABINET has approved amendment of the Registration (Births and Deaths) Act of 1881, to provide for the registration of the names of unmarried fathers.
    The act also specifies that no child will be registered unless the father is named at the time of registration and that penalties be included for misrepresentation or refusal of the mother to name the father.
    Under the proposed amendments, if the mother is unable to declare the father’s name, she would have to provide the reason on the appropriate section of the relevant form.
    “In cases where the paternity of the child is disputed, provisions will be made for temporary registration and the issuing of a Provisional Birth Certificate pending an Order of the Court," said minister of information Daryl Vaz who announced the change at the regular post-Cabinet Press Briefing held today at Jamaica House.
    Vaz said the act, which was amended in 1980, widened the scope for registering the father of a child born out of wedlock by empowering the Registrar to include particulars relating to a person named as the father of the child in certain circumstances.

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...#ixzz1LQzhwUVX
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Bout damn time!
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Wuk fi Jerry Springer! LOL
      Peter R

Comment

True this is long overdue!
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Parts of this is rubbish. What if she don't know who is the father? What a woman call your name and send the birth certificate to your wife but you never 'knew her?' The father's name should only go on the certificate if she presents a marriage certificate or he presents his ID or there is a DNA test.
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Errr... I might have to pospone my next trip home. For a while anyway. LOL.

Comment

that happens ANYWAY and unmarried fathers or putative fathers get taken to court for child support...if that is the case with the birth certificate then they have a recourse as they would when they are taken to court for child support.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
                Parts of this is rubbish. What if she don't know who is the father? What a woman call your name and send the birth certificate to your wife but you never 'knew her?' The father's name should only go on the certificate if she presents a marriage certificate or he presents his ID or there is a DNA test.

Just looking for something to complain about Time? If there is a dispute about who the father is, the name won't be put on the certificate until tests are completed.
                "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

People pay child support in Jamaica? Jamaica needs an agreement where fathers who run away to America/England/Canada have their wages garnished and dollars can flow to dem yutes back home.
                  Last edited by Hortical; May 5, 2011, 11:20 AM.
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

whether they pay is another thing but the orders are made!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

we need fi copy the Mexicans on this. They actually garnish even the illegals in the US pay by taking out a reasonable amount based on income.

The government nah fi tax them hard but can you imagine what 50 dollars a month could do?
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Agreements exist between all of those countries to facilitate the court ordered payments. Ja court rulings have been enforced in the USA and vice versa.
                        "Jah Jah see dem a come, but I & I a Conqueror!"

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                          Just looking for something to complain about Time? If there is a dispute about who the father is, the name won't be put on the certificate until tests are completed.
                          I guess the experience in North America has no relevance in Jamaica. Lets see how long Jamaica will allow a man's name to go on a birth certificate without proof.
                          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Thanks, but I get the feeling many mothers are not going after the men overseas.

Comment

govt not aggressive enough. Too much whe have nuff gal inna government

Comment

Working...
                              X