Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the Jamaica Govt can raise 1.8 billion for education

Columns
    How the Gov't can raise $1.8 billion annually without taxing a single Jamaican
    ID: INTERACTIVE DIALOGUE
    DAVID MULLINGS
    Sunday, May 01, 2011

<A href="mailto:?subject="How the Gov" t can raise $1.8 billion annually without taxing single Jamaican?&body="Link:" http: www.jamaicaobserver.com columns How-the-Gov-t-can-raise--1-8-billion-annually-without-taxing-a-single-Jamaican_8725663 | Jamaican News Online - JamaicaObserver.com? a>

THE president-elect of Haiti, Michel Martelly, recently visited Miami to engage the sizeable Haitian Diaspora in the rebuilding and development of the country. My fellow board member, Marlon Hill, the representative for the Southeast USA on the Jamaican Diaspora Advisory Board, shared a Miami Herald article with all USA board members via e-mail that quoted President-elect Martelly sharing an idea that I believe can be applied to Jamaica very easily (read the article by going to http://bit.ly/jaremit.
    He proposed that a US$1 charge on every US$100 of remittance and a 5-cent levy on every minute of telephone calls would go into an education fund, raising a total of US$86 million per year. "The Diaspora will be able to send 860,000 kids to school for free and change their lives," was his reasoning.

Read more: <A style="COLOR: #003399" href="http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/columns/How-the-Gov-t-can-raise--1-8-billion-annually-without-taxing-a-single-Jamaican_8725663#ixzz1L6uCraRM">http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...#ixzz1L6uCraRM
    Last edited by Sir X; May 1, 2011, 10:38 AM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

See the comments:

Stephen Fox
    5/1/2011
    I certainly do not like the concept of the government acting like a toll gate waiting on the innocent remitter to pass bye. The Jamaican government needs to be finding ways to grow the economy rather than taxing hard working people to give to the unemployed. Again we need ideas that grow jobs in country so that the citizens are not forced to migrate. Once migrated we are treated like aliens.
    Wharf Dawg
    5/1/2011
    You have got to be kidding me..The various alumni associations are already doing a heck of a job funding schools in Jamaica. When I see politicians stop wasting money then we can revisit this idea... I am not sending any money to these two feet cats in Gordon House to squander on political game boards..

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...#ixzz1L796b3qX

Comment

Definetly taxation without representation.Did you read the column about commissions of enequiries in Jamaica.A waste the recommendations go ignored and the commisoners are all political party appointed.

Politics is killing Jamaica and its constitutionally set to do so , waiting for good men to do the right thing is like giving a key to a stranger for your house and telling him there is a million dollars in it , gaurd it.

Madness.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

But don't we use a small mandatory bite-off from the Lotto/Lottery to fund education? I see no problem with biting off a little piece off the remittance money too as long as it is being put to good use like education etc.
        "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

I see no problem with that either. And while we are at it. Use some tool or some tools to track parents who left their kids behind and not maintaining them and let them pay something fi the resources and development of their kids as well.

It is not that hard in today's internet world.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It's a worthy concept....and easy to implement whether the sender likes it or not... just need to sequester the funds for a single project with transparency & accountability

Have to say though that from my personal experience on another project I'm not sure that the proposer is as worthy
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

The big question is the IF GOJ can be trusted with the money. Not just at present, but for the future as well.

Mauritius shows us the value of investing in education though...

Comment

true dat

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Set up a commission ...lol...Response to willi.
                  Last edited by Sir X; May 1, 2011, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Set up an independent trust to manage it and staff it with impeachables local and diasporic. I will post a Mauritius article later.

Comment

Mauritius prosperity basis:

http://www.slate.com/id/2287534/?GT1=38001

Comment

Thanks for "Once migrated we are treated like aliens.
                        Wharf Dawg" ole Pirate business.

"When I see politicians stop wasting money then we can revisit this idea..." Sounds like voodoo economics.

"Again we need ideas that grow jobs in country" And for the Government to remove the road blocks that foster growth.

Can't believe Don 1(Dull uno), I guess too many battles with ben & sickko LOL.

Comment

Good post, boss.
                          Certainly relevant to our needs.
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What I would LOVE for the Government to get SERIOUS about, is having Student Loan delinquents repay their loan. Too many of them are not paying, SELFISH individuals. I'd say garnish their salary; and get treaties going with other countries where they reside so that they have to PAY.
                            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

look like yuh waan mi add yuh tuh di bakkle list
                              Last edited by Don1; May 2, 2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X