X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump, you are FIRED

Obama releases 'long form' birth certificate

Continue reading the main story Related Stories

The White House has released President Barack Obama's birth certificate, in response to persistent rumours he was not born in the US.
    Mr Obama had previously released an official "certification of live birth" showing he was born in Hawaii.
    But fringe "birther" theorists have insisted Mr Obama was actually born in his father's native Kenya, making him ineligible to be president.
    Recently potential Republican candidate Donald Trump has revived the rumour.
    Continue reading the main story Analysis

Mark Mardell BBC North America editor
    The White House clearly felt they had to lay this matter to rest. And they were almost certainly right.
    I was out of town when the story broke and rushed to find a diner with a TV to watch what the president said. As I talked to people afterwards, it was very clear many had doubts about the president's birth certificate and wondered why something hadn't been said more clearly much earlier.
    Something else was also very clear: They agreed with the president that this was a distraction and nearly everyone, unprompted, mentioned the price of petrol as their overwhelming concern.

On Wednesday, Mr Obama described the unprecedented move as an effort to rid the US political debate of a distraction, saying he had watched, puzzled and bemused, as the birther conspiracy had built and developed over the past years.
    "We do not have time for this kind of silliness," Mr Obama said. "We have better stuff to do. I have better stuff to do. We have problems we have to solve but we're going to have to focus on them, not on this."
    The release of Mr Obama's long form birth certificate, which had been stored in a vault in Hawaii since his birth in August 1961, comes after years of speculation among conspiracy-minded conservatives.
    Republicans push back
    The birther conspiracy held that Mr Obama was born in Kenya or in Indonesia, where he lived as a child, or that the birth certificate revealed other unwholesome information about the president.
    During the 2008 presidential campaign Mr Obama released a computer print-out of the birth certificate information that is recognised as an official record of his birth, and Hawaiian public health officials vouched for its authenticity.
    But the move did little to quell the birthers, even as most mainstream Republicans have sought to quash the movement, calling it a distraction from substantive policy disagreements.
    On Wednesday, the White House released copies of the original birth certificate, with a stamp indicating it was received from Hawaiian officials on Monday.
    It shows Barack Hussein Obama II was born 4 August 1961 at Kapiolani Maternity and Gynecological Hospital in Honolulu, to Barack Hussein Obama, a 25-year-old student, and Stanley Ann Dunham, 18, and includes the signature of the attending physician
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Cho me vex! I was enjoying the entertainment and the stupidity. I wanted it to drag out a few more months. maybe get a conspiracy documentary released or something.

Anyway, Trump has moved on to his Harvard credentials now, so hopefully we will get a good run from this one too.

And BTW if anyone really expects birthers to believe this document is authentic, they are delusional. If someone wants to believe something there is nothing you can do to change that.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yeah, Obama should not have bowed to pressure for another release of his birth papers. The circus was getting interesting...
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

they will not believe it but as for many others if something is in the media everyday they eventually begin to wonder if is true.

i think he did the right thing at the right time to make Trump and others who claim they are mainstream look foolish.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If you repeat a lie many times, there are some who will eventually believe the lie. A reasonable sistren the other day ask me what if Obama was not really born in America!
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

What if he was really not born in America?

Then maybe Americans would realise the idiocy in such a law!

Look on how they have denied themselves a wonderful president in Arnold Schwarzenegger!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mdyadwl

Comment

You can "govern", but not "preside" he hey
                Peter R

Comment

Working...
                X