Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Horns are KEY! Ask Tan Tan.

Comment

Glad to know the diaspora in the movement to keep it alive,special mention to the slackers,ny jazzska ensemble,dancing mood. The hepcats etc
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Incorrect Viewpoint

Originally posted by X View Post
        Its an english band , that exploiting the ska market ,i meant Jazz....aaah sah meanwhile we still a hype Air Jamaica Jazz blues festival..from argentinia, japan, spain to the U.K ...Ska has a bigger market than ameriacn Jazz.

Unnuh tan deh .... met a young caucasian MD said he was into ska , said he is the original rude boy from the bronx..lol
        I just saw this post. I will make some comments more fully in a separate thread tomorrow.

However, let me state, for the time being, that you are incorrect in your view that ska has a bigger market than American jazz.

Even more inaccurate (and surprising) is the suggestion that ska is comparable to jazz. I love ska very much, but there is very little similarity between ska (a simple genre with a powerful rhythm) and jazz, which is probably the most complex, creative and challenging genre developed in the past century.

Comment

Ready for it , you are the guy that said the rasta influence on reggae is neglible if not for bob marley and you are writing a book ?

Please make reference to Ska influence on the NY Jazz club scene in your rebuttal.

Did you also say Byron lee played an influence on ska.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

X...leave it alone. Both are separate genre.

Ska influence on the NY Jazz club scene is like Reggae influence on the NY Blues scene.

Ever been to BB Kings (Blues) Club to listen to Reggae? Same ting.
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Okay, Boss

Originally posted by X View Post
              Ready for it , you are the guy that said the rasta influence on reggae is neglible if not for bob marley and you are writing a book ?

Please make reference to Ska influence on the NY Jazz club scene in your rebuttal.

Did you also say Byron lee played an influence on ska.
              X, I’ll make my post tomorrow when I have a bit more free time.

But you are mistaken in saying that I said the rasta influence on reggae is negligible!! I did not say it is negligible, because that would be a grossly inaccurate statement! I probably said that it is overrated, and if that is what I said, I still stand by that statement! Many of the premier movers of reggae, rock steady and ska were not practicing Rastafarians, and this is easy to prove.

But to say “negligible”? No, as the influence of people like Count Ossie and others is very important.

I’m not sure if I said Byron Lee played an influence on ska, because he didn’t. What I do know, and this is a fact, is that Byron Lee and the Dragonaires could pull a larger crowd at any major Kingston gathering than the rather indisciplined Skatalites could during the short period of the Skatalites’ existence.

By the way, the NY jazz club scene is a miniscule part of the jazz movement!!

Comment

1st and foremost stop ,the obvious isnt a point,i think i heard that somewhere before...different genre and ?

Which has more influence ? i have given you video sources published articles etc as proof to back up my reasoning, california has a bigger ska scene than ny and if we want to touch on genre ,you have different genres of ska the 1st wave ,2nd and 3rd .I am referring to the 3rd/4th wave which is basicaly a revival of the 1st wave that stormed england in the 50s and 60s but in this case it stormed california in its purist instrumental form.

That my friend is on instrumental par with jazz some would say greater.

Dont insult the NYSKA JAZZ scene these guys put out records that keep our music alive and i am not talking reissued old ska records.

I am waiting for the debate to share the little knowledge i have found. about the influence jamaicas ska has on jazz....it come full circle...well instrumental music.

Comment

The NY jazz club scene is a miniscule part of the jazz movement!! So what is the biggest part of the movement ? I find that hard to believe when NY is one of the majour financial and artistic sources in the world.

Maybe Ska is the biggest part of the Jazz movement.NY times article 1995, have you ever head of Moon Ska records?

The Sound Of New York: Ska. Ska? Yes, Ska.

Where most rock bands get by with three or four members, ska bands may have as many as a dozen. In addition to guitars, bass and drums, they often have an entire horn section. These groups sometimes find older players from the jazz or Latin music worlds; other times they recruit young people who have just graduated from their high school jazz band. Either way, it makes for eclectic music. At 11 members, the Slackers are among the more diverse and unpredictable bands in New York.
                  There are many different styles of ska being played today, but the main schism is between the bands that try to blend it with punk and hardcore music and the traditionalists who look back to Jamaica for a purer sound.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...0&pagewanted=2

Comment

Let me clarify a point about Ska and Jazz its not that one is better or worse because I am sure you can find better and worse in both compositions.My position is SKA is on par with Jazz in terms of composition and doing better than it , in terms of financial profitability.Ska and Jazz comingle in a professional enviroment of instruemental music.To the point where most musicians who ply their trade in it cross over to anything that has instrumental arrangement including Jamaican DUB MUSIC !

When you hear a band in NY saying they play ska , expect to hear , Jazz and reggae in a instruemental form, all forms of reggae , jazz and ska.Its monetarily viable to present that range to an audience.Same thing in california and I would expect europe.

I dont see Jazz musicains surving on thier own , maybe in Jamaica with the Jamaica Jazz Blues B.S which incidentally promotes Soul singers.

I see this denial by some as an extension of what the skatallites went through in the 50 to 60 where they were looked down upon because of the enviroment which they came from.Some of us just cannot accept the fact that out founding musicians were blessed with such talent .Don Cosmic i.e Don Di Lion Drummond, Ronald the Chief Musicain Alplonso and Skavoovie Mcckook.

Gi di man dem Credit !
                    Last edited by Sir X; May 4, 2011, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X