Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.L Ska rehashed and sold as Jamaica Jazz or Skazz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxk-P...eature=related

Its an english band , that exploiting the ska market ,i meant Jazz....aaah sah meanwhile we still a hype Air Jamaica Jazz blues festival..from argentinia, japan, spain to the U.K ...Ska has a bigger market than ameriacn Jazz.

Unnuh tan deh .... met a young caucasian MD said he was into ska , said he is the original rude boy from the bronx..lol
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Wha yuh say H.L its not comparable to Jazz tell dem dat ...lol

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Jazz Jamaica

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jazz Jamaica
      Performing at the Summer Sundae festival, 2007Background informationOriginLondon, United KingdomGenresSka jazz, ReggaeYears active1991–presentLabelsHannibal
      DuneAssociated actsSoweto Kinch, Rico Rodriguez, Andy Sheppard, Jazz WarriorsJazz Jamaica is a jazz/reggae music group formed by musician Gary Crosby in London.
      [edit]History

In 1991, inspired by the rhythms of traditional Jamaican music and the largely improvisational nature of jazz, original Jazz Warrior, jazz double bassist, and nephew of veteran Jamaican guitarist Ernest Ranglin,[1] Gary Crosby conceived a fusion of mento, ska, reggae and jazz styles in playing classic and modern jazz standards alongside Jamaican folksongs. To achieve this, he gathered together a group of musicians drawn from the jazz and reggae circuits, to form Jazz Jamaica.
      Since its realisation, Crosby developed the Jazz Jamaica concept by introducing more young jazz musicians, so increasing the size of the pool of 'Jazz Jamaicans', and enabling him to extend the boundaries of the music played. Crosby and his musicians are exponents of this musical fusion known as skazz, which has earned global appreciation.
      In March 1999, Crosby expanded the core lineup of Jazz Jamaica to formal big band status by adding a number of guest soloists including Denys Baptiste, Andy Sheppard, Soweto Kinch, Juliet Roberts, Orphy Robinson, Guy Barker, Kevin Robinson, Ashley Slater, Annie Whitehead, and Alex Wilson, resulting in the Jazz Jamaica All Stars, a 20-piece band featuring featuring vocals, five saxophones, four trumpets, and four trombones with a rhythm section of double bass, piano, drums, guitar and percussion.[2]
      In 2002, Jazz Jamaica won the best band award at the BBC Jazz Awards.[3]
      In 2004, Jazz Jamaica collaborated with Hugh Masakela, and a choir of young people for a performance at the Barbican Centre as part of theCity of London Festival marking South Africa’s 10th anniversary of democracy.[4]
      In 2005, they released Motorcity Roots, an album of reworked Motown songs, and toured the UK and Europe in support.[5][6]
      Jazz Jamaica were described by The Independent as "one of the UK's leading "good-time" bands".[7]
      [edit]Albums
      • Skaravan (1993) Skazz, reissued (1996) Hannibal
      • Double Barrel (2002) Hannibal
      • Massive (2004) Dune
      • Motorcity Roots (2005) Du

Comment

X, as far as I can 'hear'... Jazz and Ska are different genre. Not gwine say this to you again.

That Jazz carry a following is very true.

In 1992, two friends and I had a promotion in Karl's old neighborhood on Long Island at Brentwood Theatre.

The show featured the original Skatalites with Tommy McCook, Roland Alphonso and the original double bass player (forget his name).

Oh and I also got to meet Larry McDonald that night. Had to rush him to the train station to catch the NYC train.

The place was packed with teenagers and others who did not look like us. (Reference the audience in your Youtube attachment).

But apart from the english taking advantage of the Ska genre X, the Japanese are in on the act. Can you imagin how surprise I was when i was in Central Park NY, and saw a 100% Japanese band belting out some wicked ska. Some of it their own work.

I doubt that Ska has a bigger share of the market...compared to Jazz.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I agree with you a 100% about different genre , ska by itself has spun of genres , 1st , 2nd and 3rd waves not to mention Rocksteady and Reggae.

But in terms of instrumental composition it is on par with Jazz! we might disagree because of the short popular life it had in the musical world in Jamaica .

The fact that this genre has found a home in Argentinia, Japan and other places around the world is testament to the power of the instruemental side of ska.

I have yet to hear niche followings of Jazz in Japan ,Central(Mexico) and S America(Argentinia) like Ska.

While its expected that Jazz should have its niche in America and where it has strong popular influence , Europe and I am ashamed to say Jamaica where america popular culture is worshipped.

Jamaicans continue to write it off as an afterthought in our musical culture and this is my gripe , knowing how significant a role it played and continues to play in our musical culture ,in terms of representing where our music came from and how far it has spread.

Fact is we can do more to honour this great music and the muscians that played a role.Truly sad when forgeiners from Argentinia, Spain or Japan to Mexico play more respect to our foundation than us.

Back to NY most Jazz clubs are acknowledging ska , as they are billed as Ska/Jazz occasions.If NY is anything like Europe in terms of the Jazz culture then Ska is alive and kicking.

Air Jamaica Jazz/blues festival mi say in Jamaica and Jazz/Ska nights in NY !

Comment

Check di Influence from Argentinia, you think Air Jamaica Blues Jazz festival can ram dance like this ? or any Jazz concert.Skattalites sell out Madrid stadium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1XYT...eature=related

Comment

When we learn to appreciate our own before others, we would have reached....

Comment

Dancehall tek over...ska and rocksteady are passe... but as you say others seem to appreciate what we have "discarded"... ska bands of the 80s like the Specials and Madness come to mind.. mixed with punk but based on Ska... never heard of Skazz before but I like the horns which is missing from nowadays reggae and dancehall.
                Peter R

Comment

PR... my two friends and I also promoted Burning Spear at the same venue...Brentwood Theatre Long Island. Spear was then celebrating his 25th anniversary as an entertainer. (Think it was in '91 or '92).

After we signed the contarct--we chatted a bit.

Burning Spear made the exact comment (you made) about horns missing from now-a-days reggae. Quite poignant PR!!.
                  The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Brass to rath...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOhBOdxO6Hg
                    Peter R

Comment

Interesting interview Tommy felt slighted that Byron Lee represented Jamaica at the Worlds fair in the 60s ,called them a calypso band and they were overlooked because they (skatallities) represented the ghetto and burnt a little weed....you could argue it continues today..a member of Byron Lee band said the same thing they were an uptown band that played Jazz and got infected by ska on a venture downtown...aaah Jamaica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVrPNUYo6tM

Comment

The chief muscian roland alphonso and Mr Skavovee Tommy Mccook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYN07...eature=related

Comment

Roland Alphanso run saxophone business, ebry time

Comment

Mine yuhself! The trumpeter is a family friends -alpha boys home graduate.

He played with Bobby Fame and the Blue flames, Aswad, Boney M, the Beatles, etc. (I know for sure as I have seen the royalty checks). Played at the Royal Albert Hall and ting. Jazz Jamaica are diaspora Jammies.

They are not one dimensional.

Comment

Jazz Jamaica is Huge in Japan. Eddie P-Port full up japanese stamp.

Comment

Working...
                              X