• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brave move or foolish investment

Business
    New local player enters call centre outsourcing market
    BY PAUL A REID Observer Writer
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011

MONTEGO BAY, St James — A new, admittedly much smaller than usual, player has entered the Jamaican outsourcing market and while they have just one client currently, there are plans for serious growth in the near future.

SynchroSource Offshore Solutions (SOS), which started operations late last year, was officially launched in Montego Bay recently at its cosy offices on Fort Street, just off the busy downtown area.

In this April 14, 2011, Debra Fraser, managing director of SynchroSource Offshore Solutions, is seen at the newly opened call centre based in Montego Bay at their offices of Fort Street. (Photo: Paul Reid)

SynchroSource is now taking inbound order entry calls for Pizza-Pizza, the largest pizza restaurant in Canada with over 700 locations nationwide.

Omar Massey, the call centre manager said at the launch "Until recently these calls were managed by agents in Canada," and added that presently they were working "Thursdays to Sundays in the afternoon, starting at 4:00 pm"

At present, SynchroSource has seven staff members and 15 workstations, but there are plans according to founder and Managing Director Debra Fraser to acquire additional space to accommodate a workforce they hope to grow to 75 by the end of the year.

Massey, who worked with Fraser at another outsourcing centre with head offices overseas, reported that their "client is impressed with the rate we have learned their system and the quality of calls" and said the scope for growth was tremendous as in a few months they would be taking calls seven days a week and working up to 14 hours a day.

The culture at SynchroSource Massey said was one that "acknowledge and reward hard work, commitment and dedication to the vision of the company" and said the "Highly trained staff (had a) lot of call centre experience," and was "humorous and lively bunch and proficient in their job."

Fraser who was born in Canada to Jamaican parents and who has lived here for more than 10 years said the idea behind the company was to make it easier for overseas companies "who are coming to the Caribbean offshore market to operate contact centres, to do so seamlessly and with minimal investment risk."

With the investment group made up of entirely Canadians at this time, she said the idea was to "Target Canada business and the many opportunities for us to provide remote teams or remote services for Canadian businesses and it is our intention to do so successfully in the days to come."

She also spoke about the synergies of having a Canadian investment group and going after companies from the North American country.

The name of the company she explained came out of the basic role of the company, which was to assist to synchronise and outsource work for the overseas companies, "By them coming here to use our offices and equipment, our supervisory team, our managers and our people we can make it very easy for them to synchronise their efforts in Jamaica."

Inter-net technology Fraser said had caused the world to "become a very, very flat place, and a company that wishes to build a customer service or sales team of say 10 telephone agents or anywhere between five and 10, they can recruit from anywhere in the world and companies are taking advantage of that because if they don't, their competitors will and if their competitors do, they have to follow suit".

This she said has led to "A mad rush to build remote offices all over the globe where they can find staff who can do the work and do it more efficiently so their costs are lower and that's basically what is under girding this fast growing business of off-sourcing".

It is not easy she said due to the cost of setting up the business as well as "Tapping into those markets can be a very difficult and risky task".

The experience of having worked with overseas-based companies that have tried to set up offices here she said "it is full of risks and potholes and that is where the idea of SynchroSource came from, how can we make it much easier for them to come here and find the staff they want to get operational very quickly without having to overspend or make mistakes and just to learn the environment which takes a lot of time so we are here to help them to do so".

The aims of SynchroSource are three fold she said, "Creating quality jobs locally, provide value to customers and to do so in a profitable manner."

Creating quality jobs is what "drives our business — key performance measures -- how many jobs we can create," she went on to explain and said unless the job provided "both learning and rewards in an encouraging environment — if you lose hold of any three, it's not really a good job."

Fraser said both herself and Massey had been offered jobs in other companies since leaving their former employers but "we passed them on as we did not think they were good for the community or the environment".

SynchroSource has also partnered with the Montego Bay based Youth Enhancement Services (YES) programme and according to Massey "will be offering work experience to grads on a regular basis, the goal is to provide jobs to young people who have taken the initiative to become trained in customer service and at the completion of that we hope to employ some of them".

Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...#ixzz1K4F3LrDd
    Last edited by Karl; April 25, 2011, 12:41 PM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Thought I would have heard from the bright bussiness/investment minds here already, I have lots of questions about the move but waiting..
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Brave move, and good investment. Nothing venture nothing gain they say!
      When I took my plunge about three years ago most of my colleagues thought I was crazy, and asked why I would walk away from the relative safety of a solid job to risk my own savings in the corporate jungle. So far I have been blessed but the bottom line is if one doesn't buy the lotto he will never win....well unless he finds the winning ticket on the ground.

Hats off to Fraser & Massey!
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
        Brave move, and good investment. Nothing venture nothing gain they say!
        When I took my plunge about three years ago most of my colleagues thought I was crazy, and asked why I would walk away from the relative safety of a solid job to risk my own savings in the corporate jungle. So far I have been blessed but the bottom line is if one doesn't buy the lotto he will never win....well unless he finds the winning ticket on the ground.

Hats off to Fraser & Massey!

Congrats! So yuh have a job for me? What State are you in
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

I salute this woman, she is carving out her own niche. On has to take risk in order to succeed at something.

My cousin operates Apache Cafe in Atlanta, and when she decided to quit her corporate job and plunge full time into her business, she was greatly discouraged. ..And today the Cafe is the place to be if you're downtown Atlanta.
          - Langston Hughes

Comment

This is a market that the Indians, Philippanos and others have taken advantage.

I have spoken about this opportunity for Jamaica with other business people (off this site).

Jamaicans (with some education) know how to twang much better than Indians and Philippanos.

If you call for technical help from AT&T, Dish network, Verizon, ETrade and lots of other large corporations--chances are you will be speaking with someone from one of the above counties.

Very good forward thinking move in my opinion.

Oh, and Farmah never know you were in business for yourself. Much congrats!! This is my 6th year in business, looking to expand... (I have 5 employees)...and all's well!
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Always good to try venture MdmeX. The keys in my opinion are:
              . Know the business (u r interested in)
              . Do some research
              . Find the right location
              . Select your staff wisely
              . Be fair and honest with staff and customers
              . Spend time to keep up with new happenings
              . Love God
              . Live good
              . Spend wisely
              . Work diligently
              . Help others (the blessings are remarkable)

btw: I'm in FL
              "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Yes mi Lab Parrdna, I decided to take my skills into my own venture. All is well and blossoming so far in my 3rd year.

Give Thanks Bredrin.

Comment

@ HL,

Be sure to take the Secretary to Apache Cafe

http://www.apachecafe.info/
                  - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                    Always good to try venture MdmeX. The keys in my opinion are:
                    . Know the business (u r interested in)
                    . Do some research
                    . Find the right location
                    . Select your staff wisely
                    . Be fair and honest with staff and customers
                    . Spend time to keep up with new happenings
                    . Love God
                    . Live good
                    . Spend wisely
                    . Work diligently
                    . Help others (the blessings are remarkable)

btw: I'm in FL

Congrats again bredrin!
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

I have alot of info about this that I did not or could not go into for the article but I know the government for example and banks have a lot of money to lend for this type of business but they could not get a dime to borrow and so ALL the equity came from family and friends and savings.

Both Fraser and Massey worked for a similar company Salary.com, based in the US with lots of money but did not last very long here and more than a few of this type of companies came here and fled.

They only have one client now and how long can they go on if they dont get at least one more?

Lots of questions but as they say no risk no gain.
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

Why did I think you were in Massachusetts?
                        Peter R

Comment

i would imagine that they di not just rush out to do it, that they did some research.

jamaica is not an easy place to start a new business and you have to be prepared to put in more than your 10K hours.

case in point MVP track club .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Wow. Brilliant!!

Will certainly check it out.

Thanks MdMex
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Good advice!

Comment

Working...
                              X