Serious heat on Barbados!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serious heat on Barbados!

Rape victim and former British actress Hilary Heath has accused the Royal Barbados Police Force of failing to warn the public about the threat a serial rapist posed to the country back in 2004.

Link to story: http://bit.ly/gJ2Buz

Heath told Britain’s Sunday Times that Barbadian police seemed more interested in protecting the country’s tourism reputation.

In the report, also carried yesterday in Britain’s Daily Mail, Heath said she and two other victims complained formally about the police investigation.

She said she had to beg for DNA swabs to be taken when she went to the hospital and that police officers failed to seize “vital evidence”.

She said the name of the attacker, Venslow Small, was also given to police by colleagues at Verdun House. Heath worked there as an intern.

She recounted that on the night in April she was roused from sleep by a masked man who jumped on her back, put a knife to her throat and covered her mouth with his hand.

He stole items from her safe and purse, and then raped her. She also suffered broken bones in her back and heel after a 20-foot jump from her room to escape her attacker.

Heath, who waived her right to anonymity, said she was raped 48 hours after her attacker had raped another British visitor. She suggested she would not have been raped if the police had investigated that attack. She said the police placed locals and tourists alike in jeopardy by refusing to issue proper warnings.

Small, of Wellington Street, The City, was arrested in the Heath matter and other offences.

He pleaded guilty to six rape charges and three counts of burglary and in December 2005 was sentenced to 30 years for raping Heath. He was given 25 years for each of the other rape charges and 15 years on each burglary conviction. The sentences were all concurrent.

Yesterday police public relations officer Inspector David Welch said the force was aware of Heath’s accusations but the High Commissioner in London Tony Arthur was making representation there on behalf of the Barbados Government, and the force did not want to pre-empt that official response.

Information consultant with the Ministry of Tourism, Hugh Foster, echoed the same comment.

Like · Comment · ShareCarla Ledgister, June Ann Campbell and Mary Jackson like this.

Andrew Joel Jackson well now.
    April 4 at 6:53am

Debbie Douglas barbados have a serious problem them a get it left right and center
    April 4 at 6:53am · 1 person

Owen Rounere Burton More evidence of their neglegence.
    April 4 at 6:55am · 2 people

Josh Robb dem complain seh jamaican woman ah tief dem man.....not even dem man wah dem....dem ah rape tourists
    April 4 at 6:55am · 20 people

Becky S-d same ******** dem want to keep up wid we...cover and deny...they need to find myrie's finger rapist!...mi sorry bout wat happen to those ladies and mi hope all a bardabos dark secrets on foreigners cum to light...full time now
    April 4 at 6:57am · 1 person

Kian Flo-Rida Estell Deslandes Tap dem Bajan official deh a perv from long time...a dem a gwaan like dem innocent....likkle perverts...!
    April 4 at 7:02am

Akili A Mcknight Barbados, it seems under the carpet full and running over from all the "dirt" swept under there! For years uno "style" jamaica about how wi police and pple corrupt, and all this time yall was using cake soap to "bleach out" di situation! Its time d world c uno true colour!
    April 4 at 7:08am · 6 people

Brendon Jackie Shaw POT AH CUSS KETTLE.
    April 4 at 7:10am

Cecile Lee-Gelb I think this is too much dirt to be swept under the carpet now... Especially when its not Jamaican women being abused...
    April 4 at 7:10am

Jodiene Cathnott I am just disgusted...seriously ...sickening man
    April 4 at 7:20am

Omar Wongsam ******** start hit di fan!! A bare a dem ...ery ya gwaan ova bargaydos! An den even di government a cover it up! Oh!
    April 4 at 7:21am · 1 person

Shauna Grant Sue them! Sue the government! Sue all who can be sued! This is gross endangerment
    and a criminal offence if reasonable action was not taken knowing the circumstances. This comes as no surprise that Barbados would do something like this! Sha...See More
    April 4 at 7:27am

Paul Mc oke then another accusation on barbados gov....look into it
    April 4 at 7:31am

Shellene Smith oh wow, this is interesting ! i guess all the secrets are comming out now, idk why it took so long.
    April 4 at 7:37am

Mikki E Kirlew Now, now, anyone now having anymore difficulty in believing Ms Shanique Myrie damning report of her ordeal in BARBADOS???
    April 4 at 7:51am · 1 person

Karen Lemard Now barbados? Wow dem really a show dem dutty colors
    April 4 at 7:56am

Karen Lemard woieeeee....unuh duttynis a come out a hiding.
    April 4 at 8:02am · 1 person

Dalloviche Atkinson They arent all that its just that our media exposes thevtruth more often than not but other places hide what goes on
    April 4 at 8:59am · 1 person

Peter Gayle Damien Welch,I dont rememer u expressing Sympathy for the Jamaican Lady who was finger-rape ?
    April 4 at 9:04am · 2 people

Brendon Jackie Shaw Alledged Finger Rape. Totally dif. situation.
    April 4 at 9:49am

Errol Williamson This is so true the cover up every crime stat in Barbados the dont like to disclose info because they feel like its a threat to their tourism industry.
    April 4 at 11:07am

Ashantia Howard this happened all back in 2004 and since then the perp has been caught, is this the first time someone from england was ever raped anywhere in the world?
    April 4 at 11:37am

Mikki E Kirlew As a matter of fact, Ms Shanique Myrie did not present her self as ''as Arch Angel'' from heaven, hence the heap of cockamamie crap she did not state her exact business. The point of the matter, Ms Myrie did not violate their Immigration Laws when she presented her landed documents. So all those kackdiced speculators eat crow.
    April 4 at 3:16pm

Andre Cummings Bwoy BARBADOS.... a don't know a don't know...Whats Up Wid all Dis Raping???
    April 5 at 12:51am

Charmaine Hopwood Morris Barbados u can't do more than u time .Time for revelation unno get wa de duck get,F . U. CS)

Nothing Much Will Come Of It

Originally posted by Willi View Post
    Rape victim and former British actress Hilary Heath has accused the Royal Barbados Police Force of failing to warn the public about the threat a serial rapist posed to the country back in 2004.
    Trust me when I say that nothing will come of this. Bilateral diplomacy will ensure that this episode will simply die a quiet death. In the case of the British media, there are too many other major points and issues of interest going on right now for prolonged attention to be paid to this “dot” of a story.

Comment

i see .....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        i see .....
        Just expressing a strong view here, Gamma. Of course, I would not want this serious issue to disappear without being thoroughly investigated, but I think it will, unfortunately, disappear quite quickly.

Comment

understood

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
          X