Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suicide rocks St James High

Suicide rocks St James High

What the hell is wrong with these kids - why are they resorting to suicide? What kind of problem them have so @ such a tender age? It is frightening.

Published: Friday | April 8, 2011 0 Comments

Authurs

Barrington Flemming, Gleaner Writer WESTERN BUREAU:

Camilla Dixon-Satchwell of Tucker, St James, is still grappling with the loss of her 14-year-old daughter, Annalise Authurs, to suicide.

Still in shock and consumed with grief, Dixon-Satchwell wept after a counselling session yesterday morning at the St James High School where Annalise was a grade-eight student.

"I want to be included in any programme that you have to reach out to the students, so I can help and save another Annalise, you hear?" she cried out to some teachers as she was being whisked away in a waiting vehicle by her husband O'neil Satchwell.

The Mount Salem police report that about 11:15 a.m. on Wednesday, Annalise was at home in Rosemount Gardens, St James, with a guardian when she went to get ready for school.

When she did not appear after some time, the guardian made checks and discovered that Annalise's room door was locked. The door was forced open and the teen's body was found hanging from a length of electrical cord.

Annalise's best friend, 15-year-old Oshin Henry, told The Gleaner that she was upset that she did not tell someone what she knew.

"I think I could have helped her even if I had just told her father what she had said," she shared. "Yesterday (Tuesday) in class, she took a lace from one of my classmates and then she looked at the ceiling fan and she went outside and came back in," said Oshin.

"I went behind her and I held her and said, 'Annalise, you're my best friend. I love you dearly, do not do it'. She went to look for the guidance counsellor, and she wasn't in the office. She went to look for the vice-principal, she wasn't there and I stayed with her. I then walked with her off the hill to her father's van."

had problems
    Questioned about why Annalise would have committed suicide, Oshin said her friend told her she had problems but did not say exactly what the problems were.

"She was a caring, loving, down-to-earth person, and she is the best friend that anybody could ever have," said a tearful Oshin.

Principal Noel Williams said he spoke with Annalise on Monday, but she seemed perfectly normal.

"The school community is hurting because she was a good student with potential for greatness. She was always early and performed excellently," Williams said.

"I spoke with the students this morning in devotion and reminded them to report any and everything to the guidance counsellor, teachers, vice-principal and principal; no matter how insignificant they think it may be."
    Dr Beverley Scott, executive director of the Family and Parenting Centre in Montego Bay, said parents and persons working with children must be vigilant in looking for and identifying signs of trouble.

"Usually, when a child sees suicide as the only way out, his or her social and emotional support systems have broken down," said Scott, who is a training child and family therapist. "There is no one at home or school giving the support they need. They are generally suffering from deep-seated emotional hurt."

barrington.flemming@gleanerjm.com
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes
Working...
X